Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spockoda
    Museum Super Collector
    • Jan 14, 2018

MASH was an odd thing to make toys out of, but I am impressed with most of the character likenesses from the pics posted here. So was The Love Boat, though.

Comment

• Makernaut
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by spockoda
      MASH was an odd thing to make toys out of, but I am impressed with most of the character likenesses from the pics posted here. So was The Love Boat, though.
      M*A*S*H* got a lot funnier when I reached my 30s. Some of the humor was rooted in references that even pre-dated the time-frame in which the show was set. So you have a 70s/80s show set in the early 50s, that's making commentary and drawing parallels to the times in which it aired, with incidental riffs on popular culture that might have been relevant in the 30s/40s. You gotta be around for a bit and gain a little knowledge to start making sense of the layers that were involved. So, yeah, zero desire for those toys as a kid although I love, still watch, and deeply appreciate the show, now.
      Last edited by Makernaut; Jul 18, '18, 6:57 PM.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Hedji
        When I was just a wee tot, I was totally afraid of Mego Dracula.
        But Andy, he's all "Groovy Ghoulies." For me, the Mego Mummy was the creepy one. Now, it's my favorite Mad Monster sculpt.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

We didn't have the Mummy, but if we did, he would've been banished with Drac to the "Nope Corner" of the room.

Comment

• LordMudd
            Persistent Member
            • Aug 22, 2011

He man, and I have never made a secret of it.

CCC.

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

Back in my grammar school days we all did a pick a name out of a hat gift exchange for Christmas.... I was in like 5th-ish grade.

My gift (I received) was a model kit of a "Ring Necked Pheasant"

To this day I still scratch my head thinking --- why would anybody buy this --- and --- why would a model kit company even MAKE THIS ?

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
                Career Member
                • Nov 22, 2011

I hated my sisters thumbelina and Barbie dolls. still not a fan. However, I did out grow the whole "girls have cooties" thing.
                "May fortune favor the foolish"

Comment

• tay666
                  Career Member
                  • Dec 27, 2008

Originally posted by Mikey
                  Back in my grammar school days we all did a pick a name out of a hat gift exchange for Christmas.... I was in like 5th-ish grade.

My gift (I received) was a model kit of a "Ring Necked Pheasant"

To this day I still scratch my head thinking --- why would anybody buy this --- and --- why would a model kit company even MAKE THIS ?
                  There was actually a whole line of model bird kits. As well as couple of mounted heads for like a tiger, buffalo, etc.
                  Educational models.
                  When I was a kid, I probably wouldn't have minded them, but wouldn't have picked them on my own. I got lots of models that I wouldn't have picked myself, but somehow I always built them. On the flip side, I also got a lot of cool kits that I didn't even know existed until I got them.

I can't think of any specific toys that I hated. But I do remember getting some Star Wars knock off items that got buried in the toy box. I do remember getting a GI Joe with kung-fu grip that got very little play. I had nothing else in that scale, so what was I gonna do with it?
                  Only other thing I can think of is when I used to get doubles of Star Wars figures. And never the ones I wanted multiples of.
                  More stormtroopers, jawas, sandpeople would have been great, but what am I gonna do with an extra princess leia, let alone 4 of them.
                  And half the time when I got figures for gifts, people would cut the carback down to fit in an envelope, which also robbed me of the proof of purchase seal to mail in for other goodies.

Comment

• acrovader
                    Career Member
                    • Jan 19, 2011

Originally posted by spockoda
                    Alan Alda action figure. Nuff said.
                    I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

• VintageJoe70
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 12, 2016

Originally posted by tay666
                      There was actually a whole line of model bird kits. As well as couple of mounted heads for like a tiger, buffalo, etc.
                      Educational models.
                      When I was a kid, I probably wouldn't have minded them, but wouldn't have picked them on my own. I got lots of models that I wouldn't have picked myself, but somehow I always built them. On the flip side, I also got a lot of cool kits that I didn't even know existed until I got them.

I can't think of any specific toys that I hated. But I do remember getting some Star Wars knock off items that got buried in the toy box. I do remember getting a GI Joe with kung-fu grip that got very little play. I had nothing else in that scale, so what was I gonna do with it?
                      Only other thing I can think of is when I used to get doubles of Star Wars figures. And never the ones I wanted multiples of.
                      More stormtroopers, jawas, sandpeople would have been great, but what am I gonna do with an extra princess leia, let alone 4 of them.
                      And half the time when I got figures for gifts, people would cut the carback down to fit in an envelope, which also robbed me of the proof of purchase seal to mail in for other goodies.
                      For me, when it came to model kits it was the crazy custom cars that came out in the 70's...George Barris and Tom Daniel type stuff....Then I got into the jacked up trucks kits in the 80's...
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/148083...57673799016342

Comment

• HardyGirl
                        Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                        • Apr 3, 2007

Not a figure, but I got a Lincoln Logs deluxe set as a kid. I tried to like it, but I got them when I was 5 and just couldn't get the hang of it, and no one in my family would help me.

Mostly, I would get 2 of the longest logs and bang on the bucket like a drum.

P.S. I like Lincoln Logs now!
                        "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                        'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                        Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                        If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡