• Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

sigpic

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
      Career Member
      • Nov 22, 2011

Really looking forward to seeing this. Not as much as a Batman flick but, it looks like a buyer to me.
      "May fortune favor the foolish"

Comment

• huedell
        Museum Ball Eater
        • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Madcap70
        No it's not it's just that they don't know what do do with it they should sell it back to Marvel and they won't...
        Originally posted by hedrap
        Yeah. That's all sorts of wrong.
        But, business-wise, isn't it obviously how to handle this?

Wouldn't holding a Marvel property without risking a failed movie make sense in the aftermath of the Spider-Man deal?

Now there's a precedent of forcing the MCU to make YOU money!
        "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• hedrap
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by huedell
          But, business-wise, isn't it obviously how to handle this?

Wouldn't holding a Marvel property without risking a failed movie make sense in the aftermath of the Spider-Man deal?

Now there's a precedent of forcing the MCU to make YOU money!
          Exactly. Do people really think Universal isn't willing to sell the rights back? Of course they are. The issue is Marvel doesn't want to pay market value. What's Namor's rights worth now? I'd say 75mil. Marvel doesn't want to pay because it will mean the first Sub-Mariner film might only break even. The real problem is post-Aquaman. If that explodes, Universal could ask 25% over AQ's opening. If it implodes, Subby is a floater.

The contracts Marvel signed in the 80's were logical at the time because the common approach to developing properties took years without star actors or directors instantly attached. It only looks like a heist in retrospect, but even then, without those deals in place the Marvel cartoon explosion of the 90's wouldn't have happened. Marvel on Fox Kids was begat by their business with New World. Without Fox Kids, Fox doesn't put X-Men into film development.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

Apparently SDCC crowds saw an extended version of the trailer with footage of Mamoa in the classic suit as seen in the statue above and all the toys from the con.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 10, 2009

^I read that once, but nowhere else.

Combine it with the WW84 stuff and that's a nice move on WB's part. I'm wondering if they're going to try and reposition themselves to takeover SDCC as Disney keeps moving Marvel's reveals to D23.

Comment

• huedell
                Museum Ball Eater
                • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by hedrap
                Exactly. Do people really think Universal isn't willing to sell the rights back? Of course they are. The issue is Marvel doesn't want to pay market value. What's Namor's rights worth now? I'd say 75mil. Marvel doesn't want to pay because it will mean the first Sub-Mariner film might only break even. The real problem is post-Aquaman. If that explodes, Universal could ask 25% over AQ's opening. If it implodes, Subby is a floater.
                As usual, your insight is invigorating.

I wasn't looking at it from Universal's business POV... that they'd be pleased to get some money flowin' as opposed to holding Marvel over a barrel.

There's also the logic that with so many valuable Marvel characters at their disposal that Marvel would try their best not to needlessly invest in a 2nd or 3rd their character if they didn't have to.
                "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                  Apparently SDCC crowds saw an extended version of the trailer with footage of Mamoa in the classic suit as seen in the statue above and all the toys from the con.

Chris
                  I'm surprised and very pleased to see him in the classic suit, I never expected that.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Madcap70
                    • Dec 4, 2017

Originally posted by huedell
                    As usual, your insight is invigorating.

I wasn't looking at it from Universal's business POV... that they'd be pleased to get some money flowin' as opposed to holding Marvel over a barrel.

There's also the logic that with so many valuable Marvel characters at their disposal that Marvel would try their best not to needlessly invest in a 2nd or 3rd their character if they didn't have to.
                    And why should Marvel have to pay "market Value" for a property that:

1.Hasn't done anything or been in any way shape or form even mentioned to be made
                    2.Universal is still being a ***** for not wanting to make a solo Hulk Film (F Universal sorry)
                    3.Universal could make SOMETHING out of this because by doing spider-man deal with the Hulk but Marvel could use him in other films to get around that distribution that universal holds over them...losers

Like Sony that one day will sell all or most of it's properties and Marvel will get Spider-Man back I want Marvel to get ALL of their properties back because they would been done right and they could cross over like the other MCU films and character's do screw Universal I don't give a rat's *** about them me like many others are the one's that will pay the ticket to see the films and buy the merchandise etc. I don't care about petty feuds between studios...fans want a universe like in the comic's where it's ONE shared universe and anyone can pop in because it is one world...that's how it should be

Comment

• MRP
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 19, 2016

Wait, didn't I see this trailer already...like back when it was the Black Panther trailer...

-M
                      "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Mego Milk
                        Custom Mego Maker
                        • Jun 3, 2007

I am going to see this.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡