Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TomStrong
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 22, 2011

I watched it this evening, totally enjoyed it.

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
      I know MOTU was originally planned as a Conan line, Skeletor is very Thulsa Doom.
      Development of MOTU predates Mattel's cancelled Conan line.

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Interesting link, thanks! I appreciate the info and another perspective. I'm trying to recall where I heard the Conan theory, I thought it was canonical. But I may have read it in the Art of He-Man book.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

they were planning it as a Conan line, until they realized Conan was rated R. the early designs for HeMan predated conan but it was Conan that brought it to the forefront and got the line going
          I enjoyed the documentary, watched it yesterday

Comment

• cjefferys
            Duke of Gloat
            • Apr 23, 2006

I watched this over the weekend, it was really enjoyable and I don't even collect the line.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

Saw it this weekend and I really enjoyed it as well. The scene of the kid in front of the TV with the Power Sword got to me.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

That She-Ra myth seems to be the "Star Wars killed Mego" garbage but in He-Man terms. I know it was midly addressed in this movie but I felt it also explained what really happened, grew too fast, key early developers left, late shipments signalled a loss of faith in the line and kids moved on.

I sincerely remember when the movie hit it felt like He-man was sort of dead at retail. Kids were more interested in Transformers and GI Joe.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• hedrap
                  Permanent Member
                  • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by palitoy
                  ...I felt it also explained what really happened, grew too fast, key early developers left, late shipments signalled a loss of faith in the line and kids moved on.

I sincerely remember when the movie hit it felt like He-man was sort of dead at retail. Kids were more interested in Transformers and GI Joe.
                  Yep to all that. The movie release was so late, it felt like a last ditch effort to revive the line, not capitalize on it.

Re: Conan. That's the part of the story that's always fogged up. Mattel held a Conan movie toy license at that time, but were tired of paying fees for lines that weren't successful. The link Werewolf posted shows the trackback from Sweet is to '79 with Taylor's Frazetta inspired Conan. Conan The Barbarian was in the works since '77. Mattel knew this. Star Wars made all fantasy licensing a hot commodity.

Oliver Stone was the original writer, possible director for Conan. His approach was post-apocalyptic, like Thundarr. The blend of swords and tech was the trend. While I don't believe Taylor and Sweet had direct knowledge of what was going on with Conan's development, I don't question they knew Matty was tired of paying licenses. So Matty tracked against trends while developers worked on knock-offs. '82 Conan hits big. '83 MOTU toys hit big. '84 Conan the Destroyer.

The problem Dino and Pressman had was Frazetta wasn't credited as a producer/designer etc...for the movie. He didn't sign on for whatever reason. If he had, Mattel would be paying royalties. They got extremely lucky.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                    Museum Paramedic
                    • Aug 31, 2005

Oh yeah, I always thought of the movie as some sort of revival. It was produced and released way too late to ever capitalize on the toy line while it was a hot property.

- Ian
                    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Battle Ram
                      • Sep 16, 2017

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                      Interesting link, thanks! I appreciate the info and another perspective. I'm trying to recall where I heard the Conan theory, I thought it was canonical. But I may have read it in the Art of He-Man book.
                      The way Mark Taylor tells it, someone in marketing started pursuing the Conan license while they were in the middle of developing He-Man, which he called a colossal mistake. Luckily the judge in the case ruled that pointing out that He-Man was a half-naked muscle-bound character was not enough to argue for infringement (there are a ton of similar Conan-like characters in comic book stories throughout the 70s and early 80s). Interestingly Mark did the design work for the abandoned Conan line as well.

Mark was definitely influenced by Conan, but also Prince Valiant, Flash Gordon and a host of others.

Edit: here's an abbreviated timeline, with Conan stuff in bold:

1979 – Torak (He-Man) & early Skeletor concept, by Mark Taylor
                      Aug 15, 1979 – Category Management Teams memo
                      May 22, 1980 – Fantasy Make Believe idea disclosure form
                      November 3, 1980 – Megaton Man project request form, Roger Sweet
                      Late November, 1980 – Work started on “He-Man trio”, Roger Sweet with Mark Taylor
                      Mid-December 1980 – He-Man trio presented at Mattel Product Conference
                      December 30, 1980 – He-Man Characters & Accessories idea disclosure form
                      Early 1981 – He-Man prototype, by Tony Guerrero
                      1981 – Bird Man (Stratos) concept, by Mark Taylor
                      1981 – Mer-Man concept, by Mark Taylor
                      1981 – Castle Grayskull concept, by Mark Taylor
                      1981 – Battle Cat concept, by Mark Taylor
                      1981 – Sensor (Zodac) concept, by Mark Taylor
                      1981 – Heroic Figure Battle Tester (Castle Grayskull combat trainer) concept, by Mark Taylor
                      1981 – Heroic Figure (He-Man) concept, by Mark Taylor
                      1981 – Heroic Figure (He-Man) battles plant monster concept, by Mark Taylor
                      January 23, 1981 – Drawing by Colin Bailey depicting Mark Taylor working on He-Man project, titled “Death of Mark Taylor From Night Visitation”
                      March 30, 1981 – De-Man (Skeletor) concept, by Mark Taylor
                      April 1, 1981 – Man-At-Arms concept, by Mark Taylor
                      April 2 1981 – Tree Man (Beast Man) concept, by Mark Taylor
                      April 6 1981 – He-Man (tan boots) concept, by Mark Taylor
                      April 7 1981 – Battle Ram (tank treads version) concept, by Ted Mayer
                      April 24, 1981 – Memorandum urging negotiation for Conan license
                      May 3, 1981 – He-Man (red/yellow boots) concept, by Mark Taylor
                      May 5, 1981 – CPI draft licensing agreement sent
                      May 28 1981 – Female Warrior (Teela) concept, by Mark Taylor
                      May 28, 1981 – Battle Ram control drawing, by Ted Mayer
                      June 3 1981 – Sorceress concept, by Mark Taylor
                      July 14, 1981 – Memorandum discussing Mattel’s presentation of He-Man to Toys ‘R’ Us
                      July 23, 1981 – September 21, 1981 – Tony Guerrero worked on Conan toys
                      July 31, 1981– CPI and Mattel entered license agreement to manufacture toys based on Conan movie

Last edited by Battle Ram; Sep 7, '18, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎