• Show
Clear All
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

The Power Of Grayskull: He-Man Documentary on Netflix

Coming to Netflix August 24th.

From He-Man.org:

Power of Grayskull: The Definitive History of He-Man and the MOTU documentary from Definitive Films will debut on Netflix this August 24th!

An astute reader of fan culture on the Internet, particularly those of us in the MOTU community, might have noticed a few things happening over the past week or so. These events line up pretty nicely, especially if you're one of those who backed Definitive Film's forthcoming feature documentary The Power of Grayskull: The Definitive History of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe.

You probably remember that this film, from a mash-up of the filmmakers behind Turtle Power: The Definitive History of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Nintendo Quest: The Most Unofficial and Unauthorized Nintendo Documentary Ever!, has been in production for quite a while, although they did have an exciting screening of their most recent cut of the film at Power-Con last year...

Well, it finally looks like they're gearing up for a release!

Kickstarter backers have been receiving communications suggesting that tier reward packages will be processing very soon and, even more interesting, sites tracking Netflix's release schedules recently let a cat or two out of the bag.

Below is a paragraph from shortlist.com:

"The Power of Grayskull: The Definitive History of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe

Cast: He-Man, Dolph Lundgren
    This Kickstarter-funded documentary featuring the one and only Dolph Lundgren is an in-depth look at one of the 1980s' best-loved relics, a toy line turned cartoon turned movie turned everything. The team behind this made the excellent Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle documentary Turtle Power (also on Netflix) and really know their onions.

Coming to Netflix on August 24th.

I reached out to the filmmakers for their comment and received the email version of shrugs because they aren't able to comment on any release plans at this time.

I did confirm however that they have plans in place to ensure that backers will have a chance to watch the documentary before any mass distribution, regardless of what how quickly the packages can be mailed out.

Over the last few years, I've gotten to know these guys fairly well and I'm sure that, whatever they've planned, they're taking the needs of the fan community and their Kickstarter backers very seriously and no matter what happens, we'll see the results of their hard work soon!"
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Wow, I thought this was dead and the Toys That Made Us kinda beat them to the punch since then. Hopefully it will be good.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

I don't collect the toys but I'll watch this because I'm a junkie for this kind of thing.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mary Canary
        Career Member
        • Jun 21, 2017

I hope it is on Canada Netflix!

Comment

• huedell
          Museum Ball Eater
          • Dec 31, 2003

Love me my MOTU... so looking forward!
          "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• cjefferys
            Duke of Gloat
            • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by palitoy
            I don't collect the toys but I'll watch this because I'm a junkie for this kind of thing.
            Yeah, this.

Originally posted by Mary Canary
            I hope it is on Canada Netflix!
            As long as Netflix obtained international distribution rights we should be good.

Comment

• ODBJBG
              Permanent Member
              • May 15, 2009

I'll definitely watch this, but I'd rather see Toy Masters. That was the first He-Man toy doc... But it's been 7 years and still hasn't seen release. So I guess this will do.

Comment

• ZombieJimC
                Persistent Member
                • Mar 12, 2014

This looks cool.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                  HULK SMASH!
                  • Apr 3, 2010

Review over at He-Man World:
                  “Power of Grayskull: The Definitive History of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe” A review by Brian C. Baer The Masters of the Universe franchise has been going through a cultural reappraisal of late. [...]

And a new trailer:
                  This is "Power Of Grayskull: Teaser" by FauxPop TV on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them.
                  PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• comicmike
                    Persistent Member
                    • Sep 22, 2009

Cool,tx for sharing this announcement

Comment

• jacoblb
                      Persistent Member
                      • May 7, 2009

Love MOTU and the TTMU episode. If it's as good as the TTMU episode then I'll be satisfied.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                        HULK SMASH!
                        • Apr 3, 2010

Watched the documentary yesterday. Overall, very well put together.
                        I would have liked more content covering the early era of MOTU (pre-Filmation)... but still, can't really complain.
                        Lots of fascinating looks at concept art and early character designs.
                        (And for fans of the movie, there are some awesome and informative interview segments featuring Frank Langella.)
                        Definitely worth watching.
                        PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• ZombieJimC
                          Persistent Member
                          • Mar 12, 2014

I watched this on Friday when it first became available and I really enjoyed it.

Comment

• Mary Canary
                            Career Member
                            • Jun 21, 2017

It's a nice companion to the Toys That Made Us episode.
                            I especially liked the segment about the live action movie, with star interviews and production artwork of the characters (Saurod, Teela, even She-Ra!).

Comment

• palitoy
                              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                              • Jun 16, 2001

Cool, I'm going to check this out this weekend.
                              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎