X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Megotastrophe
    Permanent Member
    • Jun 29, 2018

Twin Toys: Separated at the Factory

The resemblance between Big Jim and Pulsar had come up in another thread and then we talked about other Look alike toys and sculpts and I just remembered this one. Apparently the 1996 or 97 Action Man Lunar Rover

Is exactly the same mold as the Mattel Small Soldiers Ground Assault Vehicle.
    Since it holds 12" figures and 6" figres I bet it would hold a Mego 8" figure...

• Ninersphan1
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 27, 2009

Originally posted by Megotastrophe
    The resemblance between Big Jim and Pulsar had come up in another thread and then we talked about other Look alike toys and sculpts and I just remembered this one. Apparently the 1996 or 97 Action Man Lunar Rover

Is exactly the same mold as the Mattel Small Soldiers Ground Assault Vehicle.
    Since it holds 12" figures and 6" figres I bet it would hold a Mego 8" figure...

Small Soldiers, were not made by Mattel, but by Hasbro, hence the re-use of an Action man toy in the line. It's the same company.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
      Permanent Member
      • Jun 29, 2018

Well I looked again. It was Kenner that had the Small Soldiers license. I cannot remember when Kenner was eaten by Hasbro but interesting that Kenner had access to an existing Hasbro mold...

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

I believe Kenner was taken over in the early nineties. the Star Wars toys released in 95 were on Kenner marked cards but already owned by Hasbro, as I recall

Comment

• Megotastrophe
          Permanent Member
          • Jun 29, 2018

Totally possible. Weird how long they kept Kenner as a separate label then. I know it was the very late 90's when I noticed Kenner disappeared completely from the shelves.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
            Permanent Member
            • Jun 29, 2018

Kenner Parker was acquired by Tonka in 1987. Under Tonka management, Kenner Products was reconstituted as a division.[3] Tonka (including Kenner) was purchased by the toy company Hasbro in mid-1991. Hasbro closed the Cincinnati offices of Kenner in 2000, and Kenner's product lines were merged into Hasbro's.[4]

Comment

• tmthor
              God of Knock-offs
              • Nov 29, 2005

Its not the first time many Big Jim stuff got reused in Masters Of the Universe. Even The Second iteration of He-Man had stuff reused in Demolition man. Kenner also reused the Star Wars Creature Cantina in their Western Line. One of the classics were the reuse of the Major Matt Mason "Captain Laser" Body reuse in BSG .
              Last edited by tmthor; Jul 30, '18, 3:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎