X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

One more piece to the puzzle.

Earlier this year, director Zack Snyder implied that Dick Grayson was the dead Robin in Batman v Superman. Not Jason Todd as many fans had assumed. Today, Snyder took away all doubt and said it was “Richard” Dick Grayson.

Snyder confirmed the news to a fan on Vero who had shared the deleted Suicide Squad footage of Batman talking to Harley Quinn about The Joker taking someone from him (he was referring to Robin). When a fan followed up and asked if Snyder intended to bring Dick Grayson back after a Flashpoint movie, Snyder said no. Grayson would stay dead, but he had plans to introduce the female Robin, Carrie Kelley, he said.
    That now looks to be apart of the tug-o-war between Snyder and WB/DC Films.They wanted Grayson connected tangentially to his DCUverse, but he wanted Robin dead. So Titans was Nightwing which would imply Todd was the victim. I'd think this is where Affleck stepped in and took over the Batman reboot, which scuttled Snyder's Carrie Kelly plans.

If you trace the CWTV opposite Snyder's production, he worked hard to marginalize them. The original plan as laid out by Nelson was to interconnect TV and film in a way Marvel had refused to attempt. Then it went away, and there was consideration of stopping the CW shows once JL launched. I believe it was Morrison who convinced Johns to sell a multiverse approach to WB. With Wan and Hamada now heading direction, that will change.
    Snyder's man-crush on Miller is what derailed the DCEU from the get-go, but he diverges from the dead Robin being Robin The Boy Statistic Jason Todd to fan-favorite Dick Grayson?

Of course this is the man who unceremoniously killed Jimmy Olsen as a big FU to tradition, so why should I be surprised?

If any of Batman's DCEU connections continue, no one is beholden to this, since Snyder is out the door, so it least there is that.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Egad, don't get me started on Miller.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• hedrap
        Permanent Member
        • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
        Snyder's man-crush on Miller is what derailed the DCEU from the get-go, but he diverges from the dead Robin being Robin The Boy Statistic Jason Todd to fan-favorite Dick Grayson?

Of course this is the man who unceremoniously killed Jimmy Olsen as a big FU to tradition, so why should I be surprised?

If any of Batman's DCEU connections continue, no one is beholden to this, since Snyder is out the door, so it least there is that.

Chris
        I think you may be right about Didio. He comes from a TV family background and the pairing with Johns was always forced. I assumed it was due to Goyer.

I wouldn't be surprised if Snyder didn't care who people thought it was until the Titans/Nightwing project started. Then ta-da "Sorry, I killed him". That's sorta how the " I killed Jimmy Olsen" thing came about. Originally, Olsen's legs were crushed in the Zod fight and we learn about Cyborg/STAR Labs through him. That morphed into the wheelchair bomber, (who at one point was either Metallo or Shrapnel), and Victor Stone was dropped. Then one day, the guy in desert is Jimmy. If you look at all the incoherent pieces, Corbin-Metallo would have made it seemless.

Matt Reeves wants to do Batman: Year Five or around there. I think that's a good angle, but I think the Phoenix Joker film is going to change a lot of plans.

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

I still don't think the CIA guy was really Jimmy, just his cover name so he could infiltrate the terrorist hideout.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by PNGwynne
            Egad, don't get me started on Miller.
            Not really his fault that DKR got blown all out of proportion and used as a template for decades. Now his later work on Bats was a mess. I still think that the Batman in Dark Knight was Adam West's version.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• LonnieFisher
              Eloquent Member
              • Jan 19, 2008

Titans is an awesome show!

Comment

• MIB41
                Eloquent Member
                • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris

Chris
                I think that best sums up the DCEU issues. Warner Bros. not only hides, but appears asleep, behind the Frank Miller template because of this decades old fear of remaking Batman & Robin.... Did I say decades? Dear God... They seem obsessed over style, versus actual content. And you saw how that pendulum wildly swung when they tried to course correct with Justice League. They need to get someone in there that has pride in the DC comics heritage, as opposed to directors who have dated sensibilities about setting up digital game scenery with all the superheroes posing. These characters need to be relate-able on some emotional level. Modern day audiences have gotten a bit more sophisticated than to sit through two hours of one dimensional eye candy.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

^All good points Tom. Unfortunately, the person who probably has the best chance of doing it is Geoff Johns, and he runs extremely hot and cold. He knows the DC traditions, is a disciple of Richard Donner, but he also has a real dark streak that can run parallel to Snyder in a lot of ways. For every Green Lantern: Rebirth, there's a heads and limbs popping off in Infinite Crisis.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• Brue
                    User without title
                    • Sep 29, 2005

OK - So what has DC learned.?They had Teen Titans Go- a cheeky action anime show that has been immensely popular and dark DC live Action Films that have not been very popular. They decided to scrap what people liked and go with what doesn't work and make it worse.

Add in some bad acting and lots of CGI.

Based on this trailer, this show is dead in the water.

Too bad because a live action Teen Titans should have been good.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Jan 19, 2008

It is good. Really good. And they aren't really teens.

Comment

• Operation:Mego
                        I'm the Star Spangled Man
                        • May 21, 2011

sigpic
                        The event where the fans are separated from the true fans.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                          Muddling through
                          • Oct 4, 2008

the show looks really good. I hope they release it on disc or one of the other streaming services like Netflix(doubtful)

Comment

• MRP
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 19, 2016

We signed up for the DC service and got 3 months free, which made it $4.99 per month, which meant if I watched nothing and just read 2 of the digital comics per month, I would get my money's worth. I had very low expectations for the Titans series based on the trailer. I didn't watch an episode until all 11 were available as I kind of forgot it was on. After my wife went to bed on Christmas Eve, I started watching it and ended up watching the first 4. I got caught up into it. It does try way too hard to be edgy and dark, but the story and the characters were compelling to me nonetheless. I just finished the finale about 15 minutes ago, and overall on balance, I liked it. I didn't love it, but I do not have viewer's regret feeling I wasted x number of hours of my life by watching it as I did with Batman vs. Superman and Suicide Squad, and because it ended on a cliffhanger, I ended up wanting more and was disappointed I would have to wait to find out what happens. It's not the DCU I grew up with, but it is recognizable as the DCU. There are elements of the Wolfman/Perez Titans there, there are elements of the Geoff Johns Titans, and even of the personalities form the Teen Titans animated. It mixes and matches things and synthesizes something new from it. It won't be to everyone's tastes, and I am surprised I liked it as much as I did after my initial reactions, but for me, it was worth checking out.

-M
                            "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• palitoy
                              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                              • Jun 16, 2001

It appeared on CDN Netflix last night, so i checked it out, pretty compelling. I'd like them to stop with the blue filter but i'll actually watch the whole thing.

Also amused at how easy it was to figure out it's shot in Toronto and Hamilton.
                              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎