X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mary Canary
    Career Member
    • Jun 21, 2017

What Does FTC Think About Mego?

I wonder what FTC thinks about all of this Mego news coming out.
    Do you think they're worried, excited, nonplussed, couldn't care less...?

I've seen a few people post online that they think FTC and Mego will end up merging somehow.
    I don't know that I see that happening... if anything, either FTC will clutch the DC license even tighter or Mego will be ultra successful and snatch the license away from FTC.
    I also don't know that I see FTC dropping their prices to match Mego.

That being said, I don't have any ill wishes for FTC.
    I DO DO DO wish they'd address some of their product quality and customer service issues.
    But I'm still in for Black Canary and some of the other DC stuff they have coming up.

I was actually wondering what they'd be sharing in the Mego Museum Newsletter tomorrow... will they have an epic reveal of their own on top of all this Mego craziness?
  • ODBJBG
    Permanent Member
    • May 15, 2009

I suspect FTC has some concerns, but honestly they have such a huge web presence that they probably think Mego is going to help them out. Lots of people will see new Mego in stores, Google phrases like classic TV toys and end up on one of FTC's sites. If anything it's probably a huge boom for them in that regard.

I'd guess you're right in the fact that they will clutch the DC license even tighter and perhaps pursue some other licenses as well. But FTC clearly has a good relationship with DC/WB so I doubt they are too worried.

Comment

• pmwasson
      Maker
      • Sep 12, 2007

More interest in the 8" cloth format should help everybody
      sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
        Career Member
        • Nov 22, 2011

Originally posted by Mary Canary
        I wonder what FTC thinks about all of this Mego news coming out.
        Do you think they're worried, excited, nonplussed, couldn't care less...?

I've seen a few people post online that they think FTC and Mego will end up merging somehow.
        I don't know that I see that happening... if anything, either FTC will clutch the DC license even tighter or Mego will be ultra successful and snatch the license away from FTC.

That being said, I don't have any ill wishes for FTC.
        I DO DO DO wish they'd address some of their product quality and customer service issues.
        But I'm still in for Black Canary and some of the other DC stuff they have coming up.

I was actually wondering what they'd be sharing in the Mego Museum Newsletter tomorrow... will they have an epic reveal of their own on top of all this Mego craziness?
        Mary Canary,
        These are all good questions and points. Well stated.
        I live in Florida not far from FTC headquarters but, I have no idea what the answers are. I do agree they need to address Quality, price and customer service. It's been my experience that it's "our way or the highway" mentality with them. Very sad because I do like some of there products. I mean the 66 Batman line was a dream come true for me. I sent them emails with product reviews and ideas and never once received and acknowledgement or even a response. Very sad. I always get some sort of email, coupon and even free products when I send reviews and or ideas to companies.

I too wish them no ill will. I would like to see FTC step up and make great figures and affordable prices and for the love of God come out with a better 66 Batmobile.
        "May fortune favor the foolish"

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

I'm just hoping FTC blinks and comes off the price point a bit to compete. 30 bucks a pop is not a collect 'em all price for me.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Mary Canary
            Career Member
            • Jun 21, 2017

Originally posted by Capt_Kirk
            It's been my experience that it's "our way or the highway" mentality with them. Very sad because I do like some of there products.
            Yeah, that's mostly been my impression of them too - at least with regards to my own experiences.
            But I do wish them well and hope this extra boost of competition leads to good things.

I just saw on FB they are promoting their Teen Titans figures, since the new Titans tv show trailer is making the rounds.

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

I am very fond of the people at FTC and have a good relationship with them. They're nice people.

While I haven't broached the subject with them, it could actually be very good for FTC to have the signal of Mego raised so high. They've got choice licenses and desirable product.

Say there are currently 10,000 Mego collectors out there, what happens after all of this we get 15,000 people collecting? That's good for everybody.

Somebody sees a Fonzie at Target, the memories of "That Batman doll" they had come flooding back, guess who has them?

I can't tell you how many collectors I'm friends with who say the Famous Covers brought them down this path....
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• hedrap
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by Mary Canary
                I think that's all on the money. It won't be a merger, it would be a buyout. It really comes down to who has the right to renew licensing? I would assume DC held that card back. DC is not going to want to be involved with a company who doesn't care about QC issues and overpricing the market, when a legit competitor beats them on both issues, plus has one of the two major chains on board.

If I had to guess, FTC floods the market to glom on Mego publicity. Once the Mego sales impact is felt, (I'd say by Wave 2), FTC should be dropping to 20 for new figures...if they can afford that. If they can't, they can always sell the license and backstock to Marty, which would be a great pickup of ready-made products.

Comment

• jeffbearco
                  Persistent Member
                  • Mar 27, 2011

I'm willing to do $30 if the Wonder Woman figures are as good as the 66 Batman figures.

For other, cheaper looking figures though, I'd be happier with $20.

JeffBearCO

Comment

• TrekStar
                    Trek or Treat
                    • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                    I'm just hoping FTC blinks and comes off the price point a bit to compete. 30 bucks a pop is not a collect 'em all price for me.
                    I completely agree, it would be great if FTC dropped there prices to match or come closer to new mego prices, especially since FTC quality is fair at best, for example there female bodies. New mego will not hurt FTC that much, since they will have figures and items new mego won't have and vice verse, kind of like rivals but working together.

Comment

• Mego Newbie14
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 25, 2018

Well because of getting bite by the Mego bug I've been looking at some of FTC offerings and will be ordering some soon. So this could be a real positive like some people have stated.

Comment

• LordMudd
                        Persistent Member
                        • Aug 22, 2011

I really don't care. FTC is starting to do 3 3/4 inch scale. GREAT! Mego has announced nothing in this scale. (Yawn.) Boring.

CCC.

Comment

• DC_Guy
                          Museum Super Collector
                          • Sep 18, 2008

^Of course, Mego's only been back for about fifteen minutes, so some might be inclined to give them a chance...

Comment

• MIB41
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Sep 25, 2005

I tend to think any competition is a good thing for the consumer. When everyone tries harder, the customer usually wins, as do the companies vying for their dollars.

Comment

• melstapler
                              Museum Super Collector
                              • Aug 2, 2014

Although it would be nice to have FTC products available in major chain retail stores, I'd be surprised if that were to happen due to their very large web presence.

From what I understand, the Mego figures being sold in retail right now are limited edition/numbered and exclusive to Target stores. I've been in several of their store locations over the past couple weeks, some don't seem to have received any shipments while others already have these in stock and on the shelves. Although some shoppers may stumble onto these by surprise or new fans will be impressed, I suspect it will mostly be the Mego loyalists such as ourselves who are pursuing them. With the holiday season quickly approaching, hopefully Mego will receive more attention and stay in the public eye. Would love it if they could release more characters through their Target deal in the future.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎