Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What ever happened to the Super 7 Shogun Warriors action figures?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tmthor
    God of Knock-offs
    • Nov 29, 2005

What ever happened to the Super 7 Shogun Warriors action figures?

They showed them then they just vanished i was not dreaming was I?
  • ODBJBG
    Permanent Member
    • May 15, 2009

I'd like to know too. Super7 isn't very interactive with people, they never answer questions (or rarely do) on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. I know the communicate some with the MOTU community, but outside of someone nailing them down at a convention, it seems hard to get answers. Unfortunately I don't think anyone has asked them. I was SUPER looking forward to that myself. I hope they're still coming, but it's been ages now without a peep.

I am curious if perhaps they ran into licensing issues what with all the different characters involved.

Comment

• tmthor
      God of Knock-offs
      • Nov 29, 2005

I was wondering that myself. I had heard one time the Mazinga licencing is a nightmare it was supposendly one of the reasons Jim Terry had to replace Great Mazinger on the Force Five show with the Spaceketeers (Starzinger) due to Rights issues. I am wondering if 3B still has the rights tied up because of their "Tranzor z" version of the character.

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by ODBJBG

I am curious if perhaps they ran into licensing issues what with all the different characters involved.
        I have to think that or prohibitive cost is probably the stumbling block, they have a built in audience for such things so it can't be consumer apathy.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• hedrap
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 10, 2009

Didn't they get Godzilla to market? If Goji didn't sell well, there;s no need to throw good money after bad.

Comment

• ODBJBG
            Permanent Member
            • May 15, 2009

Originally posted by hedrap
            Didn't they get Godzilla to market? If Goji didn't sell well, there;s no need to throw good money after bad.
            That's something entirely different. We're talking about the ReAction figures with the old Shogun Warriors design. The Godzilla you're thinking of is the Toynami one. And I don't know if it succeeded or failed, but if it failed, it was undoubtedly because of the price point. It wasn't an accurate recreation of the classic figure, was sort of it's own thing and cost more than buying a vintage one. Kinda missed the mark on several levels, IMO. But for all I know, it sold well.

But the Super7 ReAction figures were of all the classic Shogun Warriors, but not Godzilla.

Comment

• hedrap
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 10, 2009

OK. I thought that was their release too. Thanks-

Comment

• kinostadt
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 14, 2004

I've purchased several ReAction lines, and I've skipped a number of the figures that didn't interest me. I'm definitely not a completist when it comes to these. But the Shogun line was the one I was looking forward to most. I'm guessing there is a licensing snag. Hopefully they work it out and these eventually get made.

Comment

• Spyweb007
                  Persistent Member
                  • Apr 18, 2006

they might just be behind schedule, The Apes line took a year longer than expected if I'm not mistaken. The Shogun Warriors were shown at the same Toy Fair originally, along with some other lines I don't think we've seen come out yet.

Comment

• Remco Monster
                    GLOWS in the Dark!
                    • May 3, 2006

I think the 3 3/4" Robotech figures were originally shown at the same time as Shogun Warriors and Planet of the Apes, and they JUST came out. I hope these still make it out.

Comment

• cjefferys
                      Duke of Gloat
                      • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by tmthor
                      I was wondering that myself. I had heard one time the Mazinga licencing is a nightmare it was supposendly one of the reasons Jim Terry had to replace Great Mazinger on the Force Five show with the Spaceketeers (Starzinger) due to Rights issues. I am wondering if 3B still has the rights tied up because of their "Tranzor z" version of the character.
                      Mazinger Z and Great Mazinger are Go Nagai properties, aka Dynamic Productions (along with Dragun, Grendizer/Goldorak, Gaiking and a few others), and they are known as a bit expensive and difficult to work with (kind of like Toho) so that might be part of the issue (it's also the reason why Marvel's Shogun Warriors comics involved non-Nagai characters instead (Raydeen, Combattra and Danguard Ace). I was really looking forward to seeing this line but it doesn't look good right now.

Comment

• tmthor
                        God of Knock-offs
                        • Nov 29, 2005

Originally posted by cjefferys
                        Mazinger Z and Great Mazinger are Go Nagai properties, aka Dynamic Productions (along with Dragun, Grendizer/Goldorak, Gaiking and a few others), and they are known as a bit expensive and difficult to work with (kind of like Toho) so that might be part of the issue (it's also the reason why Marvel's Shogun Warriors comics involved non-Nagai characters instead (Raydeen, Combattra and Danguard Ace). I was really looking forward to seeing this line but it doesn't look good right now.
                        Except Force Five had Starvengers (aka Getter robo G) Grandizer and Gaiking all also Go Nagai just Great Mazinger was pulled and replaced

Comment

• ODBJBG
                          Permanent Member
                          • May 15, 2009

My concern is that at the last few shows, Super7 hasn't had prototypes, painted or unpainted or even signs talking about the line.

Now that doesn't mean it's not happening necessarily, but it does seem odd to show off prototypes at one event and then the next couple of events not at least continue to show those. Makes me think there is some sort of issue.

That said, I'm hopeful that since they at least got to the prototype stage, that it will be worked out. I just wish there was a good way to let Super7 know that people were interested in these.

Comment

• tmthor
                            God of Knock-offs
                            • Nov 29, 2005

here is a quick vid on them for those who had not seen them

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎