X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • huedell
    Museum Ball Eater
    • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by ODBJBG
    I'm sure the wrestling one will focus on the Hasbro WWF figures, but wrestling figures have been a staple of the toy aisle since the early 1980s. Outlasting tons of other stuff and are arguably Mattel's biggest license today. Pretty obvious inclusion, with clear areas of focus. Batman, while a good topic, isn't really able to focus on any one area. The longest Batman toylines are directly connected to movies and cartoons from Kenner with short life spans. So as a topic, I feel like it would be all over the place. The wrestling one will obviously touch on a bunch of stuff, LJN, Remco, Hasbro, Jakks, etc, but still less all over the place than a Batman episode would be.
    After the unique "all over the place" aspect of the Star Trek episode, I wouldn't be surprised at any approach to a licence like Batman...actually, I had ben thinking... why not compliment the Star Trek episode with, instead of a Batman episode, a DC episode, followed by a Marvel episode?
    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• mego
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 16, 2012

These toy lines aren't really my thing, but I've gotta say - I've enjoyed every episode of this show. For some reason, the stuff I'm not initially interested in happens to be fascinating. I'm really looking forward to another season of wacky toy history!

Comment

• kerowack
        Career Member
        • Feb 27, 2008

I thought the star trek episode was the worst of the series. It focused way too heavily on the negative, and they always pull that one fan in for interviews(who I believe is being made fun of in some respects) . And you are right. After that episode, they can go any direction with the others.

Comment

• huedell
          Museum Ball Eater
          • Dec 31, 2003

Another vote for Hot Wheels... and wouldn't Tonka Trucks be a good one, too?

I never had one but it seems that those trucks were a huge part of the industry at one point.

Oh.... and a whole doc series called The Home Video Games That Made Us with Atari 2600, Intellivision, Nintendo and Sega as a first season
          Last edited by huedell; Aug 9, '18, 10:05 AM.
          "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by kerowack
            I thought the star trek episode was the worst of the series. It focused way too heavily on the negative, and they always pull that one fan in for interviews(who I believe is being made fun of in some respects) . And you are right. After that episode, they can go any direction with the others.

Yeah it had way too much snark, like right out the gate you're told three times Star Wars sold better. Why do that?

Also, they really wanted to paint Mego as a joke and Marty a fool, I know for a fact that segment wasn't accuratley edited and that story they told was BS.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• huedell
              Museum Ball Eater
              • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
              Yeah it had way too much snark, like right out the gate you're told three times Star Wars sold better. Why do that?

Also, they really wanted to paint Mego as a joke and Marty a fool, I know for a fact that segment wasn't accuratley edited and that story they told was BS.
              I know I may come across oblivious as far Internet social skills as evidenced in the last couple decades... but that naivete obviously stretches into this kind of thing.

I'll have to re-watch that Star Trek episode from the POV you described... when I watched it originally, the only time I felt anything truly negative/malicious was pressing Marty on the company's demise, and having him appear blase about its questionable end.

Actually, on further thought, that was one moment that made me more questioning Marty's ethics, than questioning if he was a fool. I mean, it wasn't something that bothered me for more than a moment, but I remember that.

The passing Star Wars stuff? I must be numb to it by now

I do remember thinking it was actually a good thing they put it in there as I had never heard it documented to that extent. I didn't notice the repetition, although I don't doubt it was there.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

I wondered how Marty felt about that as soon as I watched it.

Lego was overall very positive, but I wonder how that Lego company archivist felt about seeming like some zealot saying "the system" over and over? Yeah, it made for a fun running gag, but I wonder how the butt of these jokes feel about such editing "tricks".
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎