X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Bat
    Batman Fanatic
    • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by palitoy
    how wrestling beat Batman or the Universal Monsters I'll never know...

Yeah, I'm with ya...that's a real head scratcher.
    sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Werewolf
      I like My Little Pony.
      I wasn't debating it's place 30 years and a huge following, I get it. I just don't quite put "wrasslin'" in the same category.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

I just don't quite put "wrasslin'" in the same category.
        I don't get it either. GI JOE jumped the shark for me when they added Sgt. Slaughter.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• kerowack
          Career Member
          • Feb 27, 2008

I wasn't debating it's place 30 years and a huge following, I get it. I just don't quite put "wrasslin'" in the same category.

I’m 40 and for the majority of my life, wrestling has been WAY more popular than the universal monsters. Wrestling figures have a lot of shelf space at every retailer and monster figures are seasonal at best. This board is definitely demographically older than most of the selections, but the selections are all strong entries with solid fan bases.

Comment

• palitoy
            • Jun 16, 2001

They should just change the name of the show to "the 80s toys that made us" and that's totally fine because that's where their passion is. They are ignoring a lot of stuff with solid fan bases that cross 5 decades. I was pretty keen on the shows first season because of that, now it seems there was nothing past 1985.

And to each their own, I know wrestling has it's fans but i view it more as sports memoribilia than I do a classic toy line. I'd sooner see a whole show about Hot Wheels and I don't collect those either.

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

As much as a like My little Pony I'm actually kind of dreading the episode. My fear is they will turn it into some kind of Bronie freak show instead of focusing on history of the brand or the even kids that had the original toys in the 80s.
              Last edited by Werewolf; Jul 21, '18, 11:43 AM. Reason: typos
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• hedrap
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 10, 2009

They should just change the name of the show to "the 80s toys that made us" and that's totally fine because that's where their passion is. They are ignoring a lot of stuff with solid fan bases that cross 5 decades. I was pretty keen on the shows first season because of that, now it seems there was nothing past 1985.

And to each their own, I know wrestling has it's fans but i view it more as sports memoribilia than I do a classic toy line. I'd sooner see a whole show about Hot Wheels and I don't collect those either.
                This is Netflix metrics influencing choices. The demo info they were given, (a per show breakdown of male/female, ages, income, other Netflix viewing habits, other svod subscriptions) told them where to focus. I wouldn't be surpised if Hello Kitty, MOTU and Transformers were their most viewed.

Even with that data, wrestling is/was big because it's an industry unto itself. The toys did not make it big. Rocky 3 and MTV made it big. That's why the Universal Monsters or Godzilla analogies are valid. So if the criteria is "The Toy Line made this brand a pop culture bedrock"...

...then where's the Smurfs ep?

Comment

• palitoy
                  • Jun 16, 2001

The Power Rangers show could actually be really good depending on how far they dig back. I think the five man concept began in 1978 and were connected to Marvel, so depending on how that one is handled, it could be the best one.

Comment

• hedrap
                    Permanent Member
                    • Feb 10, 2009

The Power Rangers show could actually be really good depending on how far they dig back. I think the five man concept began in 1978 and were connected to Marvel, so depending on how that one is handled, it could be the best one.
                    That's what I was thinking. It should connect to Kamen Rider. The irony is Kamen appeared on the same day as Mazinger, so we're back to 70's toys, Shogun Warriors and everything begat from that.

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by hedrap
                      ...then where's the Smurfs ep?
                      That would be good!

Comment

• Mary Canary
                        Career Member
                        • Jun 21, 2017

I actually watched the Hello Kitty episode last night. It was the only one of the series I hadn't seen, and I actually really enjoyed it. I don't think you have to be a fan of a specific toyline to still get some entertainment value out of this show. Just a love of toy-related things and toy history. Which tells me I'll probably end up watching and liking the wrestling one too, even though I could care less about wrestling. I do remember working at Kay Bee in the early 90s and the WWF (or was it WWE?) figures sold really well.

Power Rangers also hit the US market during my Kay Bee days. I remember parents braving an ice storm and rushing through the store after the gate went up on Black Friday morning to score Rangers toys. They've been around for 20 years pretty much non-stop. I've seen people complain Voltron deserved a show first, but how long was Voltron around for vs. Power Rangers? And maybe the show will touch on things like Voltron and Battle of the Planets.

TMNT and MLP are both toy giants. I can see Hot Wheels and Matchbox getting a future episode, even though I'm not a fan (not really a fan of any of these 4 newly announced lines, but see comment above about enjoying the show anyway). Jem fans have been campaigning for that property to get an episode. I mean, there are sooo many they could do. I think as long as people keep watching the show, they'll keep creating new episodes and maybe your fan-favorite (Batman, DC, Marvel, Thundercats, Universal Monsters, Micro Machines, Strawberry Shortcake, etc. etc. etc.) will eventually get a turn.

Comment

• huedell
                          Museum Ball Eater
                          • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Hedji
                          If it’s well produced, it can still be a good watch even if it’s not a toy line you collected.

The Barbie episode for me was one of the most entertaining and educational. Whereas I’ve sort of forgotten what they did with the Star Wars episode, since I’ve been to that well so many times.

I do understand disappointment with not seeing “our” toy lines represented, but I wouldn’t write it off completely.
                          This isn't Facebook... but I have to LIKE your post. Its exactly how I feel.
                          "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• noelani72
                            27inaleon
                            • Jun 25, 2002

^^this! good point.

Comment

• TheMegoGuy
                              Museum Super Collector
                              • Jan 26, 2014

I thought the Mego Popy Battle Fever J figures were early Power Rangers?

Comment

• ODBJBG
                                Permanent Member
                                • May 15, 2009

I'm sure the wrestling one will focus on the Hasbro WWF figures, but wrestling figures have been a staple of the toy aisle since the early 1980s. Outlasting tons of other stuff and are arguably Mattel's biggest license today. Pretty obvious inclusion, with clear areas of focus. Batman, while a good topic, isn't really able to focus on any one area. The longest Batman toylines are directly connected to movies and cartoons from Kenner with short life spans. So as a topic, I feel like it would be all over the place. The wrestling one will obviously touch on a bunch of stuff, LJN, Remco, Hasbro, Jakks, etc, but still less all over the place than a Batman episode would be.

Power Rangers strikes me as bland. Unless it's all about the Japanese toys, there's not much nostalgia for the original PR toys in the US. They were generally pretty terrible and were only bought because kids loved anything PR. But the toys themselves have always been a sour spot with PR fans. Now in Japan there's some cool stuff, but doesn't seem to be the focus of the show even though they have talked about Japanese stuff (particularly in the Transformers episode) most people haven't even seen the Japan PR merch.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎