Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jeannie and Dracula review from a doll/action figure collector.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Jeannie and Dracula review from a doll/action figure collector.

I'm probably one of the few here that collects dolls and action figures so can maybe give a little different perspective to my review.

Jeannie 2 pack.

First of all, the box is ginormous. The width could be easily cut in half and still have the back drop. Half of the box is empty. The bottle was severely bent by how it was tied into the box. Had to heat a cup of water in the microwave for 90 seconds and then soak the bottle for 30 seconds to straighten it. It's also not level on the bottom and kinda leans.

Now, on to the dolls.

You can tell they didn't have the actor's likenesses. It's obvious who they are and they look like the characters. But they don't look like Barbara Eden and Larry Hagman. They are both a bit generic. Jeannie is helped by the lovely paint deco they gave her face. The clothes are nice. Jeannie's especially. Her pants are very sheer. More so than Jeannie's actual costume. So, thankfully the did wisely give her little painted panties underneath. The hair is nicer than expected. Not classic Barbie hair quality but not budget hair either. For the price point, it's nice. Maybe a little dry feeling on the ends. Oh, I almost forgot, she doesn't have her little hat under the veil. That was a little disappointing. Major Nelson's clothes aren't as fancy. Not terrible just more simple in comparison to Jeannie. The majority of the detail like buttons and medals are painted on.

As nice as the Jeannie set was, Dracula really shines. Probably one of the best if not the best Bela sculpts I've seen on a figure. In person it's amazing, pictures online really haven't really done it justice. The clothes are fantastic. Much nicer than you'd expect at the price point. Near collector doll quality on a $14.99 figure. Lots of extra details. The bowtie, the lined cape, the little pearlized buttons on the vest, the little white handkerchief , etc. Puts Major Nelson's outfit to shame. Lastly, the unique hands are a nice touch. Really adds to the figure. The only negative is the tightness of the jacket prevents you from fully moving the shoulders and raising his arms.
    Last edited by Werewolf; Aug 1, '18, 8:37 PM. Reason: typos
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

You really think you are one of the only people here who collects dolls and action figures? Mego figures are dolls. We all collect dolls.

Great review!

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

I just noticed Jeannie's hair is very thinly rooted. There's only one of circle of rooted hair that goes from the bangs around the back of the neck that's then pulled up into the ponytail. It's not rooted up the scalp. If you undo the ponytail you are going to have a bald head with a crown of hair around the bottom. That's disappointing. Not a big deal for adult collectors I suppose. But it will limit the combing and styling play for kids.

The heads are also very hard. Not the soft squishy stuff of the vintage figures.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
        You really think you are one of the only people here who collects dolls and action figures? Mego figures are dolls. We all collect dolls.

Great review!
        Ha, yeah, but you know mean. Dolls like Barbies and Jem.

I agree I think Mego figures are dolls too but I try not to call them that because a few people over the years have been really touchy about not calling them action figures.

Comment

• monitor_ep
          Talkative Member
          • May 11, 2013

So funny growing up in the 70's this was as close as I was allowed to collect dolls so I get it. Nice review.
          Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by monitor_ep
            So funny growing up in the 70's this was as close as I was allowed to collect dolls so I get it. Nice review.
            Thank you.

Here's a comparison with the Jeannie Barbie.

The Barbie has way WAAAYYYY nicer hair and in a more accurate style. Plus she has the little hat and real panties. The Mego figure wins in articulation and can stand unassisted.

Comment

• rche
              channeling Bob Wills
              • Mar 26, 2008

I know that is not a Barbara Eden sculpt, but it is one of my favorites for a female mego style figure. Awesome review. It is a bit of a let down when you find things like the rooting on the hair, but it seems that most rooted figures take the path of least resistance as to how much hair and what the root pattern is.

Comment

• RonnyG
                Career Member
                • Apr 23, 2014

Originally posted by monitor_ep
                I know how you feel. I collected the Star Wars action figures when I was a kid, but my mom wouldn't let me buy the Princess Leia because she was for girls. I'm sure she was disappointed when my friend gave Leia to me as a birthday gift.
                I also had the Six Million Dollar Man toys, and my friend Sheryl, had the Bionic Woman doll. I was so jealous because I thought The Bionic Woman show was way better than the Six Million Dollar Man. I obtained her much later as an adult. I found her at a flea market, and now she finally sits between my Steve and Oscar Goldman on my shelf.

Comment

• Mary Canary
                  Career Member
                  • Jun 21, 2017

This is a great review, and I love your Princess of Power backdrop!

The Jeannie figure looks really great, especially her face-up, but just the general detailing of the clothing overall. I would be tempted to get her, but being in Canada and having more limited access to the new Megos, I'm just going to get the ones I really, really love. Plus, I always preferred Bewitched over I Dream of Jeannie, so I'll wait and maybe we'll get a Bewitched figure soon. (She won't have the same fancy iconic fashion, though... I mean, Samantha was a housewife, she didn't really wander around in her witch costume.)

I like that they gave her painted on undies. Just like Tootie! Yes, fabric undies might have been nicer, but it's another little touch that makes the figure fun, right?

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by Mary Canary

The Jeannie figure looks really great, especially her face-up, but just the general detailing of the clothing overall. I would be tempted to get her, but being in Canada and having more limited access to the new Megos, I'm just going to get the ones I really, really love. Plus, I always preferred Bewitched over I Dream of Jeannie, so I'll wait and maybe we'll get a Bewitched figure soon. (She won't have the same fancy iconic fashion, though... I mean, Samantha was a housewife, she didn't really wander around in her witch costume.)

I like that they gave her painted on undies. Just like Tootie! Yes, fabric undies might have been nicer, but it's another little touch that makes the figure fun, right?
                    Bewitched would be awesome, and I can picture her getting released in a witch outfit.

Comment

• SKotK
                      Career Member
                      • Mar 11, 2014

I like Mego.

--SKot
                      Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• RonnyG
                        Career Member
                        • Apr 23, 2014

I found the Jeannie 2-pack today at Target! Last one on the shelf. I have a question about her hair. She has a section of hair that is braided. I assume it's supposed to be wrapped around her ponytail where her hat would be, except mine looks like it came undone and is pointing out. Am I right? How do others look?
                        IMG_20180802_173241.jpg

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

Yes, the braided part should be the top knot of the pony tail. Wrapped underneath the veil. Basically where Jeannie's hat would be.

Comment

• MIB41
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Sep 25, 2005

Excellent review! I agree that holding Dracula in your hands is really that defining moment to appreciate the quality of the head sculpt. Hands down, that is the best Dracula figure (Bela style) made to date. It honestly looks like it was made to be included with the EMCE monster series, when you look at the general quality of sculpt, hands, and clothes. Perhaps that was the version Paul couldn't get approval for at the time they were making those? It's definitely an excellent piece.

Comment

• RonnyG
                              Career Member
                              • Apr 23, 2014

Originally posted by Mary Canary
                              Plus, I always preferred Bewitched over I Dream of Jeannie, so I'll wait and maybe we'll get a Bewitched figure soon. (She won't have the same fancy iconic fashion, though... I mean, Samantha was a housewife, she didn't really wander around in her witch costume.)
                              I like Bewitched better, too! If they do put her in her witch costume, I hope it's similar to the one she actually wore on the show and not the black dress version from the cartoon opening (like Barbie did).
                              Her cape should have an emerald green lining. Or is it teal?
                              3d319737ebae86a26785715fd4c66073.jpg
                              Last edited by RonnyG; Aug 4, '18, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎