Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • markp67
    • Jun 22, 2010

Originally posted by MIB41
    I picked up the 14 inch Batman today and the first thing that struck was how AMAZING that head sculpt was. I mean it was cranking greatness.

But attached to the 14 inch body it felt shrunken...or was it? I have allot of 1/6 scale bodies, all of which could house this head design. So I plopped that off and worked on some alternatives. Problem is the head actually scaled up a tad too big. Even when I pulled in an old 12 inch Mego body, it didn't feel right on that. So how was it that it should belong on the 14 inch body? So I put it all back together and looked at it... and looked at it... and looked at it. I thought, " There's something throwing this off, but it may not be the head as much as it appears.

As I looked at the neck and shoulder region, it occurred to me that compared to the rest of the body, this area actually looked the most deficient which created that disconnect as you got to the head. So I thought if I bulked up the neck-to-shoulder area UNDER the cape this might alleviate the scale issues that dogged this figure. The results were fairly dramatic...

So what did I do? Impossibly simple. I took one cotton ball and ripped it in half and proceeded to tuck one half under the cape hugging his shoulders on either side and adjusted them until they hit the mark I was looking for. It bulked up his shoulders to match the body and alleviated allot of the neck to head optics that impacted his appearance.

Now I'm sure there is a more efficient way to accomplish this. My buddy Chris (Emeraldknight) thought maybe black fun foam could be a better substitute. But my thinking is as long as you have some kind of soft padding affixed to the underside of the cape, you've got a pretty cool looking figure that really flushes out that head sculpt. Those were my thoughts as a work around with minimal impact to the stock product.
    Looks great!

Comment

• megojim
      Permanent Member
      • Oct 13, 2001

Well played sir!!! huge difference!!
      My Custom Figures

1 Corinthians 9:24 - Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win!

Comment

• rodkeith
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 16, 2008

Those 14 inch figures have suddenly gone for me from "Sorry, no" to "they look pretty good!" thanks to that fix. Great work!! Hopefully Mego will take notice of this and correct for wave 2.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

^And I have to add, the 14" body in tights looks good to me. Now, I'll have some figures in scale with Pulsar.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Capt Kirk
            Museum Patron
            • Jan 15, 2005

Yep, that'll do it- now I gotta go get Bats and Mister Stamp! The head/neck thing was the only reason I didn't!
            AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

Comment

• K
              Fun Will Now Commence
              • Jun 20, 2001

Def gonna do this when Batman arrives. Thanks!
              I LOVE CHEESECAKE!!!sigpic

"...and the Geeks shall inherit the earth."

Comment

• K
                Fun Will Now Commence
                • Jun 20, 2001

Just got my Batman and did your trick. Much better, but yours is awesome.Did you put cotton ball pieces in the jumpsuit or just under the cape? I stuffed the gray shoulder area but maybe I need more bulk.
                I LOVE CHEESECAKE!!!sigpic

"...and the Geeks shall inherit the earth."

Comment

• phil
                  Persistent Member
                  • May 11, 2007

They look much better!

Comment

• 8 Skeins of Danger
                    • Oct 17, 2018

Thank you so much for this fix! Just opened Batman from wave one. Worked great. I ended up using some stuffing from a dog toy. What a difference! (mine took a bit of tucking and looked a little lumpy at first ... but after about 5 mins ..good to go)

Comment

• 8 Skeins of Danger
                      • Oct 17, 2018

Originally posted by K
                      Just got my Batman and did your trick. Much better, but yours is awesome.Did you put cotton ball pieces in the jumpsuit or just under the cape? I stuffed the gray shoulder area but maybe I need more bulk.
                      FYI: Just under the cape.... takes a little bit of poking and prodding... but it’s a great quick way to improve this figure!

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎