X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Legend of Link
    Career Member
    • Jun 12, 2010

My Mego Experience

Its 1 am as I write this, so please cut me some slack.

I've remained silent throughout the relaunching of Mego, and it's unfortunate to see how badly its being portrayed by some. Personally, i could not wait to go to our local Target and buy my "first Megos", and I am very grateful i was able to do so. Thank you Mego for gifting me that experience.

Let me set the scene:

I am a 23 year old male; I've played with toys, I collect toys, and I make toys. I'm sitting at my workstation working on a custom, surrounded my customs I've purchased, and new Megos I recently bought. (what a time to be alive )

I did not grow up in the era of Mego, let alone know what one was when i was younger. It wasn't until an unfortunate accident fell upon me that I was gifted Megos and other Mego like toys from people on this very board as a "get well soon package" through the communication of my father. From that point, I did not know how much my life would change. Sure more toys came out, some were more exciting than these dolls, not to mention videos games were on a steep rise, but, no matter what, Megos were there. Fast forward a little from then, Dad and I go on our first Mego Meet. We were both out of our element, driving hours to spend time with people whom he had only communicated with over the internet in a dingy basement of a museum in a random West Virginia town( I guess a golden rule of parenting is : if you're gonna meet strangers from the internet, bring your kid. Thanks Dad ).

That was another major change in my life I hadn't fully grasped the importance of until now, reflecting back.

Fast Forward to right now. I have made many close, dear friends because of this forum and mostly, because of Mego. To Mego, I am eternally grateful that I was able to experience the magic of this toy line. Without it, I wouldn't not be as creative as I am, nor as passionate with toys.

That's why it pains me to see all the negativity surrounding the new release. If anyone gives this post the time of day to read, do me a favor: Please reflect with yourself why Mego is important to you. Look back at how Mego influenced you, or impacted your life. Feel free to share also, I would love to read everyone's story.

Have I ever seen an episode of Charmed or Cheers? Nope. Do I care to own an Alice action figure? Meh. But with 100% of my being, I will continue to buy them so I know I'm doing my part to help Mego like they've helped me. We are Mego.

-The Boy

http://s1172.photobucket.com/albums/r561/Sgordy199/ <- My Mego Pictures
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

Good on you, and I am impressed with the Abbott & Costello figures, those turned out great!!!

For the most part is just old men (women) complaining because they want to do the time warp and go back in time to the 70's to pick up the newest Mego that is out. Fast forward to today, if the shelves are not full people complain, if there no new merchandise people complain, it comes with age.

I wasn't going to get the complete lineup of the figures either, but somehow I did. Then again I customize so this just gives me extra material to work with. Glad your getting to experience the feeling of going to Target and getting NEW figures and glad you joined the Dark Side.
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• mego maniac mark
      Career Member
      • Aug 3, 2010

Great post Legend. I have been to 2 meets in Wheeling about 7-8 years ago. I hope you were one of the youngsters that I did the car races with.
      I thought it was very cool that the Mego heads had their kids there and made it a family thing.
      I love those Abbott & Costello customs. Would love to see Mego do them now.
      I have been driving to a few targets , making calls and overall on the hunt for the new figures. No luck yet, but I am not discouraged.
      People like to complain for the sake of complaint , but I am not that way either.
      The one target in my area had the endcap up with header waiting for the figures. I asked the associate if they had them and she told me they were coming in 8/11.
      So I go back next week. I will not buy them all, but just look forward to buying a couple off the shelf

Cheers
      mego's befo ho's

Comment

• The Bat
        Batman Fanatic
        • Jul 14, 2002

Wow, what a great read and a great story! It's really cool to see a new generation has found as loves our ancient toys. Yes, sometimes we old farts get a little cranky about our dollies(maybe because of the sentiment involved, I don't know)…but most of us come back to our senses and remember why we love and collect Megos.

I still haven't found any Megos yet myself, but I'm not upset...because I've been to two Targets and learned that the Megos are on the way. One end cap has the stickers on the shelves that say Mego!
        sigpic

Comment

• smonte00
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 19, 2005

That’s a great story, Legend. I agree with you. Yes, it’s frustrating not to have every new Mego at our nearest Target, just sitting there for us, but you’re right. Let’s just be thankful that we have them back and it looks like the second wave will be better than the first. By the way, with this brickseek site, it really takes all of the guess work and driving around aimlessly out of the equation. Everyone remember what toy hunting was like before this? Hit or miss, right? You had to be at the store at the right place and right time (to beat the scalpers). Oh, and good luck getting that short packed figure and you didn’t have some guy to bribe at the store that would hold it for you. It’s all good, Mego family. Enjoy the ride!

-Steve

Comment

• Type3Toys
            Home Of The Type3 Body
            • Jan 18, 2005

Sean, it is a good time to be a mego fan, isn't it!
            LOOK
            Action Figure Design & Prototypes
            For Samples See Home -Type 3 Body & Spiderman
            To Contact: type3toys@comcast.net

Comment

• Megotastrophe
              Permanent Member
              • Jun 29, 2018

Not disagreeing. I think this is a very light version of the internet plague of toxic fandom. Look at the Star Wars fans who hate every Star Wars movie. The Star Trek fans who hate everything the Trek makers do. If it doesn't conform to their very narrow range of what is acceptable, they get very unhappy. I agree that just about anything could have been done differently when translating something from one medium to another. Technical issues abound. Learn to find the good and enjoy that. Stop picking everything apart for the thrill of tearing something down. Besides...another 30 years almost all of us will be dead bwahahahaha. We have had this museum in one form or another for 20 years. I was here talking with people the evening the towers fell in NYC back then as Skarabeous. We found some level of comfort then. I have been gone a few years and already I can see the tribalism of collectors and fans settling in like arterial plaque. Anyway...be good to the fellow travellers on your path.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

This is a gilded age for Mego fans. We have variant bodies, major licenses, and hundreds of custom options from multiple manufacturers. All for a core group of hobbyists numbering in the mere thousands. And the home-grown talent and generosity of this forum is amazing and sometimes humbling--like Sean, I've experienced it first-hand.

I think a surfeit of riches and social media has made us at times more impatient, more intolerant, less kind. Mea culpa, but I try to course-correct. We have the luxury of collecting things we want and buying what we like.

Classic Mego and Mego customizing brought us together here, I think it still bonds us. And these new releases still hit those two interests. Consider the new Bela figure: I can't wait to bash him with an Emce costume and card! I love line extensions, why not?

When I was a child, Megos were my favorite toys. They were integral to my life: birthdays, Christmas, Easter, convalescing. I have an associated memory with most vintage Megos I owned back then. (I think that's common here.)

When I was a teen, they were the beginning of my urge to collect. As an adult, they continue to be a source of entertainment, creativity and comfort for me. And for me, the Museum is a big part of that adult experience. I'm here every day, chatting with folks I admire, respect, and care about. Still having fun with Mego--that's the real point.
                Last edited by PNGwynne; Aug 5, '18, 7:53 AM.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hedji
                  Citizen of Gotham
                  • Nov 17, 2012

Great post, and I admire your passion and dedication to give back and support the toys that supported you.

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

Thanks for sharing your story and congrats on obtaining your first Megos. I've got to say the very second I saw your pic, my eyes immediately focused on those Abbott & Costello figures. What a wonderful set of customs! You're off to a great start.

Comment

• noelani72
                      27inaleon
                      • Jun 25, 2002

and that folks, is why I call him The Boy.

He is much wiser than his ole man. Love ya son. Now go make me a Mego.

Comment

• hedrap
                        Permanent Member
                        • Feb 10, 2009

Yeah, Bud & Lou are killing me. The ultimate Halloween display pieces.

Comment

• TrekStar
                          Trek or Treat
                          • Jan 20, 2011

Great story, and like many others I enjoyed seeing your Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein customs,
                          and now you have a Bela Dracula to add with those customs, so hopefully new mego will come out with Chaney Jr
                          Wolfman and Frankenstein's monster, and you'll have your own A & C meet Frankenstein adventures, although Franky
                          might be the Karloff version and not Glenn Strange, but I doubt you would care.

Comment

• Cornelius POTA
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 19, 2011

Very well said, Legend of Link. Keep the faith and good for you and your Dad.

Hope to meet up with you one year at Mego Meet.

Corny POTA
                            Cornelius POTA sigpic MEGO of the Planet Of The Apes :ape:
                            :smiley13: Cornelius is home.
                            I'm in a groove and on the move collecting Mego POTA figures. PM me anytime.

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                              One eyed, wonder
                              • Dec 17, 2009

Originally posted by Legend of Link
                              Its 1 am as I write this, so please cut me some slack.

I've remained silent throughout the relaunching of Mego, and it's unfortunate to see how badly its being portrayed by some. Personally, i could not wait to go to our local Target and buy my "first Megos", and I am very grateful i was able to do so. Thank you Mego for gifting me that experience.

Let me set the scene:

I am a 23 year old male; I've played with toys, I collect toys, and I make toys. I'm sitting at my workstation working on a custom, surrounded my customs I've purchased, and new Megos I recently bought. (what a time to be alive )

I did not grow up in the era of Mego, let alone know what one was when i was younger. It wasn't until an unfortunate accident fell upon me that I was gifted Megos and other Mego like toys from people on this very board as a "get well soon package" through the communication of my father. From that point, I did not know how much my life would change. Sure more toys came out, some were more exciting than these dolls, not to mention videos games were on a steep rise, but, no matter what, Megos were there. Fast forward a little from then, Dad and I go on our first Mego Meet. We were both out of our element, driving hours to spend time with people whom he had only communicated with over the internet in a dingy basement of a museum in a random West Virginia town( I guess a golden rule of parenting is : if you're gonna meet strangers from the internet, bring your kid. Thanks Dad ).

That was another major change in my life I hadn't fully grasped the importance of until now, reflecting back.

Fast Forward to right now. I have made many close, dear friends because of this forum and mostly, because of Mego. To Mego, I am eternally grateful that I was able to experience the magic of this toy line. Without it, I wouldn't not be as creative as I am, nor as passionate with toys.

That's why it pains me to see all the negativity surrounding the new release. If anyone gives this post the time of day to read, do me a favor: Please reflect with yourself why Mego is important to you. Look back at how Mego influenced you, or impacted your life. Feel free to share also, I would love to read everyone's story.

Have I ever seen an episode of Charmed or Cheers? Nope. Do I care to own an Alice action figure? Meh. But with 100% of my being, I will continue to buy them so I know I'm doing my part to help Mego like they've helped me. We are Mego.

-The Boy
                              How dare you have a Wilber and Chick! Is there no justice in the Mego world?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎