X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theantiquetiger
    Fra-gee-lay Thats Italian
    • Nov 12, 2005

If you ever shop at Haverty's...

...get the corporate office complaint number handy!!!

Last Saturday, my wife and I went to Haverty's to get a bedroom set for our 5 year old. We knew what we wanted, knew the price, etc. We walked in and within 10 minutes we had told the salesman what we wanted, etc. He writes it up and brings me the bill. I tell him, "Ok, these are your prices, but what can I get them for cash?"

He tells me Haverty's does not haggle prices, the price is set. I try to barter but they will not budge, so we tell them call me if they reconsider and we leave.

After a week and searching everywhere for a white four poster bed, we decide to go back and get the furniture at their price, minus one piece. We go there Friday evening (last night) and tell another salesman what we want. He brings me the bill and it is more than the total last week and there is one less piece. He tells me they were on sale last week and this is the regular price. I ask for the manager and tell him they need to honor the price quoted to me last week and he says no. He tells me if I could produce the quote from last week he would honor it. I tell him, I don't have anything but the salesman from last week does. So we leave again with a pocket full of money, waiting for a call this morning from the salesman last week.

Both of these times we were there, we were the ONLY customers in there.

I get a call from the 1st salesman this morning. He tells me he has the quote but cannot honor it. I ask for the manager again and this time it is the GM. He tells me the same thing. He even told me I need to buy it at this price because they will most likely go up again. I never used profanity on him, but I called him everything from an idiot, liar, and a poor business man. While I am talking to him, a delivery of $1500 worth of furniture arrives from another store, and I let him know I bought it last night, just after I left his store, and was planning on spending it at his store instead.

I could tell I was getting no where with this idiot, so I ask for corporate office number and he gives it to me. I call them, tell them everything and within five minutes after I hang up with them, the GM calls me back, saying he will honor the quote and apologized!!!
    sigpic
  • SUP-Ronin
    Stuck in a laundry shoot.
    • Oct 8, 2007

Way to follow through!! I absolutely cannot tolerate poor customer service. It is entirely unacceptable. I had a similar problem with Direct TV. Never got any satifaction, only lies, headaches, and fits of rage. Worst customer service EVER!!!!
    "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• Adam West
      Museum CPA
      • Apr 14, 2003

My sister-in-law is living proof that everything is negotiable....she has always worked in sales and know how the game is played.

Is the furniture a brand name that you can purchase elsewhere? Here's what my sister-in-law would have done in your situation. The first time around, when the salesman would not budge, ask to speak to the manager. Pull out the cash to show him that you are serious, you are willing to buy today, but want something. My sister-in-law will switch tactics and ask the manager "what can you do for me to give me the incentive to buy from you today?" Usually, the manager will knock off 5 0r 10% without blinking but my sister-in-law won't stop there. She'll negotiate further discounts or ask them to throw in an extra piece...anything to make it a win/win. She never raises her voice but will ask them if they work off of commission and then try to squeeze everything out. Her opinion is you won't get if you don't ask.

Most of my high end furniture, I will occassionally purchase directly from High Point, North Carolina and save about 25-30% over the best price at retail but these are brands like Pennsylvania House, Lexington, high end furniture. I did negotiate a great price locally though with a kitchen table set. Went to a local high end store and negotiated the best deal they would give. I had them put in writing and told them to give me a day or two to think it over. The next day I walked into a competitor, handed them my quote sheet and asked if they could beat the price. They knocked off 10%, gave me deferred financing, and free shipping.
      "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
      ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• toys2cool
        Ultimate Mego Warrior
        • Nov 27, 2006

that was bad ***! Chris,way to go dude.I would've snapped and told them all off and never returned to that store
        "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
        My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎