X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RonnyG
    Career Member
    • Apr 23, 2014

HELP!!! My GI JOE Needs Repair!

This is my childhood GI JOE from the 1970s. It looks like he was blown up on the battlefield!! Actually, he was just stored in my parent's hot, humid attic, and when I finally retrieved him, his head, and arms have fallen apart, but surprisingly his legs are still attached (for how long I don't know).
    I want to put him back together again. Is this something I can do myself?? What tools do I need?
    I tried Googling, "repair GI Joe," but the only thing that comes up are the smaller 1980s action figures.
    Does anyone have a tutorial for this? Or can recommend a doll repair shop.
    How much is this going to cost? I don't want to pay too much. I'd rather just buy a new one if it's going to cost me "an arm and a leg!"
    Thanks for any suggestions.
    IMG_20180804_120009.jpg
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

this is a muscle body joe and the rubber used for the arms and neck breaks down over time. you will never find an unrestored one not in pieces. they are relatively easy to repair. Cotswold sells a repair kit, which I believe comes with instructions. there are also people on ebay who do the repair for a fee, I have not been collecting Joes in several years so not sure what the going rate is on it

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

fyi

to buy an already restored MB Joe tends to be expensive

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

I repaired my Bulletman using Cotswold kits. I spent some extra money getting a rivet press, but it made the results look very professional, so I felt it was worth it.

I think there is also a method using elastic, but I'm not familiar with it.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• RonnyG
          Career Member
          • Apr 23, 2014

Thanks for pointing me to the right direction. I think I've found it!
          Untitled.jpg

Comment

• RonnyG
            Career Member
            • Apr 23, 2014

Originally posted by PNGwynne
            I repaired my Bulletman using Cotswold kits. I spent some extra money getting a rivet press, but it made the results look very professional, so I felt it was worth it.

I think there is also a method using elastic, but I'm not familiar with it.
            Is a rivet press required? I don't have one.

Comment

• drquest
              ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
              • Apr 17, 2012

I just repaired a Bulletman and Eagle Eye muscle body a few weeks ago. I used the elastic method and it went very quickly and doesn't require any new rivets or breaking apart the arms.

Here's a link to how to do that one. http://kungfugrip.mysite.com/restrin...e_body_joe.htm
              Danny(Drquest)
              Captain Action HQ
              Retro shirts and stuff
              More retro shirts
              Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by RonnyG
                Is a rivet press required? I don't have one.
                no it is not. I never press the rivets in the elbow joints. unless you are playing with them, the rivet will not fall out. I have rebuilt at least 20-25 MB Joes. but I never tried the elastic method drquest mentions

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

No, you can buy an inexpensive rivet punch set on ebay and use a hammer. But I'm not very dexterous with tools and I knew a press would give a smooth, safe result.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

Dr. Quest, thank you for linking the elastic method. That's how my vintage Torak is repaired.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                      I never press the rivets in the elbow joints. unless you are playing with them, the rivet will not fall out.
                      Not finishing the rivet would make my OCD go off lol.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                        Muddling through
                        • Oct 4, 2008

i understand completely. I bought the punch set but I was afraid to actually hit it hard enough to set the rivet. afraid the forearm would break

Comment

• RonnyG
                          Career Member
                          • Apr 23, 2014

Thanks everyone for your help, suggestions, and links! I appreciate it! I might try the re-stringing method.
                          I didn't realize that there is a neck post stuck inside his head!!!
                          It's really stuck inside. I will try and see if I can get it out first without damaging him before I start purchasing the other tools needed.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by RonnyG
                            Thanks for pointing me to the right direction. I think I've found it!
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]23443[/ATTACH]
                            Ronny, Cotswold is a fantastic company to deal with. They also carry clothes, boots, and accessories for your Joe.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                              i understand completely. I bought the punch set but I was afraid to actually hit it hard enough to set the rivet. afraid the forearm would break
                              That was my fear, too and so I got a press. I should buy more MB Joes for it to be worthwhile, but now there are Geyper reissues.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎