X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SWCWorld
    Museum Patron
    • Aug 10, 2011

Megos at Target Experience

First, I must say I am appalled at the comments on the Mego Ambassador's page on Facebook; large group bad mouthing Mego, the rollout, etc., etc.

Frankly, I am thrilled to get to purchase brand new Megos like I did back in the early-to-mid 1970s. I remember buying WGSH in the box at TG&Y with my allowance money at $1.97 a piece and carded Planet of the Apes section series at Toys by Roy, and now today at Target. Mego is awesome, and it is great to have them back! Thanks so much, Marty! I feel like I am seven years old again!

Regarding Target, I went to the Target in Dallas close to my work this past Monday (addressed elsewhere on the forum) and found two of each of the 14" figures (except for Batman, just one Batman) and a decent supply of the 8" figures, mostly the female figures and Sulu. Seemed as though it had been picked over. I went this morning to the local Targets in my hometown when they opened at 8:00. The first SuperTarget had no clue; and the lady, who was very nice, showed me her in-store hand-held scanner that showed all the Mego figures as "out of stock."

I went to the second Target and spoke with a very nice lady, and paraphrasing our conversation, she said, "I've been working in toys at various stores for 30 years and here at Target for some time. Just because the scanner states the figures as "out of stock" means nothing; it only means that the toy is probably in the back and just has not been put into the system to link with the main database." At the time, she was pushing a cart with some toys on it to stock on the shelves; she had two Sulus and two of the Star Trek "Mirror Mirror" two pack. She went into the back and found a sealed box, and evidently each box has six figures and two of each figure (3 different). The figures were Dracula, Sulu, and Action Jackson. She also stated that Target (at least in my hometown) was the process of re-configuring the stores for "pre-Christmas" and that the Mego displays would actually be up either tonight or in the morning. It was nice to visit with a really nice person and employee who understood the situation and was able to communicate an example of "behind the scenes."

Judging from her response, look for Target stores to have the figures in stock tonight or tomorrow morning. It seems that most of the "complainers" are people that wanted to find figures prior to the release date; patience is a good thing.
  • Mego Magyar
    Permanent Member
    • Jan 17, 2011

Originally posted by SWCWorld
    First, I must say I am appalled at the comments on the Mego Ambassador's page on Facebook; large group bad mouthing Mego, the rollout, etc., etc.

Frankly, I am thrilled to get to purchase brand new Megos like I did back in the early-to-mid 1970s.
    But that's the point,we all want the thrill of buying new Megos but with nothing on the shelf or online the thrill is gone.
    Judging from her response, look for Target stores to have the figures in stock tonight or tomorrow morning. It seems that most of the "complainers" are people that wanted to find figures prior to the release date; patience is a good thing.
    The 29th was said to be the release date and lot of stores across the country were putting them out over this past week so why wouldn't someone expect things to at least show up by the "release" date. Add to that you can't even buy most of the figures online that is why a lot of people are rightly disappointed today.

Over a month of hype only to be left with nothing is going to get a negative reaction.

Comment

• theSamurai
      Banned
      • Mar 27, 2017

I've posted a break-down on case/boxes found in stores here:

None of the figures have shown up online as of 12:03 A.M. I'll keep refreshing for just a bit longer, and then I'll have to hit the sack (gotta get up early for work.) I wish Target/Mego had made things a little easier. Saying they will release on the 29th, and a bunch of stores release early. 29th hits, and nothing on target

Best

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

I found the staff very helpful at my Targets, too, but I have to agree with Magyar. And speaking personally, I'm not complaining but I am concerned. I had no wish to find product early, but expecting an exclusive to be stocked on an announced release day is not unreasonable. A lot of excitement was building for this.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

^^ That is what I expected, the figures to be at a store on the publicized release date. I don't have the time and the resources to constantly drive from Target to Target looking for dollies. I am done with it, unless they magically show up on line I will be skipping this.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• LonnieFisher
            Eloquent Member
            • Jan 19, 2008

Sorry that you're going to miss out on them. Some stores aren't putting them out until Tuesday.

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

Well, I work on Tuesday. Target is not a convenient stop for me, its a special trip to another city. No big deal, lots of money saved by the lack of distribution.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• powersthatbe
                Persistent Member
                • Sep 27, 2010

I happen to be off Tuesday so I’ll give it another shot.ill actually be able to check two targets that day.Doc did mention August 1st a couple times.

Comment

• Teemu
                  Persistent Member
                  • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                  ^^ That is what I expected, the figures to be at a store on the publicized release date. I don't have the time and the resources to constantly drive from Target to Target looking for dollies. I am done with it, unless they magically show up on line I will be skipping this.
                  Pretty much how I feel. While it's great Mego is back,today was mostly disappointment for people. Look at all the posts from here and on facebook. Hardly anybody got these considering so many went out looking on this supposed July 29th release date. Considering this is a very limited run, this is a scalper's dream buying up many of the figures for resale (as I said before would happen) and many people are just going to walk away and not even bother. If this is how it's going to be collecting any these for now on, I won't be interested at all and I will continue to buy from companies that actually want my money and not make it so hard to obtain toys. (Like FTC, big heads and all )

Comment

• cockyhoskins
                    Career Member
                    • Jan 13, 2009

Ugh... thank the maker that the internet didn't exist back in the late '70s when we were all clamoring toward our local TRU (Detroit for me) to get the new figures (Star Wars, Mego, etc.)! "They didn't have Chewbacca", yada, yada... Give it some time, kids! They'll be there soon.

Comment

• Brue
                      User without title
                      • Sep 29, 2005

Thanks for posting this.

Frankly, I am thrilled to get to purchase brand new Megos like I did back in the early-to-mid 1970s. I remember buying WGSH in the box at TG&Y with my allowance money at $1.97 a piece and carded Planet of the Apes section series at Toys by Roy, and now today at Target. Mego is awesome, and it is great to have them back! Thanks so much, Marty! I feel like I am seven years old again!

Regarding Target, I went to the Target in Dallas close to my work this past Monday (addressed elsewhere on the forum) and found two of each of the 14" figures (except for Batman, just one Batman) and a decent supply of the 8" figures, mostly the female figures and Sulu. Seemed as though it had been picked over. I went this morning to the local Targets in my hometown when they opened at 8:00. The first SuperTarget had no clue; and the lady, who was very nice, showed me her in-store hand-held scanner that showed all the Mego figures as "out of stock."

I went to the second Target and spoke with a very nice lady, and paraphrasing our conversation, she said, "I've been working in toys at various stores for 30 years and here at Target for some time. Just because the scanner states the figures as "out of stock" means nothing; it only means that the toy is probably in the back and just has not been put into the system to link with the main database." At the time, she was pushing a cart with some toys on it to stock on the shelves; she had two Sulus and two of the Star Trek "Mirror Mirror" two pack. She went into the back and found a sealed box, and evidently each box has six figures and two of each figure (3 different). The figures were Dracula, Sulu, and Action Jackson. She also stated that Target (at least in my hometown) was the process of re-configuring the stores for "pre-Christmas" and that the Mego displays would actually be up either tonight or in the morning. It was nice to visit with a really nice person and employee who understood the situation and was able to communicate an example of "behind the scenes."

Comment

• noelani72
                        27inaleon
                        • Jun 25, 2002

we had an overall positive experience with Target. Now, granted...when The Boy asks in the morning and is told no Mego's are coming...I ask the same day and get told yes they are in the back room....not all staff is created equal obviously.

The young man who helped us today made it awesome. He had just as much fun helping us, opening boxes, laughing up with a coworker who came by...it was a personal experience.

Comment

• gartsogrod1
                          • Apr 13, 2013

I have seen some overly mean and negative stuff on the ambassador page but I also don't necessarily identify with people who are trying to shame people who have the 'nerve' to voice disappointment either....

I am really happy Mego is back overall and I admit , I made my unsuccessful run to Target ...but I understand those who are upset to not be finding ANYTHING on the selves today (it was presented as a bonafide launch day) and I completely understand anyone being unimpressed/uninspired with the assortment/characters available.

I mean, if somehow I WAS interested in Facts of Life... why would I just buy Tootie with no assurance the rest are coming?
                          I think they would have been better served with less lines with more characters available in each license line on single cards, but that is me.

In his video post today Marty Abrams assured everyone that they will be getting to stores and that there are two more waves already planned so I will hold out hope that wave 2 and 3
                          gives something to be more excited about.....

As of right now, the best thing Mego has going for it to me is price point (I would own a ton more FTC stuff if they were not 30 bucks a pop) but price point doesn't matter if the available product is not necessarily desirable.
                          I mean, I am a big old time Mego guy but even I have limited interest (I personally plan on buying a grand total one figure if I can even find it) in the offerings at hand.

Anyway- hopefully the journey is just starting and there are bigger and better things to come
                          Last edited by gartsogrod1; Jul 29, '18, 10:19 PM.

Comment

• MEMEGO
                            Career Member
                            • Sep 6, 2007

Bronx reporting, no megos at 2 stores Went to

Comment

• SWCWorld
                              Museum Patron
                              • Aug 10, 2011

To follow-up my conversation with the nice store employee at the second store visited this morning, she stated that unless a box has a display date printed on it, then the floor manager can put out the merchandise whenever she/he wishes; i.e. that is why some of the Targets were putting out Mego merchandise prior to today's "official" release date. I expect from what I was told today, and also from Marty's excellent Facebook post regarding merchandise (posted today) that most if not all Targets will have the Megos by tomorrow or at the very latest, by end of this week.

While I understand the disappointment that some may feel, I don't really understand some of the comments such as not supporting Mego or buying product now that a release date was missed at your local Target.

I purchased a Fonzie, Dracula, Sula, Chekov, and Action Jackson today. Have already opened Fonzie, Chekov, and Action Jackson, and I must say that the quality of the new Megos seems to be really good; the figures feel "heftier" or slightly heavier than the older figures and especially the Figures Toy Company figures; the new Megos feel and look sturdier, too, and the designs are excellent. Mego is definitely back! Am already looking forward to the 2nd wave (wonder if we'll see some Planet of the Apes?)....

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎