X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scott metzger
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 9, 2007

Mego style Doom

Finally assembled the pieces I needed for a Mego style Doom. Got the cape and tunic from Doc Mego; decided to stitch the bottom of the tunic to make it more Mego-like (trying to make hand stitches look like machine stitching). The Iron Man head came from Doc, as did the gloves. Got a silver/gray bodysuit from CTVT, as well as a brown Robin Hood belt. Actually got two of the belts, one for him and one for Maid Marion; both broke just sitting around Marion's waist. Had to borrow the belt from my Little John (whose costume, oddly enough, came from the old CTVT version, and the belt is fine), and ordered a replacement from Doc. Had a pair of knight boots on hand. Only real customizing was the gold clips for the cape. Stick on earrings for little girls have a lot of very useful, Mego scaled shapes, including this one. Painted them gold, coated them with clear nail polish, and glued them on after tacking down the cape to the tunic with a couple stitches (the gold clips cover the stitches nicely). Considering slipping on a pair of knight shoulder guards I have, but not sure he needs them.
    doom1.jpgdoom2.jpg
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

Very nice. There's a streamlined finish to yours that makes him quite Megoesque.

Comment

• scott metzger
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by hedrap
      Very nice. There's a streamlined finish to yours that makes him quite Megoesque.
      Thank you. That is really hard, too. I have the utmost respect (and envy) for the folks who make customs that look so Megoesque; it is a challenge, and so often far more than just assembling some ready made parts as I did. Doing things your own style isn't that hard, honestly; on the other hand, capturing an existing feel and style like the old Megos, something that can be hard to define definitively at times, is a definite art.

Comment

• Remco Monster
        GLOWS in the Dark!
        • May 3, 2006

Great job! Very Megoey!

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
          Often invisible
          • Jul 18, 2002

I've often wondered if Mego had made Dr Doom, would they have done a sculpted hood or a cloth hood. I usually think they would have done a sculpted hood, but this is starting to make me rethink that again. Very clean and Megoesque!! I think it looks great!
          Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• scott metzger
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
            I've often wondered if Mego had made Dr Doom, would they have done a sculpted hood or a cloth hood. I usually think they would have done a sculpted hood, but this is starting to make me rethink that again. Very clean and Megoesque!! I think it looks great!
            Given the persistent tale that the Iron Man head was re-purposed from a proposed Doom, I'm thinking the cloth hood was the way they were thinking of going.

Comment

• comicmike
              Persistent Member
              • Sep 22, 2009

Originally posted by scott metzger
              Thank you. That is really hard, too. I have the utmost respect (and envy) for the folks who make customs that look so Megoesque; it is a challenge, and so often far more than just assembling some ready made parts as I did. Doing things your own style isn't that hard, honestly; on the other hand, capturing an existing feel and style like the old Megos, something that can be hard to define definitively at times, is a definite art.
              Well put!

Comment

• ZombieJimC
                Persistent Member
                • Mar 12, 2014

I like this a lot. I have wanted a Doom figure for a long time and have seen him done many different ways. As said above, it does have an original Mego look and charm to it. Nicely done.

Comment

• Grimjohn
                  Persistent Member
                  • Feb 28, 2011

Sheer Megoesque perfection!

Given the persistent tale that the Iron Man head was re-purposed from a proposed Doom, I'm thinking the cloth hood was the way they were thinking of going.
                  I would have to agree with this, seeing your version of Dr. Doom, with what we have come to know as Mego's Iron Man head, would be consistent with Mego's method.
                  My Finished Custom Figures

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

I'm squarely in the sculpted-hood camp, but this is a nice custom.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Remco Monster
                      GLOWS in the Dark!
                      • May 3, 2006

I don’t know, hard to say. The Robin Hood figures had cloth hoods, so it’s quite possible he would have had a cloth hood. And with that thought in mind, I have decided I prefer the cloth hood approach.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

nice, and I'd rather see an official Mego just like yours, cloth hood and all.
                        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• TomStrong
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jul 22, 2011

He looks awesome! And I agree , this Doom looks so well done and has that “Mego” style.

Comment

• hedrap
                            Permanent Member
                            • Feb 10, 2009

I agree. I think it's a matter of distilling a character's aesthetic down to a few solid colors. Like your Doom's greys all match. Combine that with the uniformity of green and he a has a very simplified color pattern. Kind of like translating 2-D comic color process into 3-D plastic figure.

Even the complex patterns - Torch, Thing, Goblin, Spidey - have a simplified nature to them which makes characters such as Neptunian, Talosian and Mugato stand out so drastically as patchwork designs.

The last thing I have the time to do is customs, but your Doom, along with the recent Ghost Rider and Daredevil, are bait.

Comment

• TrekStar
                              Trek or Treat
                              • Jan 20, 2011

Nicely done and I agree that it looks very 70's style mego like.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎