Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FTC really quiet on releases. specifically 77 Wonder Woman.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KOMonger
    Banned
    • Feb 17, 2015

Originally posted by PNGwynne
    ...but it features no new tooling for accessories and is one of the worst examples of the company's long-standing problem with head scale. I think the soft goods are very nice, but the cloak material is poorly-chosen and the sewn hat is a detriment. Just my opinion.
    I don't have very many FTC figures yet so I don't know, were these gloves used before? I keep coming across the peg versions. I plan to buy sets of all three versions of these for future swap-outs. I was checking CTVT custom offerings and couldn't find the dagger and gun being offered separately. The dagger shown is different from what I have.
    I think the cloak is awesome. I'm convinced the material was chosen for it's ability to fall naturally. FTC also took care to use a different material for the collar to maintain it's look and not wrinkle.

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by KOMonger
      I don't think anybody here is drinking the Kool-Aid. We are sensible enough to see that anything mass-produced out of China will have issues. There's already a thread with some criticisms on new Mego.

Compare TV Batman or Solomon Kane with any Mego 2018 figures out so far. Only Dracula and maybe Jeannie and the Mirror, Mirror Treks match the quality.

Here is what comes with Solomon Kane:
      Figure w/excellent sculpted head w/rooted hair; long-sleeve collared shirt; cloth pants; vest w/8 real eyelets & cord; pair plastic boots; real rubber gloves (not pegged version!); belt w/sword holster; over-the-shoulder belt (faux leather!) w/metal(!) buckle; sash-style belt (cotton); huge "Puritan" cloth cape (secures with metal hook&loop); "long pirate" sword; dagger; gun; cloth hat.
      Look harder there are plenty here that think FTC can do no wrong. And hate to tell you but Kane is ruined by the giant head. That head is either right at 1/6th scale or right below it. Its a great base for Hector Hammond tho.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

The bowie knife, pirate flintlock, and pirate saber are vintage recasts previously used by FTC. (Search for "knife" and "pirate gun".) I overlooked the rubber gloves--I replaced mine with pegged ones, but of course that interferes with grasping. The cape collar is the same material as the cape, just doubled and fused with interfacing. FTC does this for many collars.

I don't hate the cape, I've just seen nicer ones done with fabrics that have a better drape. Getting any fabric to drape at 1/9 scale is a real challenge--you have to cheat with extra tailoring and a more labor-intensive pattern.

I would have sacrificed the dagger for Kane's signature staff, but my biggest concerns with this figure were the head scale and hat. I'm going to send you a PM with a custom suggestion.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• KOMonger
          Banned
          • Feb 17, 2015

Funny, I just went through the galleries for Pirates, Robin Hood and Knights. I wanted to satisfy my curiousity of the origins of these parts.
          I did find where the gun and sword were used, but I still haven't found the knife/dagger. I will watch out for your pm.

Here's a crude photoshopped version I just did of the "Kane" knife I'm trying to identify. If anyone knows where else it can be found...

*I don't have a camera
          Last edited by KOMonger; Aug 7, '18, 7:36 PM.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

My Kane has a silver bowie knife (like for Cochise, Crockett & Tarzan). It is cast to match the sword. Those above are Merry Men/Tim Mee Western knives. Your photoshop mimics a bowie knife and these are on the CTVT site. The knife pictured on the prototype Kane is different still.
            Last edited by PNGwynne; Aug 7, '18, 7:52 PM.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• KOMonger
              Banned
              • Feb 17, 2015

Originally posted by PNGwynne
              My Kane has a silver bowie knife (like for Cochise, Crockett & Tarzan). It is cast to match the sword. Those above are Merry Men/Tim Mee Western knives. Your photoshop mimics a bowie knife and these are on the CTVT site. The knife pictured on the prototype Kane is different still.
              Okay, I found it in the Western Accessories section. I had already checked the museum so I skipped this section altogether, but there it is right in the category picture! Interestingly, their pic of the "grey knife" is so crude it appears to be something else, but "white knife" and "black knife" are dead-on.

Comment

• lilbrosj66
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 4, 2011

I don't even remember the last time I bought an FTC figure. I just got to the point I can't shell out the kind of money for figures that continue to have issues. Head too big. Head crooked. Bad paint apps. Body issues. Plastic melt. Feet and hands that fall off. Figures that can't pose or stand on their own. And this is a company that has had YEARS to figure it out.

I bought the entire first run of Mego figures and aside from the neck issue on Zod and Batman which they have already addressed for the next wave, not one issue with any of them except for a crooked collar on Sulu. They don't flop over. They stand straight. Tight joints. Sturdy bodies. Great sculpts that are not lopsided or horse-jawed.

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
                  Career Member
                  • Nov 22, 2011

Originally posted by kingkongsy
                  I find it ironic that FTC is doing a Wonder Woman Lynda Carter line since 1 year ago I emailed them regarding remaking the Mego doll. They laughed and claimed they were not going to pay a license fee to use
                  Lynda Carter's image
                  I emailed them as well requesting a Lynda Carter Wonder Woman figure. I wonder just how many people may have written them.
                  "May fortune favor the foolish"

Comment

• Madcap70
                    • Dec 4, 2017

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                    Look harder there are plenty here that think FTC can do no wrong. And hate to tell you but Kane is ruined by the giant head. That head is either right at 1/6th scale or right below it. Its a great base for Hector Hammond tho.
                    Then I ask why the constant bashing like you bought the figures and are now out some money because their quality is not up to par? I've gotten some of their figures not bad but hey at least were getting figures we never got before...

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Madcap70
                      Then I ask why the constant bashing like you bought the figures and are now out some money because their quality is not up to par? I've gotten some of their figures not bad but hey at least were getting figures we never got before...
                      right some new figures with subpar heads or wonky bodies. I passed on more than a few...Bizarro, Kane, Space Ghost, the first Lex, Poison Ivy, etc due to just flat out poor workmanship on FTC's part. I have all of the 66 Batman figures that are not variants and a lot of others to go with him like Ra's, Scarecrow. I want to get Ivy to add to the 66 line but will have to cobble one together so I don't have to look at the Daisy Duke red head version.
                      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
                        Career Member
                        • Nov 22, 2011

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                        right some new figures with subpar heads or wonky bodies. I passed on more than a few...Bizarro, Kane, Space Ghost, the first Lex, Poison Ivy, etc due to just flat out poor workmanship on FTC's part. I have all of the 66 Batman figures that are not variants and a lot of others to go with him like Ra's, Scarecrow. I want to get Ivy to add to the 66 line but will have to cobble one together so I don't have to look at the Daisy Duke red head version.
                        I was very hopeful on Space Ghost and Gilligan's Island figs but was disappointed. Jan and Jace turned out great but Space Ghost figure was less than average to me. I'll make my own custom.
                        Gilligan's Island really needed a better sculpt for Gilligan and make all the castaways or why bother?.
                        I will give credit to FTC for bringing my 66 Batman 8 inch dreams to reality. They made some great 66 Batman figures for the most part. I would've like to have seen a better sculpt for Barbara Gordon. RC Batgirl and Commissioner Gordon. NOW, If we can get an accurate scale and detail Batmobile and a better Batcave. :::sigh::: The 66 Batcave is just too expensive for what you get.
                        "May fortune favor the foolish"

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎