• Show
Clear All
  • Legend of Link
    Career Member
    • Jun 12, 2010

Help finding specific material

Hello all,

Hopefully this is an easy question but:

Can someone tell me what the grey/white fabric on this Batman is? I can’t find anything like it and I’d like to acquire some.

Thanks for anything!
    -Sean

http://s1172.photobucket.com/albums/r561/Sgordy199/ <- My Mego Pictures
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

The fabric you're looking for is matte milliskin, a variety of spandex. Spandex House carries a color "silver" which is actually non-metallic and matches the Matty figure. They have it listed at $9.00 a yard. Hope this is useful.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• KOMonger
      Banned
      • Feb 17, 2015

Cool! I found this useful.

Comment

• Boywonder0
        Persistent Member
        • Dec 29, 2007

Scott is da' man for fabrics and GI Joe consulting... Thank you Scott!!!

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Aww shucks. I guess I've learned a lot here and just try to pay it forward.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Legend of Link
            Career Member
            • Jun 12, 2010

Originally posted by PNGwynne
            The fabric you're looking for is matte milliskin, a variety of spandex. Spandex House carries a color "silver" which is actually non-metallic and matches the Matty figure. They have it listed at $9.00 a yard. Hope this is useful.
            Thank you very much! I got some on order and hopefully it’s what I need!!!

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

You're welcome!

Comment

• KOMonger
                Banned
                • Feb 17, 2015

Aww shucks. I guess I've learned a lot here and just try to pay it forward.
                Are there any popular places Mego customizers go for basic cotton cloth material, you know, for non-superhero clothing, like civvies?
                I mean there are tons of already-made clothing, just want options. I'd hate to buy already made clothing and then have to mod it. Just seems like a waste.

I tried searching "cloth" in subject titles and came up with zilch.

Comment

• scott metzger
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 9, 2007

Does that have a one or two way stretch to it (spandex, I'm thinking two)?

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

Two-way, I believe.

KOMonger: For cotton cloth for civilian clothing, go to Jo Ann's and look for broadcloth, poplin, lightweight twill, or shirting. These fabrics come in many colors.

Comment

• Legend of Link
                      Career Member
                      • Jun 12, 2010

See this is where I’m perplexed: when I go to Jo Ann’s I always buy this 80/20 nylon spandex blend that is super easy to sew and is a four way stretch (at least that’s what the bolt says). Is it safe to assume that it’s all just a “breed” of milliskin? The material I originally was questioning is quiet different from that 80/20 blend but retailers are saying it’s the same? I’ll find out once I receive the fabric this week, but it’s just mind boggling until haha.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

No, the other way around: milliskin is a variety of spandex with a smoother texture.

Comment

• Legend of Link
                          Career Member
                          • Jun 12, 2010

No, the other way around: milliskin is a variety of spandex with a smoother texture.
                          Perfect. I’m still excited nevertheless to try this milliskin.

Comment

• KOMonger
                            Banned
                            • Feb 17, 2015

Two-way, I believe.

KOMonger: For cotton cloth for civilian clothing, go to Jo Ann's and look for broadcloth, poplin, lightweight twill, or shirting. These fabrics come in many colors.
                            Thank you very much, I'll check into it! So far I've come across linen via Ebay.

Comment

• Legend of Link
                              Career Member
                              • Jun 12, 2010

Got the fabric today. I can’t express my happiness. It’s exactly what I’ve been searching for for! Some cool stuff is gonna be coming soon!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎