Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrZorma
    • Sep 1, 2016

Pay it forward

As I am sitting here in admiration of the new figures, I had a moment of satori where I realized I had an over abundance of luck finding megos in the wild, and how fortunate I was that my area just had them in stock. Not to say I didn't spend 3 days at 18 different Targets all over the SF east/southbay to find them. I know I am a fanatic, but know there are fellow aficionados that cannot have access to these at a reasonable/affordable price for a variety of reasons and I would hate to be in your situation.

I purposefully have not purchased more than one item of anything I found in the wild as I thought they should be available to other collectors, and maybe, just as important, to a newer, younger potential collector. A Dracula would likely be selected by a child over a Tootie character they have never heard of, and I hope that Mego is adopted and becomes beloved by future generations as is Marty and Paul's vision. The only one I did buy a second set of was the Mirror Mirror box set since I did not want any more to go on to evilbay; I intended to somehow donate to the museum community with this set as a thank you to Mego and it's LONG TIME supporters.

I am sorry for making this so long, and to the point, I would like to give this set away for free, the lucky recipient would only have to pay for shipping (however fast you want). This evens the playing field for our foreign friends and provides an opportunity they might not otherwise have. I was going to raffle the set off to those who responded, but then I received a snarky comment on another thread by a supposed mego fanatic that basically said I was stupid for driving all over town for the new figures. I was complaining to my wife and she gave the following idea to me.

If you are interested (and really can afford shipping, promise not to resell it) please tell me "what would you do for a Mirror Mirror set?" This response would be in the vein of the old Klondike bar commercials and in no way would be something I would expect you to actually do. For example, when my wife was asking me how far I would drive to pick up figures if I was guaranteed pickup, I told her I would drive anywhere in the continental US - TODAY. That is how excited I am about the relaunch - I love these things and I am so happy they are back and so very well done!

So please respond to this thread with your response. To help with impartiality, my wife will "judge" the answers and select the winner (I am too easily swayed). I will close the contest Thursday evening and announce the winner that night so everyone can find out who won on Friday after they read the newsletter. I am sorry that I have only the one to give, but hopefully this will be a fun thing for us to celebrate the re-launch of the World's Greatest Toys!

Bon Venture!

James

Bonus hint: My wife has "never approved" of my collection and doesn't get the whole hunt thing. She has a good sense of humor and is a sucker for animals.
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

That's really wonderful and what a community is supposed to be about, thank you for doing this.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Remco Monster
      GLOWS in the Dark!
      • May 3, 2006

I would kick a Tribble for a Mirror Mirror bar!

Comment

• Mary Canary
        Career Member
        • Jun 21, 2017

This is such a great thing you are doing. I was only able to get my new Megos because of a friend in another area. I'm not interested in the Trek set so I'm not playing along. But good luck to all who enter! Great to see the kindness of fellow collectors!

Comment

• Cornelius POTA
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 19, 2011

PM sent
          Cornelius POTA sigpic MEGO of the Planet Of The Apes :ape:
          :smiley13: Cornelius is home.
          I'm in a groove and on the move collecting Mego POTA figures. PM me anytime.

Comment

• Ivaniski
            Persistent Member
            • Jun 24, 2007

I would use the Star Trek Mirror, Mirror set to make episode specific dioramas. Utilize those figures to playout the scenes in Mirror, Mirror with my kids and others. That's why we go for the hunt, to show our kids and their friends the thrill of searching for 8" Action figures that originated from an iconic toy company in the 70's (Mego). I would also let my daughter (a School Teacher) take...as a treat to her kids (4th and 5th graders) on science fair day...the set to pair it up with the 1/9 scale Shuttle Craft that she helped create for the Star Trek figures. How great will this be to promote science in the school through our Trek Mego figures, as we as kids were influenced by the characters on the show (kids wanted to be doctors, scientists...etc), it'll be a great way to promote the product.
            Unfortunately, I feel slightly bad for Marty and Doc, The Re-birth of Mego was suppose to be an event that should've been approached with great "Fan Fare" and celebration by Target (should've been alot of Hoopla, even some Target employees wearing Mego T-shirts and signage at the store to promote the approx..45 year Re-launch of a Renowned Toy Company "Giant"...should've been epic). But, what we got this last sunday (my kids and our neighbors kids...was a "BIG NOTHING"). When I asked the the Target employees about Mego figures, they looked at me like I had three heads, this occured in 4 Targets that we've visited (Ironically, when an anticipated "Hot" video games is released there's so much hype before and on the release date). Oh Yea, the hunt is still strong...Maybe stronger then ever, because this time the hunt includes 2 generations of Mego lovers. I currently, cannot find the aforementioned Star Trek Mirror Mirror set on Target online or in-store. Sorry to go out on a tandem, just tired of scalpers trying to get the upper hand from the company we love...MEGO.

Shuttle Craft designed by my Daughter for Mego Star Trek......

Last edited by Ivaniski; Jul 31, '18, 9:05 PM.

Comment

• JamesB.
              • Dec 15, 2013

That is indeed a very kind and generous act. It's so nice to read something positive like this.

It's a beautiful set and whomever wins it will be very happy indeed.

-James

Comment

• DrZorma
                • Sep 1, 2016

Originally posted by palitoy
                That's really wonderful and what a community is supposed to be about, thank you for doing this.
                Thanks Palitoy, I apologize for not checking with you/admin before I posted this, as I do not intend to step on anyone's toes. I greatly appreciate everything you good folks do!

I wanted to thank those for already responding and I want to make sure this is intended only as a fun, light hearted contest, it is not intended to make fun of anyone's misfortune finding desired figures. It has been shared by Marty, confirmed by all the stores I went to that these will be on shelves in all stores soon. Be positive and polite with your local Target and you should have no problems. Patience Grasshopper (ideas Marty/Doc?)

I also applaud the answers so far, very inventive as I was hoping for, so please keep em coming! Also, kindly post your responses here so we keep everything open and everyone can see the answers, please no PMs. There have been great PMs, so good, they could win and I don't want anyone to think this is fixed by awarding someone that is not publicly known to have entered.

Thank you for playing!

James

Comment

• josephcardone
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jun 10, 2010

Your awesome. This is what makes this place great

Comment

• ZombieJimC
                    Persistent Member
                    • Mar 12, 2014

This is an Awesome thing you are doing. And the perfect place to do it. I know whoever wins this will truly appreciate and enjoy it. I wish I had the means to do something like this but I have been out of work for the past six months. I had to sell some comics to get the figures that I want. I will not be entering this contest either cause I was fortunate to snag this beautiful set today when the Target guy pulled it out of the back for me. Way to go James, kindness like this makes the world a better place!

Comment

• SKotK
                      Career Member
                      • Mar 11, 2014

Thumbs-up on paying it forward! It's a beautiful thing.

--SKot
                      Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• Moxen
                        Museum Patron
                        • Nov 6, 2016

Thanks for the generous offer! If I got it I would do stuff like this:

I'd also be willing to give myself a Vulcan Death-Grip.

Watch this!

*pinch*

Urk!

*thud*

Comment

• sprytel
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jun 26, 2009

(So cool that you are doing this!)

I would attend the Star Wars ep9 premiere in full Trek cosplay and taunt those dirty Ewok-huggers...

Comment

• Cornelius POTA
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 19, 2011

Dr. Zorma,

To answer your Mirror Mirror question...

I would drive all over the country to every possible ZOO I could find. First stop would be the Atlanta Zoo.

At every zoo, I would get a different animal. ( Monkey ) Second Zoo would be a giraffe. Any animal you wife wants.

You would need to give me your address to deliver all these precious animals to your house for your wife !!

I would count on my GPS to get me there !

Also would stop off at PetSmart and buy the entire dog section out of dogs that need a foster home, for sure. Don't forget the biscuits

Cockatiels , Parakeets ? Say no more, I even have a few myself. Drives my family nuts.

Would buy out the entire bird section and be on my way....The skies the limit for your wife.

And then, together while me both stand in the driveway , James and Stan would yell

Welcome to the neighborhood, Miss Doolittle !!

Cornelius POTA
                            Last edited by Cornelius POTA; Aug 1, '18, 9:15 PM.
                            Cornelius POTA sigpic MEGO of the Planet Of The Apes :ape:
                            :smiley13: Cornelius is home.
                            I'm in a groove and on the move collecting Mego POTA figures. PM me anytime.

Comment

• DrZorma
                              • Sep 1, 2016

I want to thank those of you that participated; I hope everyone had fun with the responses! I also appreciate all of the kind words - it speaks volumes of the comradery and goodwill that makes this forum special.

Before I announce the winner, I wanted to be sure to thank everyone here for their continued support of the World's Greatest Toys! A heartfelt thank you goes out to all of the fans, donors, customizers, writers, photographers, artists, event organizers, web support, museum administrators, and all of the other behind the scenes folks that I may have omitted. You provided a home for, and more importantly fostered a community for misfit toy collectors. Without your years of hard work and dedication I sincerely think that we would not be seeing the rebirth of Mego, a million thanks to each and every one of you!

Now without further ado, the winner is Moxen. Congratulations Moxen, if you would kindly PM me your shipping address I will ship post haste.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎