X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Latch Hooking, everybody's doing it!

Inspired by Superman the movie and "rug hooking fever" (common in 1979) I did attempt to do a rug of Superman's shield when I was eight. Unfortunately, I had the patience of an eight-year-old boy.

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

My sister did a lion that hung in her room for years. I think it's still on the inside closet door of her old room!

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

I loved anything like this. Anything that was a mosaic of little bits. Melted plastic decorations, cake decorating... I used to have these tiny plastic colored pegs that would snap into a white lattice that would allow you to make pictures of the DC Heroes.

Comment

• Remco Monster
        GLOWS in the Dark!
        • May 3, 2006

I have the Batman and Spider-Man ones hanging in one of my toy rooms. My Mom made them for me and my brother when we were kids.

Comment

• Makernaut
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 22, 2015

The 70s seemed to be a decade of arts and crafts. Heard the terms "Decoupage" and "Macrame" a lot during those years. Lots of string art, too.

Comment

• comicmike
            Persistent Member
            • Sep 22, 2009

Haha...I tried doing a large one of Disney's Pluto when I was a kid. My Mom finished it for me....man, so much work!

Comment

• VintageJoe70
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 12, 2016

Wow, my mom tried to get my sister and I into latch hooking...That didn't take off, but my sis did get into I think it's called needle point or cross stitch, I can't remember...She got really good with that....
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/148083...57673799016342

Comment

• Makernaut
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by VintageJoe70
                Wow, my mom tried to get my sister and I into latch hooking...That didn't take off, but my sis did get into I think it's called needle point or cross stitch, I can't remember...She got really good with that....
                Cross-stitch and Counted Cross-stitch. Gawd, I heard those terms to no end, too. Hobby Lobby started in OKC so my Mom was dragging my poor little sister and me (to the original store and the second, much larger location) way back when. Thank goodness they had a huuuuuuuge wing with model trains, rockets, model kits (car and military), and toy soldiers or I would have gone bonkers. Their stores today have one aisle but back then, they had an entire wing of model goodness.
                Last edited by Makernaut; Jul 18, '18, 7:14 PM.

Comment

• VintageJoe70
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 12, 2016

Originally posted by Makernaut
                  Cross-stitch and Counted Cross-stitch. Gawd, I heard those terms to no end, too. Hobby Lobby started in OKC so my Mom was dragging my poor little sister and me (to the original store and the second, much larger location) way back when. Thank goodness they had a huuuuuuuge wing with model trains, rockets, model kits (car and military), and toy soldiers or I would have gone bonkers. Their stores today have one aisle but back then, they had an entire wing of model goodness.
                  lol....yea, model kits were a big thing back 20 - 30 yrs ago...You could find em almost anywhere...Even a grocery store...lol...But like all the good stuff from back then, they've taken a back seat to video games and electronics...
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/148083...57673799016342

Comment

• msenger76
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 3, 2009

sadly, i've been looking at these on ebay lately. trying to convince myself, "if i find a cheap hulk, i'm gonna get it"

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎