X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

I Love Action Figures in Karate Outfits

(Many thanks to my friend Eddie for this awesome image above)

The Martial Arts explosion of the early 1970s was not lost on action figures, growing up in this time, it gave me a lifelong obsession with the culture.

It also turned out to be a real positive influence in my life, so I've decided to start collecting all the various 70s action figures I can find in Karate Gis and compiled a list of ones that i have and would like to have after the jump:

I recently just bought this Adventure Team Karate outfit and it made me realize that i've always been buying this stuff in one form or another. GI Joe was always the trendsetter, I love the art on this package.
    The Hong Kong based BARTER produced a series of action figures that went through different names around the world, in the US it was called Mr. Action, in Italy it was "Don-Bill-Jac" and as you can see Bill has deadly hands.

Of course, Big Jim always had a Karate GI in his arsenal, for almost his entire run too. He even got a Kung Fu Studio (we call it a Dojo) to practice his deadly board breaking skills.

Mego's Action Jackson is an old friend of mine and of course, he's got every belt. The sticker on this box was done in Canada due to overstock of outfits, they tried to sell it as outfits for the Superheroes, Monsters and Apes bless them.

Mego also made a series of lower cost outfits for AJ that included tennis, golf and you guessed it, more Karate.

The Adventurer was a lower cost rip off AJ that copied a lot of the same themes, Some of the time his outfits appear to be Mego overstock.

Action Jose the Kung Fu Man had many "dresses" (their words, not mine) and thanks to my buddy Kevin, here are a couple.

I want to point out that I have never seen the actual Action Jose doll, if you have one please, please, please send me a photo.

More Martial Arts dolls soon, I promise!

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Fun revue. Amongst my favorite vintage toys are the Big Jim Karate Studio (so colorful and packed with features) and Kung Fu Gear Big Jig Jim (with Muscle Mover!).
    He has that sharp yellow gi with the black dragon. The Joe set is great, too.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• KOMonger
      Banned
      • Feb 17, 2015

You mentioned "More Martial Arts dolls soon". Does this mean you'll cover those outfits that aren't called "Karate"? Because this list could get really long. You already mentioned Big Jim, but he has other martial arts outfits. One has that cool dragon on it (there appears to be variations of this one: standard style shirt and pullover style). And then there's one for the double-trouble series.

There's also those 8" ninja figures using Barter bodies, as well as those United American Karate figures. Tons more, just waiting for more!

Comment

• Blue Meanie
        Banned
        • Jun 23, 2001

"Don-Bill-Jac" are 8 inch scale? I've never seen them before.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
          Museum Paramedic
          • Aug 31, 2005

Me too! Figures in martial arts outfits or martial art related figures always “spoke” to me. Then again, I had a thing for ninjas, Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris and Kung-Fu theater.

- Ian
          Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Makernaut
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 22, 2015

So much fun and goodness!

Now I have this stuck in my head! Gonna be a good day, today!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

Wow, fun stuff. I bet those karate outfits sold better than a lot of the other sets, given the popularity of the time.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
                "Don-Bill-Jac" are 8 inch scale? I've never seen them before.
                They are 12"ers but you'll notice they blew up SWAT heads for two of these guys.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• glimpy
                  Loco Chango
                  • Feb 5, 2012

we probably liked it because of the show kung fu
                  sigpic

Comment

• cjefferys
                    Duke of Gloat
                    • Apr 23, 2006

Very cool toys! Here's a contribution from my collection, I believe that the Gilbert Odd Job figure might be the first martial arts themed action figure.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• KOMonger
                      Banned
                      • Feb 17, 2015

I knew the Oddjob figure was shorter than Bond, but he really looks short here!

Nice collection of "B" figures!

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

forgot about Odd Job, he's probably the first that I can think of. Not sure Joe had a Gi in the 60s.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

Joe did not have a Karate set until the Adventure team. Action Man had a Judo set instead.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎