X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

At my age with no kids...OPEN...

...by the time they become truly collectible, I’ll be long dead...

sigpic

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
      Persistent Member
      • Jun 22, 2011

I could care less about what they will be worth in the future. I keep them in the package anyway because I enjoy seeing them mint in their package. That goes for vintage and modern figures I collect. I will buy one to open too of my very favorites. I say collect how you enjoy it most no matter what others think.

Comment

• dr_cyclops
        One eyed, wonder
        • Dec 17, 2009

I would buy extras to taste. For me, I want 3 Dracula. Two for opening, one for customizing, one for dis(playing) and one to keep in package so years down the line, I can open him and make another custom if I want to. I bailed on buying retail for future $ value. I collect for the value it gives me today.

Comment

• cdhall
          Persistent Member
          • Aug 14, 2004

You all make good points.
          I wanted to open them so I expect I will.
          I’m not a collector.
          I had a purpose years ago for these but that’s gone. My kids have zero interest. I may Display them when I get another house. My next house will be totally a functional museum. I have no desire to sit on these and sell them as collectibles, that absolutely did not work with my 30 year old Avengers, Iron Man, X-Men and Spiderman comics.
          But I may need to sell the Mirror Diorama next week as I’ve missed too much work from the car accident. I’m behind right now on my recovery plans, I should have closed out this month strong.
          So I’ll get to them later.

I’m with Lasermego, I expect I may store Sulu and Chekov with my others but not in the package. I’ll compare them to the others. These are a lot heavier than even the Emces as I recall. I have MANY Emces MIP by the way now that I think about it. That certainly didn’t turn out. I do have 2 Khans I bought to flip one of them but I don’t think they ever increased. I expect all the Emces to fall in price. Mego should reproduce them all.

I hope we get some red shirts. I missed the Entertainment Earth red shirt with 2 hair colors. That seems like a no brainer. Was that Emce?

And it seems to me that Action Jackson with Pointy Sideburns in 3 hair colors would be a slam dunk. Trek and AJ fans could not resist.

Thanks guys, I better get back to work.

I bet Target is online now by the way! I think it’s 12:17am in their time zone!!
          —-
          “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Message, Spock?”
          - Admiral Kirk

"...surely, the best of times."
          - Captain Spock
          https://youtu.be/tOtKcJtahKQ

Comment

• darkbros
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 3, 2012

I open mine, and offer the cards ? boxes for sale here on the museum. I don't do carded figures.
            Their toys for goodness sake, action figures second. I get more fun out of stuff being posed and
            displayed than hanging them on the wall were they collect dust.
            Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
            https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------
            "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• HardyGirl
              Mego Museum's Poster Girl
              • Apr 3, 2007

Yeah, open them and have a good time!
              "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
              'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
              Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
              If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• cdhall
                Persistent Member
                • Aug 14, 2004

Originally posted by darkbros
                I open mine, and offer the cards ? boxes for sale here on the museum. I don't do carded figures.
                Their toys for goodness sake, action figures second. I get more fun out of stuff being posed and
                displayed than hanging them on the wall were they collect dust.
                I think I posted years ago something similar. I was complaining about the Marvel figures not holding a pose and took some heat for that but none of them were good to me if they weren’t able to be played with or posed for display or photos.

I just got most of mine out of storage an hour ago and I see I have s Sinestro. I need to get some Type S bodies to swap him onto. I hope Docs new Mego bodies will be as good as Tyoe S are supposed to be. I understand Type S has over 20 points of articulation. And you can unscrew the body to replace the head. People have raved to me about them.
                —-
                - Admiral Kirk

- Captain Spock

Comment

• MIB41
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Sep 25, 2005

I have a climate control storage space that routinely whispers, " OPEN YOUR TOYS". (; It's cheaper that way. Enjoy what you have. You've earned the right to hold those figures.

Comment

• cdhall
                    Persistent Member
                    • Aug 14, 2004

Originally posted by MIB41
                    I have a climate control storage space that routinely whispers, " OPEN YOUR TOYS". (; It's cheaper that way. Enjoy what you have. You've earned the right to hold those figures.
                    Sammy!! I remember you! Thanks. Just brought mine out of storage today along with a few things I’m going to try to sell again since the rent is coming up...
                    —-
                    - Admiral Kirk

- Captain Spock

Comment

• SWCWorld
                      Museum Patron
                      • Aug 10, 2011

Definitely open them. I have already opened the Chekov, Fonzie, and Action Jackson figures. Since I like to save the cards, I take a utility knife and carefully remove the bubble from the card backer by cutting as close as possible to the card. Yes, I know that this "removes" the limited number seal sticker printed on the bubble, but so what? The fun is in enjoying the figure. I feel the same about comics; never understood why people collect graded comics; you can't even read them. Kind of defeats the purpose of the medium... Enjoy what you have.

Comment

• cdhall
                        Persistent Member
                        • Aug 14, 2004

Since I don't collect the cards or anything.
                        I'm wondering if I should cut the plastic bubble in a way to preserve the label, open it like a coffin, remove the figure and give the card and bubble to someone.

Would anyone want that?

The Card takes little space so when I store the figure I could store the card, it lays flat if you take of the bubble. I sort of don't even want to go there... it's a toy. It seems like it would be like getting discovered on Gilligan's Island and just having supplies dropped off so that you can live better and people know you are there but it is very much not why you wanted people to find you....
                        —-
                        - Admiral Kirk

- Captain Spock

Comment

• SKotK
                          Career Member
                          • Mar 11, 2014

Originally posted by cdhall
                          I’m with Lasermego, I expect I may store Sulu and Chekov with my others but not in the package. I’ll compare them to the others. These are a lot heavier than even the Emces as I recall. I have MANY Emces MIP by the way now that I think about it. That certainly didn’t turn out. I do have 2 Khans I bought to flip one of them but I don’t think they ever increased. I expect all the Emces to fall in price. Mego should reproduce them all.
                          It's quite possible Mego could reproduce them all, since Paul has been involved in both cases. I would expect any that don't get reproduced to gain in price as long as they remain EMCE-only.

I hope we get some red shirts. I missed the Entertainment Earth red shirt with 2 hair colors. That seems like a no brainer. Was that Emce?
                          That was EMCE, but those never made it out. EMCE had plans for a whole wave of new and mostly reissue figures to come out for the 50th anniversary of Star Trek, but it all got cancelled. The only thing that actually came out that year was the Enterprise playset with a new 50th Anniversary logo on the box.

--SKot
                          Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
                            Career Member
                            • Nov 22, 2011

Life is short.
                            OPEN!
                            "May fortune favor the foolish"

Comment

• scott metzger
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jul 9, 2007

In some cases, you have no choice. I would have room to display about 1/10 of my stuff, if that, if everything were carded/boxed, so space is a consideration. Besides, action figures are made to be...in action. Played with, posed in battle with evil; you don't really get all you can out of them in a plastic prison.

Comment

• ZombieJimC
                                Persistent Member
                                • Mar 12, 2014

Open them!! I score a Mirror Mirror set today and I will be cracking that baby open for sure.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎