Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gramercyplace
    Museum Super Collector
    • Jan 23, 2012

This is an embarrassment of riches! All the images pouring in are unbelievable! Holy (insert expletive)!!!!!

Comment

• hedrap
      Permanent Member
      • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by scott metzger
      But none of the other figures we have seen in single cards have been alone, although there's no one else listed on the card. Still wondering if we might see more monsters, Universal or not.
      I'd wager that's due to the license coming from the Lugosi estate which is separate from the Universal Monsters license. Karloff and Chaney are /were also separate. I don't remember if they struck a long-term deal with Uni for royalties.

Comment

• cdhall
        Persistent Member
        • Aug 14, 2004

Originally posted by Gramercyplace
        This is an embarrassment of riches! All the images pouring in are unbelievable! Holy (insert expletive)!!!!!
        We live in interesting times!
        —-
        “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Message, Spock?”
        - Admiral Kirk

"...surely, the best of times."
        - Captain Spock
        https://youtu.be/tOtKcJtahKQ

Comment

• MRP
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 19, 2016

This was one I wasn't expecting until folks started identifying the figures on the blurred pic form the FB page, and now that I have seen it, it's one I definitely want to pick up. I am no longer a "buy whole line, collect them all" kind of collector, I am a pick and choose the pieces that speak to me and excite me, and get them kind of collector now (for space and budgetary reasons) and this Dracula is one that speaks to me and excites me.

-M
          "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Type3Toys
            Home Of The Type3 Body
            • Jan 18, 2005

I am all over this!
            LOOK
            Action Figure Design & Prototypes
            For Samples See Home -Type 3 Body & Spiderman
            To Contact: type3toys@comcast.net

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

I passed on the EMCE Dracula and stuck to the Flatt, but I'm getting this one for sure!

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• scott metzger
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by hedrap
                I'd wager that's due to the license coming from the Lugosi estate which is separate from the Universal Monsters license. Karloff and Chaney are /were also separate. I don't remember if they struck a long-term deal with Uni for royalties.
                But does that mean they could do, say, a Karloff Frankenstein without the Universal license? Always been my understanding flat top, bolts in the neck Franky is a no-no without Universal's okay. That's why we had round headed, bolts on the face Franky in things like Monster Squad. Guess we'll have to see what, if anything, else is shown. Also, Mark of the Vampire may be under Warner's umbrella now or whatever is lrft of MGMi; I'm assuming the would have had to get permission from one them for this version, unless the Lugosi estate had a specific deal with them. So confusing...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

Based on the logo, this looks to be licensed directly from Bela Jr., and based more on the play, just like the Flatt Dracula, and several other products.. Universal probably isn't involved at all.

And I don't think the Karloff and Chaney estates can release any Frankenstein Monster or Wolfman products without Universal, since they still own the Jack Pierce makeup designs. Karloff estate could release figures from Thriller or even The Body Snatcher I would guess though.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

It is from the Lugosi estate, that's how you get Bela's likeness.
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Confessional
                      Maker & Whatnot
                      • Aug 8, 2012

F–YEAH! Now it's on… Go Monster!

Comment

• cjefferys
                        Duke of Gloat
                        • Apr 23, 2006

Awesome figure! And as people have been saying, this looks to be licensed from the Lugosi estate only. Karloff Frankenstein would require permission from both the Karloff estate and Universal, because of the makeup design being owned by Universal, that's not the case with Drac. The Sideshow Draculas had permission from both, so their figures could have the outfit design and packaging reference the 1931 film.

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
                          Career Member
                          • Nov 22, 2011

Bela Lugosi is / was the one true Count Dracula. Just like Boris Karloff = Frankenstein's monster, Lon Chaney Jr = The Wolfman. My hope is Mego will be able to get all these licensed. Not an easy or inexpensive task. If they all turn out like this, They will make their money back. I know I'll buy them.
                          "May fortune favor the foolish"

Comment

• scott metzger
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by palitoy
                            It is from the Lugosi estate, that's how you get Bela's likeness.
                            Yeah, to do an actual Lugosi UM Drac you'd need approval from both the studio and the Lugosi estate. Charlee Flatt was the first to get the rights to do Lugosi's licensed visage for an action figure. Even Hasbro hadn't been able to do that when they were doing 12" UM monsters, so we got a mustachioed non-Lugosi version (Lon Chaney, I think). Not sure what exactly the minutia is with Drac, but I'm still not fully excluding some Universal involvement somewhere.
                            Last edited by scott metzger; Jul 19, '18, 12:06 PM.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                              Permanent Member
                              • May 15, 2009

I quite liked EMCE's Dracula, even though it wasn't Lugosi. I thought it was a nice representation of the character.

That said, this one will reign supreme in my collection.

Comment

• Werewolf
                                Inhuman
                                • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by scott metzger
                                But does that mean they could do, say, a Karloff Frankenstein without the Universal license?
                                Not a chance. Universal owns the Jack Pierce make up designs.
                                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎