X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brown Bear
    Still Old School
    • Feb 14, 2008

Batman Adventures #12 - keep or sell?

So maybe I'm living under a rock but had no idea I was sitting on Harley Quinn's first appearance. I had ALL the Batman Adventures and never read them, so basically they were bought at the store, put in a bag/board and filed away ever since.

I'm no expert to me looks pristine and was floored when a friend told me what he sold his for. My question to you my friends is this....should I save it or sell it? Maybe I should have it graded? Is it worth it?

Thanks
    BB
    Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

I'm in the same boat. I had no idea either, until I was at a con a few years ago, and TBA #12 was up on a huge rack with lots of pricey Golden and Silver Age books. I have the entire first run of the series, and it never occurred to me that THIS was Harley's first appearance.

I've been debating on whether I should sell it or not as well. Will it only rise in value, like Wolverine's first appearance, or will the Harley bubble eventually pop and she'll be a "once hot" character like Lobo?

I'm kind of thinking she's more of a Wolverine, but who knows?

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• ZombieJimC
      Persistent Member
      • Mar 12, 2014

Interesting you guys should be talking about Harley. Not even 20 minutes ago I was going through some books to sell at the local comic store and came across Harley Quinn 1. I was going to throw it in the box of mostly commons. I looked it up in last years Overstreet and was very surprised it was listed at $65. I thought maybe it was $5 -$10. I will probably sell it to the guy separately.

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

I buy CGC books, but mostly bronze age horror stuff with covers I like and that are pretty rare in good condition.

IMO, these BA #12 prices are nuts. They're not even rare. There are FIFTY CGC 9.6 copies on Ebay right now. The bubble will eventually burst I think.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

^I was thinking TBA was an under ordered book with a lower print run than your standard "DCU" Batman title of the time. But maybe not!

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Marvelmania
            A Ray of Sunshine
            • Jun 17, 2001

Personally I'd get it graded then sell it at the right time, maybe when her movie hits or sometime like that.

Comment

• ScottA
              Original Member
              • Jun 25, 2001

Sell it to me. I regret I sold mine.
              sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• johnnystorm
                Hot Child in the City
                • Jul 3, 2008

Hang on to it. Just going to keep going up. Harley is now a major player across the DCU and will continue to be ongoing.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                  Permanent Member
                  • Sep 15, 2014

My friend had a similar story. He had New Mutants #98 (1st Deadpool)
                  He got it graded and sold it on eBay for much more than I would have guessed.

If it's a hot book right now strike while the iron is hot.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                    Banned
                    • Jun 23, 2001

I would get it graded and sell it...and I love the Parobeck Batman Adventures comics. I sold mine last year for about $300...but it was a raw ungraded copy. If I had to guess it would have graded at about a 8.5 out of 10. Here's the thing about selling anything CGC or a hot book...Most books are hot when it comes to Movies/TV stuff for about 2 months. 2 weeks on either side of the premier of the movie or TV series. Sold a Preacher #1 graded at a 9.4 about 1 week or 2 after it premiered for $375. CGC is for speculators for the most part and they are in it for the short term. Soon as the popularity of that comic is over...you can get hot books, for the most part, at a third of the price they go for when they are hot. It's why I will NEVER have a graded book in my collection. Also, if I am on the fence about selling a book I ask myself the question "Is this comic available in a hardcover or trade for me to read?" I prefer hardcover books...but if the trade is the only way to get the book then I would buy a trade. It's about reading the comic book in my opinion. If you can't open the book...then you can't read it...and defeats the whole purpose if having been a comic book collector for the last 40 years.

That being said...if you ever want to trade for Megos...bring it to Mego Meet next year and we can talk

Comment

• glimpy
                      Loco Chango
                      • Feb 5, 2012

it depends how much you need the money. If you got the money then keep the comic
                      sigpic

Comment

• greensavage2000
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 9, 2013

Remember, comics will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no comics. Or something like that.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                          Permanent Member
                          • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by greensavage2000
                          Remember, comics will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no comics. Or something like that.
                          Interest in comics for me, comes and goes. When I'm on a kick I will buy new ones and read everyday. But when I'm not I'm selling stuff off and it takes me a week to finish reading one issue.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎