X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SWCWorld
    Museum Patron
    • Aug 10, 2011

Originally posted by MRP
    This was one I wasn't expecting until folks started identifying the figures on the blurred pic form the FB page, and now that I have seen it, it's one I definitely want to pick up. I am no longer a "buy whole line, collect them all" kind of collector, I am a pick and choose the pieces that speak to me and excite me, and get them kind of collector now (for space and budgetary reasons) and this Dracula is one that speaks to me and excites me.

-M
    I agree. Once I saw the Legosi figure, I knew it was one I will definitely pick up. I, too will pick and choose, as the hobby fund only goes so far. Although I am not really interested in the majority of the TV Classics line (Charmed, Charlie's Angels, Facts of Life, etc.), I'll definitely pick up the Star Trek singles and this one....

Comment

• Confessional
      Maker & Whatnot
      • Aug 8, 2012

… I know, I'm repeating myself, but c'mon! How cool is Mego Bela!?! <F-YEAH!>

Hope it opens the floodgates of many waves of new Mego Monsters.

Comment

• Falstaff13
        Persistent Member
        • May 28, 2008

I know the reason for going this route is because of rights issues, but I'm all for a line based on Broadway shows. (For that matter, they could also have the Langella Dracula). I actually think there is a small but vibrant market among theatre fans who collect for certain shows. It would be strongest with shows like Wicked or the ones that have Disney times, since that brings in fans of other properties than "just" the shows, but there are Broadway fans who seek merchandise of all types, and there have never been toys like this at all. Using the Lugosi model, they could offer some classics over time by licensing likenesses from estates (Ethel Merman in Annie Get Your Gun, Mary Martin in Peter Pan; maybe go to Carol Channing while she's still with us for an original Hello, Dolly). There could be one of the Phantom of the Opera, and while it's not being pushed for, technically, a Spiderman: Turn Off the Dark figure would be a way to a Marvel license.
        Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
        Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
          Career Member
          • Nov 22, 2011

Originally posted by Werewolf
          Not a chance. Universal owns the Jack Pierce make up designs.
          I was watching the monster squad director's cut and the director stated that he wanted to use the universal monsters make up version however, he was unable to do so because of licensing fees.
          "May fortune favor the foolish"

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Bela Lugosi as Dracula is CRAZY NEAT !!!

Possibly my favorite New Mego yet

Comment

• The Bat
              Batman Fanatic
              • Jul 14, 2002

So if I'm understanding this correctly, Bela is most likely a stand alone figure and not part of an upcoming Monster line...since Mego Corp. doesn't have the Universal Monsters license? Unless of course they go "Generic" and do a Werewolf, Sea Creature, etc...
              sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

I thinks it's open for Mego Corp. to do generics or even Lincoln repros. I think Lugosi is a distinct license but maybe we'll see other versions--Murder Legendre, etc.

Perhaps there could be a Signature horror line with distinct Chaney, Karloff, and Price characters, who knows?
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                  Permanent Member
                  • Jun 29, 2018

Yes. This is Bela from Broadway not Hollywood. He was famous for playing Dracula on the stage years before the movie came out.

Comment

• Joshua the Atomic Robot
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 14, 2012

I love the Universal Monsters, but there are so many classic horror films that are not from Universal too, hopefully the Bela Lugosi figure will just be the beginning. I would love to see a Vincent Price figure next, maybe Peter Lorre too.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                      Permanent Member
                      • Jun 29, 2018

Maybe a Hammer line...Peter Cushing...Christopher Lee...an Roger Corman line...a silent screamer line with nosferatu and Lin Chaney Sr...

Comment

• scott metzger
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 9, 2007

Without knowing more about the licenses, I don't know if we can really conclude anything about what's coming down the road. Still hoping for real, Mego Universal Bela. Kaloff, Chaney Monsters. Wouldn't mind expanding into Hammer stuff, as well.

Comment

• Falstaff13
                          Persistent Member
                          • May 28, 2008

Universal still owns the rights to the design for their horror characters. Do we know if they own likenesses to actors beyond those iconic monsters? For example, could they offer the different Doctors Frankenstein, or would that require a further deal with those actors' estates? I'd love not only to see a Colin Clive, but also a Basil Rathbone "Son of..." (and would love a Rathbone Holmes as well), and it would allow a Karloff, if his mad scientist from House of Frankenstein were an option.
                          Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
                          Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• TrekStar
                            Trek or Treat
                            • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by The Bat
                            So if I'm understanding this correctly, Bela is most likely a stand alone figure and not part of an upcoming Monster line...since Mego Corp. doesn't have the Universal Monsters license? Unless of course they go "Generic" and do a Werewolf, Sea Creature, etc...
                            Could new mego bring back the Mad Monsters series? and add a Creature figure and maybe Invisible man?

Comment

• markp67
                              • Jun 22, 2010

Was thinking that same thing.

Comment

• The Bat
                                Batman Fanatic
                                • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by tjacwave50
                                Could new mego bring back the Mad Monsters series? and add a Creature figure and maybe Invisible man?
                                Again, my thought was Mego Corp. could do Generic Monsters: a Werewolf, a Mummy, or a Sea Creature(but not the Creature from the Black Lagoon)but an original design? Someone else here mentioned The Monster Squad...they had a Creature. So, something along those lines?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎