X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Toys you secretly didn't like

What figures/toys did you get back in the day as a gift you hated but still felt obligated to say ..."OH I LOVE IT !!! THANKS SOOO MUCH !!!"

Here's one of my biggies (photo by B)

m
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

I loved my grandmother more than words can say, and I miss her every day. But when I got the box set of M*A*S*H figures instead of GI Joe RAH, I couldn't help but be disappointed. This was the same grandmother who got me the Millennium Falcon, Hoth Playset, E.T. and Raiders soundtracks on vinyl, and Captain Action from Playing Mantis! Looking back, I was foolish to get rid of the M*A*S*H figures because they were actually pretty cool.

Comment

• ODBJBG
      Permanent Member
      • May 15, 2009

A giant headed baby in a bathrobe and aging Korean war doctors... What's not to love?!

Yeah those would have been pretty terrible for a kid to get.

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

I got a Little Professor calculator from a well meaning aunt that thought I should have educational toys. But other than that I can't complain. My parents were always really good at picking out stuff they'd know I'd like.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

Hah! The Little Professor, now that toy was beloved by my whole family! I still have it. Funny.

I think the bubbles inside that display the LED are similar to a part used in making lightsaber hilt replicas.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

Honestly, mine was Mego's 12" Wonder Woman. Even at age 3 or 4, I did not want this "doll", despite liking WW and watching her on TV. What was I supposed to do with her, since this was before I had the 12" Superman and Spidey I would get later? I got her for my birthday that year, and she quickly got relegated to the toybox, and her Diana Prince coat and glasses went to my Mego 8" Superman to make him Clark Kent.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Valor
              • Aug 25, 2017

Model kits. If you were a boy who grew up in the 70's, you could be sure to get one of these at your birthday party. I don't think I assembled even one of them.

Comment

• Marvelmania
                A Ray of Sunshine
                • Jun 17, 2001

Good question but I can't think of any toys I got that I didn't like.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                  Museum Paramedic
                  • Aug 31, 2005

For me, it was probably, most, Hot Wheels and Matchbox. My dad would buy them for me because he loved Matchbox, but it was never my thing. I did like some of them, but I’m sure I always pretended to like them much more than I did.

- Ian
                  Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• glimpy
                    Loco Chango
                    • Feb 5, 2012

I remember these toys I just have a few of them
                    sigpic

Comment

• glimpy
                      Loco Chango
                      • Feb 5, 2012

Originally posted by Hedji
                      I loved my grandmother more than words can say, and I miss her every day. But when I got the box set of M*A*S*H figures instead of GI Joe RAH, I couldn't help but be disappointed. This was the same grandmother who got me the Millennium Falcon, Hoth Playset, E.T. and Raiders soundtracks on vinyl, and Captain Action from Playing Mantis! Looking back, I was foolish to get rid of the M*A*S*H figures because they were actually pretty cool.

That's a really cool story. I would love to have that Mash set but probably back in the day I would have hated it too.
                      sigpic

Comment

• glimpy
                        Loco Chango
                        • Feb 5, 2012

That I can remember, mine would have to be Mr. Mxy. They were on clearance at Kmart and my mom bought it for me. and I said; "Who in the hell is this fat guy!!" Is this the Penguins brother or something? I don't want this guy!! But I'm glad she bought it for me because I still have him till this very day! Here is a picture of the *******! ( he was originally on a card)
                        Attached Files
                        sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
                          Citizen of Gotham
                          • Nov 17, 2012

When I was just a wee tot, I was totally afraid of Mego Dracula.

Comment

• hobub
                            Ghost of a Dead Indian
                            • Jun 18, 2001

Originally posted by Hedji
                            When I was just a wee tot, I was totally afraid of Mego Dracula.
                            Same here. But Man, I loved hotwheels, matchbox and building model cars. Wow. As well as tin toys (but those were old) and western stuff. Man what I a minority around here I must be.

Comment

• spockoda
                              Museum Super Collector
                              • Jan 14, 2018

Originally posted by Marvelmania
                              Good question but I can't think of any toys I got that I didn't like.
                              Me too. I guess I was the Will Rogers of toys. Whatever I got as a gift or what not my imagination could always find a use for.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎