Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Neutron X
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 22, 2007

Here is how I do the repairs. Some elastic, buttons, sucker stick, and pegs. This is a Europe version the round disk at waist is not on USA. No cutting of rivit. Do a small "V" cut on side of peg and it pops on.This figure has broken neck peg but can be easily fixed.
    IMG_2959 by edtime5, on Flickr

Comment

• drquest
      ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
      • Apr 17, 2012

I'm always worried about splitting the arms and torso open and they you have to re-glue it all back together.
      Danny(Drquest)
      Captain Action HQ
      Retro shirts and stuff
      More retro shirts
      Stuff For Sale

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

^It's not easy, let me tell you. I did a "factory" reassembly of Bulletman and worrying about damaging the chrome was nerve-wracking. I ended up combining US and Palitoy versions.

BTW Ed, what a nice figure, it's new to me.
        Last edited by PNGwynne; Aug 9, '18, 3:40 PM.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

is that the action team indian?

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Is that it, it would make a great custom barbarian or such. Action Team--German?
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Neutron X
              Persistent Member
              • Dec 22, 2007

Figure is Action Team Indian figure. Was also made for Group Action Joe/Action Joe line in France. Wig comes off just barely glued on.

The USA muscle body chest is not heat sealed unlike some of the Aussie(Toltoys), and some later versions of Group Action Joe that are head sealed. USA Joes are super easy to crack and stay together. The only tricky bits are the biceps. Biceps need to be clamped while glue dries. I prefer Zap a Cap over crazy glue it seems stronger.

You don't need to crack open anything you can still restring Joe with elastic leaving all sealed if you choose. Used to be posted on Oldjoe Infirmary. Use The Wayback Machine and copy instructions. Go back 5 years? I did it with nothing more than a paperclip and elastic before reading his tutorial.

I have been silent for years but this has been driving me nuts. I think I am going to make a You Tube video on how easy a fix this is. Since selling my collection I haven't had the figures to demonstrate but I have them now. I used to believe that telling everyone how you fix things ruins the fun of discovering on your own. Megomuseum has given me a different view that helping each other is the best way for everyone to have fun. Not everyone wants to tinker and find solutions, they just want it fixed ASAP.

Cottswald Muscle body repair kits you have hard plastic joints to replace the crumbling originals for $16-20 and Joe looks great on your shelf.

Oh Yeah! Toy Poloi has many great repairs on You Tube for Action Man, Mego, Micronauts, Star Wars ect. repairs worth checking out.

Comment

• drquest
                ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                • Apr 17, 2012

I posted up the elastic method up earlier in this thread, not as tight, but it does save popping the rivets and cracking them open, but these methods certainly should last a long time.
                Danny(Drquest)
                Captain Action HQ
                Retro shirts and stuff
                More retro shirts
                Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Neutron X
                  Persistent Member
                  • Dec 22, 2007

Originally posted by drquest
                  I posted up the elastic method up earlier in this thread, not as tight, but it does save popping the rivets and cracking them open, but these methods certainly should last a long time.
                  I think your right. I have the figure in my head that the elastic lasts for about 20 years. Not a perfect solution but easy. You can use the elastic method with pegs on the elbows. The pegs don't have to be anchored to work. The elastic around the rivit keeps it in place and the peg makes it more poseable.

Comment

• RonnyG
                    Career Member
                    • Apr 23, 2014

Hey everyone! I started this thread way back in August of last year....so after months of procrastinating, I'm glad to report that I finally repaired my Vintage Muscle Body GI Joe today using the restringing method. It may not be the best solution, but it was cheap and easy. Now he is in one piece and can hold poses, so I'm happy! Thanks to everyone who replied with your suggestions.

I found the following webpage that Danny(Drquest) recommended most helpful because it was simple and easy to understand, plus its for the muscle body type GI Joe only: http://kungfugrip.mysite.com/restrin...e_body_joe.htm

Here are some pictures of MY GI Joe before and after:

Last edited by RonnyG; Apr 7, '19, 6:03 PM.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

He looks great, ready for more action.

Comment

• Neutron X
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 22, 2007

Looks great!!! Congrats on doing it yourself!

Comment

• jwyblejr
                          galactic yo-yo
                          • Apr 6, 2006

I'll have to keep all of these methods in mind when I go to repair my Bulletman. Just picked one up for $50,minus his right arm. Left arm is in pieces.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                            galactic yo-yo
                            • Apr 6, 2006

Just found this video on YouTube:

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osQl3gdK2Zg&list=LLyvyq_aBJpUvRsFeRxWWcOw& index=2&t=1s

Comment

• RonnyG
                              Career Member
                              • Apr 23, 2014

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                              Thanks for the link. That was interesting. I did see those kits for sale, and wondered how they worked, so this video was useful. I do think you'll get a better range of movement in his arms doing it this way, but you have to break him open, which I don't like, plus the kit costs a little more than a the elastic cord method. Funny that he still used his own elastic for the head instead of the one provided in the kit.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                                galactic yo-yo
                                • Apr 6, 2006

More than likely he's use to doing that method from having to put back on Action Man heads. Plus with the restring kit,there's a little metal tube you have to pull the elastic through and then crimp it shut.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎