Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP!!! My GI JOE Needs Repair!

Images

HELP!!! My GI JOE Needs Repair!

This is my childhood GI JOE from the 1970s. It looks like he was blown up on the battlefield!! Actually, he was just stored in my parent's hot, humid attic, and when I finally retrieved him, his head, and arms have fallen apart, but surprisingly his legs are still attached (for how long I don't know).
    I want to put him back together again. Is this something I can do myself?? What tools do I need?
    I tried Googling, "repair GI Joe," but the only thing that comes up are the smaller 1980s action figures.
    Does anyone have a tutorial for this? Or can recommend a doll repair shop.
    How much is this going to cost? I don't want to pay too much. I'd rather just buy a new one if it's going to cost me "an arm and a leg!"
    Thanks for any suggestions.
    IMG_20180804_120009.jpg

Images
    this is a muscle body joe and the rubber used for the arms and neck breaks down over time. you will never find an unrestored one not in pieces. they are relatively easy to repair. Cotswold sells a repair kit, which I believe comes with instructions. there are also people on ebay who do the repair for a fee, I have not been collecting Joes in several years so not sure what the going rate is on it

Images
    fyi

to buy an already restored MB Joe tends to be expensive

Images
    Blog Entries
    I repaired my Bulletman using Cotswold kits. I spent some extra money getting a rivet press, but it made the results look very professional, so I felt it was worth it.

I think there is also a method using elastic, but I'm not familiar with it.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; POTA Fortress signal-flasher--top mirrored portion or mirror sticker; POTA Forbidden Zone prison doors, walls, bar; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Images
    Thanks for pointing me to the right direction. I think I've found it!
    Untitled.jpg

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PNGwynne View Post
    I repaired my Bulletman using Cotswold kits. I spent some extra money getting a rivet press, but it made the results look very professional, so I felt it was worth it.

I think there is also a method using elastic, but I'm not familiar with it.
    Is a rivet press required? I don't have one.

Images
    I just repaired a Bulletman and Eagle Eye muscle body a few weeks ago. I used the elastic method and it went very quickly and doesn't require any new rivets or breaking apart the arms.

Here's a link to how to do that one. http://kungfugrip.mysite.com/restrin...e_body_joe.htm

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RonnyG View Post
    Is a rivet press required? I don't have one.
    no it is not. I never press the rivets in the elbow joints. unless you are playing with them, the rivet will not fall out. I have rebuilt at least 20-25 MB Joes. but I never tried the elastic method drquest mentions

Images
    Blog Entries
    No, you can buy an inexpensive rivet punch set on ebay and use a hammer. But I'm not very dexterous with tools and I knew a press would give a smooth, safe result.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; POTA Fortress signal-flasher--top mirrored portion or mirror sticker; POTA Forbidden Zone prison doors, walls, bar; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Images
    Blog Entries
    Dr. Quest, thank you for linking the elastic method. That's how my vintage Torak is repaired.