X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Megotastrophe
    Permanent Member
    • Jun 29, 2018

Leave Shatner Alone, Ok?

I loved this. I can see his point. If he signs a hundred autographs then the 101st person is gonna all him a jerk on his blog and and say how entitled he is yada yada. There is literally no winning for him. Plus that is basically his job now, signing autographs at Cons and such. If I'm at Chili's sucking down ribs I don't wanna start giving instructions on birthing babies or doing CPR to other people around me.
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

I remember walking through the State Theater and passed Larry Holmes in the lobby - nobody else was around

While passing I said.... Champ, you are such THE MAN …. He smiled, said "thanks man" and kept on his way.

I treasure that moment more than a forced autograph or even a handshake

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

I remember the days when people didn't charge for the signature. I think it's pretty greedy how much they charge for them.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

at the cons, the celebrity is not charging that, the Con admins are charging what they think they can get

Comment

• Megotastrophe
          Permanent Member
          • Jun 29, 2018

Originally posted by Mikey
          I remember walking through the State Theater and passed Larry Holmes in the lobby - nobody else was around

While passing I said.... Champ, you are such THE MAN …. He smiled, said "thanks man" and kept on his way.

I treasure that moment more than a forced autograph or even a handshake
          For some reason I was thinking of John Holmes...for a solid 5 minutes when I read this. That would have been a weird airport meet too.

Comment

• hobub
            Ghost of a Dead Indian
            • Jun 18, 2001

He probably feels that at 87 he's earned his privacy. And I can't say I blame him. What's weird is I just googled his name and age and saw at 81 years old a picture of an old bald man with a little kid's face (checkov). That was kind of weird and reminds me that time is spiraling out of control at warp speed.

Comment

• enyawd72
              Maker of Monsters!
              • Oct 1, 2009

I'm with Shatner 100% on this. Fans often seem to forget...actors are real people, not the characters they play. They have a right to their own private space just like anyone else. I can't imagine what it must be like to be hounded everywhere you go...to not be able to eat a meal, or even use the bathroom in peace.

Comment

• TrekStar
                Trek or Treat
                • Jan 20, 2011

I hear he carries a phaser set on stun, or at least he should.

Comment

• JediJaida
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 14, 2008

Yeah, leave him alone fer crying out loud.
                  JediJaida

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

too many fans have this sense of entitlement to have access to celebs if they see them out and about

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

Years ago, my wife and young son went to Metropolis, IL for the Superman celebration. We arrived the day before the festivities, and were touring the Superman Museum when I spotted Noel Neil, the first actress to play Lois Lane, and patron saint of the Metropolis event. She was just touring the museum too with a friend/handler/agent, and I was NOT about to go up and bother her. She stopped and talked to our son who was like two or three at the time, and was just as nice as you'd imagine, telling us how cute he was in his Superman shirt. Even then, I didn't say "I KNOW YOU! SIGN THIS!!" or anything like that. I just smiled at her, talked to her like a normal human being, and walked away smiling. I hope I remember to always do that when I encounter famous people out and about. A quick nod and a smile is more than enough, and it's a much more memorable encounter than being herded through a line like cattle for two seconds of non-interaction.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
                        Career Member
                        • Nov 22, 2011

Has anyone else seen the TV show "Better late than never"? Bill Shatner knows his autograph is worth tall paper. Why would/should he just give it away. I've met him over a dozen times at cons and even sat next to him to help with pics while he was signing. That's a long hard job. Some people are rude and ask ridiculous questions. The worst was, "Where do you get your toupees from?" Why in Gods name would a fan ask that. Bill laughed it off with no response. I asked him if that happens often. He replied with "People are people, most of them are sleep walking through life" I've never forgot that and have done my best to stay focused ever since.
                        "May fortune favor the foolish"

Comment

• enyawd72
                          Maker of Monsters!
                          • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                          Years ago, my wife and young son went to Metropolis, IL for the Superman celebration. We arrived the day before the festivities, and were touring the Superman Museum when I spotted Noel Neil, the first actress to play Lois Lane, and patron saint of the Metropolis event. She was just touring the museum too with a friend/handler/agent, and I was NOT about to go up and bother her. She stopped and talked to our son who was like two or three at the time, and was just as nice as you'd imagine, telling us how cute he was in his Superman shirt. Even then, I didn't say "I KNOW YOU! SIGN THIS!!" or anything like that. I just smiled at her, talked to her like a normal human being, and walked away smiling. I hope I remember to always do that when I encounter famous people out and about. A quick nod and a smile is more than enough, and it's a much more memorable encounter than being herded through a line like cattle for two seconds of non-interaction.

Chris
                          I saw Cillian Murphy 15 years ago in a Long John Silver's No kidding. He was eating by himself. I recognized him as I was passing by and stopped dead in my tracks...I said "Are you...? He politely nodded. I just smiled and said...Cool. And kept on walking.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

I saw Cillian Murphy 15 years ago in a Long John Silver's No kidding. He was eating by himself. I recognized him as I was passing by and stopped dead in my tracks...I said "Are you...? He politely nodded. I just smiled and said...Cool. And kept on walking.
                            That's wild! Even wilder is the fact that he stays that thin and eats at LJS!!!

Has anyone else seen the TV show "Better late than never"? Bill Shatner knows his autograph is worth tall paper. Why would/should he just give it away. I've met him over a dozen times at cons and even sat next to him to help with pics while he was signing. That's a long hard job. Some people are rude and ask ridiculous questions. The worst was, "Where do you get your toupees from?" Why in Gods name would a fan ask that. Bill laughed it off with no response. I asked him if that happens often. He replied with "People are people, most of them are sleep walking through life" I've never forgot that and have done my best to stay focused ever since.
                            Wow, what a ****** to ask him that. Good advice from him also. My autograph encounter with Shatner was pleasant but brief. We saw him at the same show later driving outside the con on his own little cart with his entourage in the back. It was cool to see the Captain in charge. We all waved at him and he smiled and waved back. That was better than the autograph.

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                              Muddling through
                              • Oct 4, 2008

agreed. time and place for everything. I remember seeing Nia Peoples at great adventure years ago, when she was actually still a quasi celebrity. I would never have dreamed of bothering her, no matter how gorgeous she was.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎