X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • glimpy
    Loco Chango
    • Feb 5, 2012

Power records and book set

Does anybody remember these? I still have my Spider-Man and Batman. Does anybody collect these or still have any?

sigpic
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

I have a handful of them...

one Batman (there were several)
    Conan
    Man-Thing
    one Star Trek (there were a couple)

plus other book and record sets, 2 for GI Joe (of 3 that I know of), Black Hole, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Raiders of the Lost Ark, a couple Star Wars related.

I also have on of the Batman story lps but it didn't have a comic (or mine was missing it when I got it but I don't think the lps came with books.

I have a couple of the sets missing the 45 as well (1 Superman and 1 Wonder Woman).

I pick them up when I see them in the wild if they are affordable (prices can vary wildly on them, I got the 2 GI Joe at a 2nd and Charles for $5 each while the same store was asking over $50 for one of the Marvel Power Record and comics, a vendor at a flea market had the Black Hole and the Star Trek one I got for $5 each but was asking over $20 on each of the Star Wars ones, and I got the Raiders and 20,000 Leagues for 50 cents each at a comic shops annual warehouse sale, but others he had in his shop were priced at $15 and up regularly), but I don't specifically go looking for them.

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• glimpy
      Loco Chango
      • Feb 5, 2012

Wow you had a lot of them. I remember my parents buying them for me at Sears surplus
      sigpic

Comment

• glimpy
        Loco Chango
        • Feb 5, 2012

They have a ****load of them on YouTube
        sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Remember them? I co-host a podcast about them!

Hosted by Rob Kelly and Chris Franklin (SUPER MATES PODCAST), the POWER RECORDS PODCAST is devoted to the classic book and record sets of the 1970s and 80s. Where the action comes alive!

Rob and I are actually going to record a new episode this weekend. It's been a while.

Rob's blog site is also a great place to listen, read along, and learn more about Power Records:

The Action "Comes Alive" As You Read!!

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Mr.Marion
            Permanent Member
            • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris

Hosted by Rob Kelly and Chris Franklin (SUPER MATES PODCAST), the POWER RECORDS PODCAST is devoted to the classic book and record sets of the 1970s and 80s. Where the action comes alive!

Rob and I are actually going to record a new episode this weekend. It's been a while.

Rob's blog site is also a great place to listen, read along, and learn more about Power Records:

Chris
            Is there a good site to download mp3s of power records or the haunted Halloween lps ?
            I'd love play them to my coworkers.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
              HULK SMASH!
              • Apr 3, 2010

Power Records are awesome. Still have some of my original ones from when I was a kid... and lots of them on MP3 now, too.
              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

Definitely check out Chris' podcast. I admire Chris for doing it. Chris, hit me up, I'd love to be a guest! I love Power Records, and will always sing their praises. They are the soundtracks of Mego, sharing similar licenses and advertising sensibilities.

Here's my collection of LPs, not including my book and records and 7 inch records:

I spent a ridiculous amount of time about a decade ago scanning in the cover art front and back, fixing blemishes, and digitizing all the stories. I tried to get the best copies I could afford at the time. I'm pretty satisfied with what I have, but I am missing some important ones. I just get a kick out of seeing them all in my iTunes library. I love that I could listen to them for 22 hours and 7 minutes, according to iTunes.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

recently got a GI Joe Secret Mission to Spy Island set with a Joe lot and still have my childhood Marvel/DC and Apes ones.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

I have some of the LP's, and some of the 45's, don't think I have the books for the 45s though. I do want to get the GI Joe ones, one of these days

Comment

• comicmike
                      Persistent Member
                      • Sep 22, 2009

Hedji, that's a very cool interest! Good for you for putting in all that blemish fixing work. That's an amazing passion for the art and story digitization. Wow. Just Wow!

Comment

• YoungOnce
                        Career Member
                        • Aug 29, 2007

I still have a few of those. I just became a grandpa last year and fished them back out of storage so I could introduce them to my grandson. One year old and he starts dancing whenever he hears the Batman 66 theme song.

I'd like to get the Conan 45 set, but that and the Marvel Frankenstein seem to be some of the more rare. They really take me back though... So much fun.

Comment

• Hedji
                          Citizen of Gotham
                          • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by comicmike
                          Hedji, that's a very cool interest! Good for you for putting in all that blemish fixing work. That's an amazing passion for the art and story digitization. Wow. Just Wow!
                          Thanks, buddy! I really appreciate that. Labor of love. If they put out a CD of the library music they used for the soundtracks, I swear I'd buy it. Interesting trivia, in one of the Star Trek stories , they used a small bit of Jerry Goldsmith's Planet of the Apes score. I'm sure it was unlicensed and done under the radar, but it's there.

A small cue, but take a listen to Jerry Goldsmith in Power Records. Skip to 5:45:

Comment

• glimpy
                            Loco Chango
                            • Feb 5, 2012

Chris
                            Thanks for the info I'm definitely a listener
                            sigpic

Comment

• glimpy
                              Loco Chango
                              • Feb 5, 2012

Chris
                              Thanks again for posting that info I simply love it
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎