X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Bat
    Batman Fanatic
    • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by toothaction
    Not agreeing or disagreeing, but I'm curious - who are some of the current pencil pushers that you folk like?
    Well, I mentioned John Byrne, but thought that was a pipe dream because he was pretty P.O.'d when he left Marvel...but I just found out he's in talks to return and he's pretty excited about it!! 😀 And I can't think of anyone better to relaunch the Fantastic Four than John!!
    sigpic

Comment

• WannabeMego
      Made in the USA
      • May 2, 2003

Throw me in the camp that finds that artwork extremely underwhelming...definitely NOT My Cup-of-Tea...Hard Pass.
      Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• toothaction
        Career Member
        • Jul 15, 2017

Originally posted by The Bat
        Well, I mentioned John Byrne, but thought that was a pipe dream because he was pretty P.O.'d when he left Marvel...but I just found out he's in talks to return and he's pretty excited about it!! 😀 And I can't think of anyone better to relaunch the Fantastic Four than John!!
        Originally posted by WannabeMego
        Throw me in the camp that finds that artwork extremely underwhelming...definitely NOT My Cup-of-Tea...Hard Pass.
        Yes, but who do you guys like that's currently working for the big two? I'm mean, I'd raise Kirby from the grave if I could, and sure, Byrne did great work, but what new kids do it for you?

Honestly, so you know where I'm coming from, I can't think of anyone in the current roster that hits my sweet spots... except for maybe Cliff Chang? Does he even work for the biggies any more?
        >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• hedrap
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 10, 2009

If this was Tom Sciola and Steve Rude with Byrne writing...sold.

Comment

• WannabeMego
            Made in the USA
            • May 2, 2003

To Name a Few...Jerry Ordway, Alan Davis, Ron Frenz, Ron Lim...all are more then capable of meeting current page deadlines.

Comment

• The Bat
              Batman Fanatic
              • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by toothaction
              Yes, but who do you guys like that's currently working for the big two? I'm mean, I'd raise Kirby from the grave if I could, and sure, Byrne did great work, but what new kids do it for you?

Honestly, so you know where I'm coming from, I can't think of anyone in the current roster that hits my sweet spots... except for maybe Cliff Chang? Does he even work for the biggies any more?
              Well, the next best thing to raising Jack Kirby from the dead is Jose Ladronn:

Other picks for me would be Andy Kubert. I like his retro style...reminds of his dad. Another choice for me(and he already works for Marvel)is Mark Bagley.
              sigpic

Comment

• WannabeMego
                Made in the USA
                • May 2, 2003

Originally posted by The Bat
                Well, the next best thing to raising Jack Kirby from the dead is Jose Ladronn...
                If you want to see his previous attempt, check out Fantastic Four Annual '99 (Written by Claremont):

Link: http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Fantast...ual_Vol_1_1999

Comment

• hedrap
                  Permanent Member
                  • Feb 10, 2009

Tom Scioli FF cover:

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                    Banned
                    • Jun 23, 2001

The one thing that people aren't quite grasping is that Marvel, more than DC, has no desire to cater ANYTHING to older readers. It's just a fact. Even the successful things like Avengers 1.1, the story between Avengers 15 and 16, done by Barry Kitson. Other than that they have these NEW artists that really aren't any good. Don't get me started on Del Mundo AWFUL art on the new Thor series. As long as Disney has "bean counters" in charge...the veteran comic book reader/collector will get nothing. Marvel just keeps pumping out 10 million variant covers per issue guaranteeing that the books initial print run sells out making their stock holders happy. It's almost like the "free magazine" push years ago online where you could get free subscriptions to a magazine...it was a scam to keep the advertisers happy and the stockholders happy. It's pretty sad because there are more than enough viable artists and writers that aren't getting any work these days.

Comment

• The Bat
                      Batman Fanatic
                      • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
                      The one thing that people aren't quite grasping is that Marvel, more than DC, has no desire to cater ANYTHING to older readers. It's just a fact. Even the successful things like Avengers 1.1, the story between Avengers 15 and 16, done by Barry Kitson. Other than that they have these NEW artists that really aren't any good. Don't get me started on Del Mundo AWFUL art on the new Thor series. As long as Disney has "bean counters" in charge...the veteran comic book reader/collector will get nothing. Marvel just keeps pumping out 10 million variant covers per issue guaranteeing that the books initial print run sells out making their stock holders happy. It's almost like the "free magazine" push years ago online where you could get free subscriptions to a magazine...it was a scam to keep the advertisers happy and the stockholders happy. It's pretty sad because there are more than enough viable artists and writers that aren't getting any work these days.
                      Wow! You're absolutely right! I guess you can add me to the "older readers" category.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Gadgeteer
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 16, 2014

I bought it not really thinking about the art or writing. Just glad to have the comic back up and going and Marvel not playing petty games with the characters that started it all for them. Yes I'd love Byrne to come back and do another FF run but he didn't even do a cover variant for #1 like Perez and Simonson did. I read that he might be coming back for some X-Men book, maybe.
                        sigpic

Comment

• MEMEGO
                          Career Member
                          • Sep 6, 2007

Dr. Doom in a towel?
                          Not using armour any longer or robots, just using magic and the mask.
                          Whose stupid idea is this? totally dumb.
                          In addition, the art sucked big time. just like about 99.9% of marvel comics does now a days.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎