Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayraytee
    Career Member
    • May 27, 2011

Maybe you are misunderstanding my meaning here a bit. I have ran several internet businesses over the years and when choosing where to advertise or where to showcase your product you have to first know your target audience. For example Mattel Retro Action figures and/or the Toys-R-Us Captain Action lines both failed in big main stream general market stores. Personally I think it's largely because of a mixed up focus: The style of figure and character choices were clearly meant for collectors but placed on the shelves next to general toy merchandise where they didn't sell. Collectors bought them, but largely the general market did not. It seemed as though the companies involved thought they could/would get general market sales by advertising and product placement, but they obviously didn't get enough.

One of the bands we worked for has a cult following and we were in talks with a music magazine to buy some advertisement space because the magazine has national distribution. The ads cost a fortune and when talking to the company on the phone they said something interesting, they asked is it the right place to advertise. It's exposure, but if nobody knows who you are and doesn't buy anything based on the ad.. is it worth the expense? You might be better off focusing on advertising and placing your product where your market is.

So in this case, who are you targeting with the new Mego line at Target? As you said kids are not going to want them, the common Target patron won't be interested. It's basically going to only be collectors. Who are the main people that frequent Target? Moms, kids, people buying clothes and house wares, etc. Most collectors frequent online shops, gaming, comic book and movie stores. That's a generalization, but it's true. Sure there are small collector isles at Walmart and Target, but it's not generally a collector's first choice of where to look for stuff. It's never been mine.

For this line to be successful you are going to have to have a lot of collectors buying them, you need the collectors. You can't count on the Moms, kids or the dude that might run across them. So the best place to advertise and place them would be where collectors go first. As it is now, collectors are going to have to go out of their way to track them down at a place they normally wouldn't look. Some will do it, and some won't bother.
    My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• BATMAN89
      Mego obsessed!!!
      • Jul 20, 2010

Originally posted by Z-man 307
      It's great to have a mix of characters/lines. It's just like the 1970's. I didn't buy Happy Days, Robin Hood, or WOZ, but I wasn't upset that they existed.
      I don’t remember knowing about Happy Days, Robin Hood, etc. We had WGSH, Star Trek, and POTA, but I was really fixated on the Superheroes. And the only dolls we had were Batgirl and I think Supergirl.
      Big Kid Toys Facebook Page!

My Good Trader's List
      My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• TrekStar
        Trek or Treat
        • Jan 20, 2011

So as of right now, only Target will be selling new mego either in the stores or on the website?

I'm curious if at some point these figures will show up at local comic book shops, novelty stores at the mall
        and possibly Walmart?

Comment

• Liu Bei
          Banned
          • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by tjacwave50
          So as of right now, only Target will be selling new mego either in the stores or on the website?

I'm curious if at some point these figures will show up at local comic book shops, novelty stores at the mall
          and possibly Walmart?
          If Target is having this much influence, it's hard to imagine these will be anywhere else in the near future. We shall know soon enough, I guess.

Comment

• Mary Canary
            Career Member
            • Jun 21, 2017

^ I could see them in comic book shops at a nice markup, like other limited edition figures that were sold exclusively somewhere else but were somehow acquired for re-sale.

But not another retail chain until after the Target agreement ends, ala DC Super Hero Girls.

Comment

• tmthor
              God of Knock-offs
              • Nov 29, 2005

I think to be more successful they will need to look at releasing some figures in other scales like Funko is doing with 6" & 3 3/4" lines in addition to their pop line. But I think if Mego embraces the smaller retailer and when the Target deal is over they allow smaller retailers and dealers to purchase them directly and not have to deal with middle men or distributors (like diamond) that not all retailers use.
              Last edited by tmthor; Jul 25, '18, 10:41 PM.

Comment

• huedell
                Museum Ball Eater
                • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by jayraytee
                Maybe you are misunderstanding my meaning here a bit.
                I was confused because of the "kids" references, not that they aren't valid, but I was distracted from what you were trying to say about the pitfalls.

The only misunderstanding is you and I have different ideas of who might buy these toys, as far as what might be termed as "non-collector" adults (let's say) 40 years old to, let's say, 60 (i.e. "the Mego-age generation").

I have ran several internet businesses over the years and when choosing where to advertise or where to showcase your product you have to first know your target audience. For example Mattel Retro Action figures and/or the Toys-R-Us Captain Action lines both failed in big main stream general market stores.
                I think they were misplaced and that hey don't belong in mainstream toy stores.

One of the bands we worked for has a cult following and we were in talks with a music magazine to buy some advertisement space because the magazine has national distribution. The ads cost a fortune and when talking to the company on the phone they said something interesting, they asked is it the right place to advertise. It's exposure, but if nobody knows who you are and doesn't buy anything based on the ad.. is it worth the expense? You might be better off focusing on advertising and placing your product where your market is.
                100 percent on-point... the trick is the execution of this mindset.

So in this case, who are you targeting with the new Mego line at Target? As you said kids are not going to want them,the common Target patron won't be interested. It's basically going to only be collectors. Who are the main people that frequent Target? Moms, kids, people buying clothes and house wares, etc. Most collectors frequent online shops, gaming, comic book and movie stores. That's a generalization, but it's true. Sure there are small collector isles at Walmart and Target, but it's not generally a collector's first choice of where to look for stuff. It's never been mine.
                Okay... this makes sense... and although I am hopeful that you are wrong, I can admit it may just be wishful thinking on my part.

I'll tell you what bothers me, though. Why can POP Vinyls survive at Target... as well as other nostalgia and/or collector items, but Mego can't? I mean, is the Mego format really that particularly undesirable these days?

It wouldn't surprise me... but it would bother me.

For this line to be successful you are going to have to have a lot of collectors buying them, you need the collectors. You can't count on the Moms, kids or the dude that might run across them. So the best place to advertise and place them would be where collectors go first. As it is now, collectors are going to have to go out of their way to track them down at a place they normally wouldn't look. Some will do it, and some won't bother.
                Maybe there's something in the equation we're missing. Maybe Target wants to push this certain item because they swung a great deal with Marty or something? And maybe they value this line because of the spectrum of licensed franchises? Like, hey, its our own "POP! Vinyl" thing, with the additional aspect of the format itself being a "nostalgia" selling-point?
                "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• huedell
                  Museum Ball Eater
                  • Dec 31, 2003

and possibly Walmart?
                  If they ARE sold elsewhere, it makes all my rambling above entirely moot.
                  "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• jwyblejr
                    galactic yo-yo
                    • Apr 6, 2006

and possibly Walmart?
                    It's suppose to be only at Target for a year. I'm guessing in a year anyone can sell them,unless Target changes their mind.

Comment

• Psykodelik Vampyre
                      Museum Patron
                      • Jan 22, 2018

Not even on target.com...nice customer service.
                      https://www.reverbnation.com/psykodelikvampyres

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎