X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

Toy Biz Lord of the Rings 12 inch Special Collectors Series

I am a huge Tolkien fan but did not get much at all of the merch when the movies were coming out, but I recently saw the Frodo figure form this series in the wild and was intrigued...

They are Mego-like in that they are posable and come with real cloth costumes and accessories, but I've never seen one out of box in person. Before I go down the rabbit hole, I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find a checklist of which characters came out for each movie and if anyone had any of these who would be willing to comment on the quality of the figures.

I tried doing some searches and found al ot of links to old ebay auctions and a few for sale on Amazon, but nothing like a comprehensive list of what was released or a reliable review of the figures. I found a couple of sites that had really good lists of the other Toy biz LOTR series, but the only one I found doing the 12 inch cloth series only listed 4 and I found more than that just on bay and Amazon.

So far I saw the following:

Frodo
    Gandalf
    Aragorn
    Legolas
    Gimli
    Arwen
    Galdriel
    Eowyn
    Ringwraith

and some of those had multiple releases packaged for different movies but I don't know if the actual figures or accessories are different.

If anyone can point me towards a good site or has personal experience with these, it would be much appreciated.

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato
  • pmwasson
    Maker
    • Sep 12, 2007

The hobbits and drawfs use the Famous Cover 9" bodies. I bought a few. They are well made.
    sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• MRP
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by pmwasson
      The hobbits and drawfs use the Famous Cover 9" bodies. I bought a few. They are well made.
      Good to know. I had a handful of the Famous covers figures, so I am familiar with those at least. Thanks for the reply.

-M
      "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• ribefex
        Museum Patron
        • Dec 19, 2008

A very nice Bilbo is missing from your list. And I think that Arwen is the only one who has differences (because of the dress).

I collected all this line of figures also because of its MEGO look ... It's a pity that half of them do not have a vinyl head, and the lack of Saruman, Gollum, Sam, Merry and Pippin.
        Next month I can take pictures of the bodies, etc. if you are still interested.

Comment

• MRP
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by ribefex
          A very nice Bilbo is missing from your list. And I think that Arwen is the only one who has differences (because of the dress).

I collected all this line of figures also because of its MEGO look ... It's a pity that half of them do not have a vinyl head, and the lack of Saruman, Gollum, Sam, Merry and Pippin.
          Next month I can take pictures of the bodies, etc. if you are still interested.
          I would be, thank you very much.

-M

Comment

• MRP
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 19, 2016

Welp, I found some of these at a toyshop in Eerie, PA called Actiontoyman that we stopped at on the drive back from Vermont earlier this week (we were visiting family but planned a few stops at comic and toy shops along the way). It's a wonderful place, 3 stories of toys and a room of comics (I took pics but have to upload them to Imugr yet).

I limited myself to 1 of the figs but also picked up one of the smaller scale figures from the Toy Biz Armies of Middle Earth line. In both cases, I chose to get the Nazgul...

-M

Comment

• MRP
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 19, 2016

Thanks to pmwasson, I now have a Frodo from this series in my possession. Thank you very much.

-M
              Last edited by MRP; Sep 25, '18, 7:52 PM.

Comment

• MRP
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 19, 2016

I added another member of the Fellowship from this line. I seem to be accumulating a few of these now, I guess I fell down the rabbit hole. I got a Legolas from the shopGoodwill auction site for $10 + shipping...

he joins the Frodo I got from PMwasson...

and the Nazgul I got last month.

-M

Comment

• Capt Kirk
                  Museum Patron
                  • Jan 15, 2005

I can also sing their praises- great fodder for 1/6 Dungeons & Dragons customs!
                  AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

Comment

• MRP
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 19, 2016

Just added Aragorn to the fold...

-M

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎