Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Germans in Mexico shopping, eating, drinking German stuff...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Germans in Mexico shopping, eating, drinking German stuff...

Their Spanish is pretty good, but I’m more impressed with their knowledge of Mexican slang, lol...

It’s mostly in Spanish with some German, but you pretty much get the picture...they are thrilled to find items from their motherland...

Last edited by Hector; Jul 22, '18, 5:24 PM.
    sigpic
  • LordMudd
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 22, 2011

Most Germans are bilingual. They were required to learn English in school up until the occupation officially ended in the 90's. I remember hearing about some who did not like that and would not keep it up after school. I would imagine Spanish would be a popular alternative because Spain was not part of the war and so many Germans like South America.

CCC.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
      HULK SMASH!
      • Apr 3, 2010

Originally posted by LordMudd
      I would imagine Spanish would be a popular alternative because Spain was not part of the war and so many Germans like South America.
      CCC.
      Especially the ones who fled to Argentina, Chile and Brazil after WW2.
      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• LordMudd
        Persistent Member
        • Aug 22, 2011

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
        Especially the ones who fled to Argentina, Chile and Brazil after WW2.
        They fled to preexisting german communities that still continue to grow. I am not vindicating anything, when I was there, most of the people were happy we were there because they had family on the other side and knew what it would be like under the Russians, but 50 years as an occupied country, even occupied by America, is a very long time.

CCC.

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

From what I've personally witnessed, Germans seem to love New World Spanish Colonies/Countries in general.

Vacationed in Dominican Republic and EVERYTHING was geared toward German tourists (especially the food)… As a Polish-American I was totally fine with this - most foods are similar

My take, ……… Germans LOVE New World Spanish Culture

Has nothing to do with WW2 or Nazis imo… and this is coming from someone who has no love for nazis

Comment

• Bruce Banner
            HULK SMASH!
            • Apr 3, 2010

Certainly, I wasn't referring to German tourists who love South American culture. South American countries have hosted thousands of German immigrants for many, many decades and maintain traditionally close ties with Germany.

I was merely referencing the historical fact that thousands of high-ranking Nazis fled to Chile, Brazil and Argentina towards the end of WW2, most notably the infamous Adolf Eichmann, Franz Stangl and Dr. Josef Mengele.
            PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎