Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FTC Black Manta & DST Daredevil get kitbashed and modded to become WGS.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Remco Monster
    GLOWS in the Dark!
    • May 3, 2006

FTC Black Manta & DST Daredevil get kitbashed and modded to become WGS.

So I had this old WGS Black Manta custom I had made 12 years ago, and I had never been happy with it. It consisted of a Customs Lab (RIP) head and oxygen tank backpack, Doc Mego jumpsuit, CTVT body (crappy India version) and belt. The combination of these parts were pretty terrible. The head was too small, the body was too small, and the suit too big. I had also used velcro to hold the oxygen tanks on his back. UGH, it was just a very un-Megoey mess.

I really like the character Black Manta, and wanted a decent quality one that would fit in with the original WGS line. Figures Toy Co.'s Super Friends, Black Manta made the perfect base.

My biggest issue with the Super Friends figure, is that he comes with a cloth oxygen tank backpack. Lame! He also had a rubber belt, that looks nice, but had to go and his bodysuit was a dark navy blue and I wanted it black. So here is what I did to him.

Super Friends head
    CTVT body (China)
    CTVT repro Mego hands
    Super Friends bodysuit that I dyed black
    Customs Lab, oxygen tank backpack. I stripped my old gray paint job, added shoulder straps and painted the whole thing black.
    Lastly, I added a CTVT repro Mego belt

I am now really happy with him. He fits in nicely with the vintage figures, and since Super Friends is what made me a Black Manta fan, I am more than fine with the figure having both a World's Greatest Super Heroes and Super Friends vibe.

The DST Daredevil here is mostly just a real simple kit bash. The only real mod I did, was cut the bottom of the feet out of the suit. The suit was sewn/sized terribly, and was stretched so tight when on the figure, that it looked terrible, and hindered articulation. Cutting the feet out solved that problem. I then gave him CTVT boots and a belt.

These were both pretty nice figures as is, just not quite Mego enough for my liking.
    Last edited by Remco Monster; Jul 17, '18, 2:07 PM.
  • ZombieJimC
    Persistent Member
    • Mar 12, 2014

These are super! Love that Manta.

Comment

• gman
      Persistent Member
      • Sep 4, 2002

I really like the fix on Daredevil ..... Black Manta is great.... I agree Russ' Manta head looked small. Great combo with the air tank. Very nice figures!
      Don't be sorry. How would you know? You've been watching MTV all your life.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

These look sooo nice. I love them. Like right off the shelf, 1978.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TrekStar
          Trek or Treat
          • Jan 20, 2011

A daily double of fantastic work, thanks for sharing.

Comment

• megowgsh
            Customego HoF Curator
            • Nov 19, 2003

Your customs are crisp and clean. Just how they should be. Bravo!
            Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎