X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by palitoy
    I have some bad news for you, you may want to sit.
    You know full well what I meant.

The CHARACTER acted completely OUT of character.
    Last edited by enyawd72; Jul 30, '18, 12:35 PM.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by enyawd72
      You know full well what I meant.

The CHARACTER acted completely OUT of character.
      I knew full well what you meant but I have a weakness for low hanging fruit, forgive me.

Characters are subjective as we internalize them, you feel he acted out of character, others are more at ease with the depiction. You're both right.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
        Often invisible
        • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by enyawd72
        I completely disagree with this. News of Han Solo's death at the hands of Kylo Ren should have been enough to spur the REAL Luke Skywalker to action. Rian Johnson is 100% to blame for making Luke a bitter old jerk who tried to murder his own nephew in his sleep. That is unforgivable.
        It sounds like this REAL Luke Skywalker you're talking about would have never gone into exile in the first place. He would have never let his friends fend for themselves.

That's on JJ.
        Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
          HULK SMASH!
          • Apr 3, 2010

Rian Johnson said he wanted to subvert fans' expectations with TLJ. Well... he sure succeeded in that.

I simply do not agree with Johnson's interpretation of Luke's character and his motivations.
          I personally believed that Luke traveled to the seclusion of Ahch-To because he needed time to reflect on the loss of his new Jedi academy and his nephew's fall to the dark side.
          In that ancient island environment where the Jedi Order allegedly originated, Luke was gathering his thoughts, focusing his energies and deciding how best to deal with his fallen apprentice and the threat of Snoke and The First Order.
          He did NOT go there to cut himself off from the Force and to die in solitude.
          PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
            Often invisible
            • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
            Rian Johnson said he wanted to subvert fans' expectations with TLJ. Well... he sure succeeded in that.

I simply do not agree with Johnson's interpretation of Luke's character and his motivations.
            I personally believed that Luke traveled to the seclusion of Ahch-To because he needed time to reflect on the loss of his new Jedi academy and his nephew's fall to the dark side.
            In that ancient island environment where the Jedi Order allegedly originated, Luke was gathering his thoughts, focusing his energies and deciding how best to deal with his fallen apprentice and the threat of Snoke and The First Order.
            He did NOT go there to cut himself off from the Force and to die in solitude.
            I blame all of this on JJ again. Here's JJ's mystery box! Who's that guy? What's his deal? Where'd that thing come from? Because of this, fans wrote the next movie in their minds and then didn't get what they expected. That's why the fan score vs. critic score on Rotten Tomatoes varies so much.

If JJ was smart, he would have made a movie that stood on it's own, but he didn't. Disney didn't plot out the 3 movies beforehand evidently. It was their idea not to make movies by committee and instead let them be director driven. THAT would have been the best way to handle Disneys new multi-billion dollar franchise.

Having said that, I like that Johnson didn't paint by the numbers.

Comment

• The Bat
              Batman Fanatic
              • Jul 14, 2002

Well, regardless of who fault it was...one thing I feel strongly about, is that Luke Skywalker was TOTALLY out of character. And I know one person that would agree with me and his name is Mark Hamill. He had the same reaction as "us" when he read TLJ script and told Rian Johnson as much. Hamill is still NOT happy and is still talking about.

Star Wars is dead to me now...bring on STAR TREK 4!!
              sigpic

Comment

• sprytel
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 26, 2009

After writing and deleting a response to this thread about 4 times... I think I finally realized that, in fact, I don't need to make you change your mind. LOL

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                  HULK SMASH!
                  • Apr 3, 2010

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
                  Having said that, I like that Johnson didn't paint by the numbers.

Well, there's a lot of middle ground between painting by the numbers and just dumping the paint all over the place.

In truth though, there are a lot of elements of TLJ that I did actually like.

But my main bone of contention with the movie is and always will be Johnson's interpretation of Luke's character.
                  PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• spockoda
                    Museum Super Collector
                    • Jan 14, 2018

I don't like JJ Abrams that much and thought TFA was only "okay" but I'll have to admit he did set up what could have been an awesome movie, at least in my mind, of Rey handing Luke his Father's lightsaber he had lost ironically in a battle with his Father, as a call back to action to fight the "bad guys". However, what we got destroyed all that promise and took care of my interest in any further SW movies. Honestly, I don't even care now if Luke and Leia are in the next one. Disney's SW movies have been crapola so far, and I saw the first movie way back in '77 when I was six years old and supported all the movies and even the '78 Holiday Special, up until this point. But no more.

Comment

• cjefferys
                      Duke of Gloat
                      • Apr 23, 2006

And we're getting Billy Dee this time too, correct?

Comment

• Hedji
                        Citizen of Gotham
                        • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by sprytel
                        After writing and deleting a response to this thread about 4 times... I think I finally realized that, in fact, I don't need to make you change your mind. LOL
                        This.

I am so exhausted with defending or arguing about Star Wars online. The internet is the worst thing to happen to our beloved space opera. Discourse is fine, but Star Wars is so personal for everyone, it stopped being fun to argue about long ago. It's becoming like politics and religion. I can't help but read these threads, but no one is gonna change my mind, and vice versa.

I enjoy watching Star Wars more than discussing it on the interwebs.

Comment

• Hedji
                          Citizen of Gotham
                          • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by cjefferys
                          And we're getting Billy Dee this time too, correct?
                          Yes sir! Works every time!

Comment

• spockoda
                            Museum Super Collector
                            • Jan 14, 2018

Originally posted by Hedji
                            This.

I am so exhausted with defending or arguing about Star Wars online. The internet is the worst thing to happen to our beloved space opera. Discourse is fine, but Star Wars is so personal for everyone, it stopped being fun to argue about long ago. It's becoming like politics and religion. I can't help but read these threads, but no one is gonna change my mind, and vice versa.

I enjoy watching Star Wars more than discussing it on the interwebs.
                            I understand your thinking but I'm not climbing down anyone's throat but there definitely are people that will. If someone enjoys Star Wars, even the Disney movies, I say knock yourself out. And I'm not being sarcastic, just because I don't enjoy the Disney movies doesn't mean others can't.

Comment

• YoungOnce
                              Career Member
                              • Aug 29, 2007

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                              I understand why some folks dislike TLJ, but honestly, where was Johnson supposed to go with Luke's character? JJ painted him in a corner. Luke HAD to be a disgruntled deserter based on what we were told in TFA. If Rey had shown up and he was suddenly "Oh, I'm needed? I had no idea. Let's go!" then it would have seriously undermined the storyline. Johnson took it to the logical conclusion, as possibly unsatisfying as that might be to some.

Chris
                              I guess I'm on the other end on this. No worries though!

I see all of the plot seeds planted in TFA as a gold mine to be plundered in the following movies. I think JJ did a great job of mining those feelings of nostalgia while setting up some new characters that I really did enjoy and was looking forward to watching in future installments.

Regarding Luke in particular, I don't see where Rian was boxed in at all. No one knew anything about Luke or what he was doing (or preparing for) in his seclusion. Everything we knew about Luke from TFA was that he went in search of the Jedi Temple. If he just wanted to die, and seperate himself from The Force, why would he go there? Why not go to Dagobah or virtually anywhere else? The whole of TFA is about bringing Luke back and Snoke says that it mustn't happen because Luke coming back will bring back the Jedi. JJ's ending was for Luke to be levitating boulders when Rey finds him in the end until Rian asked him to cut that scene. So it doesn't seem like it was JJ's idea to make Luke the kind of broken, given-up character he was in TLJ.

Now, all that said, Rian was completely free to go whatever direction he wanted with that. He made bold choices that some think are brilliant and some think are ludicrously lame. Movie-making is an art. Art is subjective. it is what it is and I totally see the point of view from the other side.

I don't mind discussing the points of any movie... and don't really get worked up in a lather. It's just a movie.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                                Often invisible
                                • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by YoungOnce
                                I don't mind discussing the points of any movie... and don't really get worked up in a lather. It's just a movie.
                                I'm with you 100%. I actually like reading reviews that are the opposite of how I feel about a movie because maybe they are seeing something I'm not, and it's fun to consider even though it probably won't change my mind. I like the challenge, what can I say?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎