X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Megotastrophe
    Permanent Member
    • Jun 29, 2018

Who Could Play With Whom?

Just had a discussion on the Facebook group and was wondering if anybody else was in a similar boat.
    Growing up in the Mego era, I did not have a huge amount of toys. Well I had a bit from several different lines. In the 12" scale i had Land Adventurer 6M$M and Pulsar and a scattering of Loose Johnny West. Those were the Joes. One Irwin motorcycle and sidecar and the Bionic Rocket were their vehicles. Oh and a green AMC Pacer from Gay toys that i cut out the firewall so they could sit down.
    In the Mego scale I had Batman and Robin, Dr McCoy, Naked Spock, Action Jackson, the green headed robot from Star team, the Batmobile and the Wayne foundation. Those were the Batmans. Joes and Batmans didnt mix. The Shogun Warrior GaiKing would be the ultimate villain for either group.
    I did have the Comic Action Heroes Batmobile set but no other small scale figures so that really didn't get a lot of play. By the time the small figures were king, it had been decided that I wouldn't be getting any more action figures.
    My brother had a few figures. he had the Air Adventurer and Mike Powers, and Superman and Aquaman and a handful o f the Imperial bendable robots and the Imperial Monsters.
    We had very strict rules about which figures could play together. maybe we were weird IDK. Steve and Pulsar were taller than Joe but that was ok. It was just how it was.
  • tmthor
    God of Knock-offs
    • Nov 29, 2005

All 3 1/4" inch could be played with together in my days......we even used the Visionaries and Inhumanoids with GI Joe. The Visionaries were aliens so they could be taller and the Inhumanoid humans heads were in scale with Gi Joe so they became over sized power armor (which in reality they were)

Comment

• acrovader
      Career Member
      • Jan 19, 2011

Originally posted by tmthor
      All 3 1/4" inch could be played with together in my days......we even used the Visionaries and Inhumanoids with GI Joe. The Visionaries were aliens so they could be taller and the Inhumanoid humans heads were in scale with Gi Joe so they became over sized power armor (which in reality they were)
      Yeah, just about any of the 3.75"-ish figures from the 1970s-1980s worked for me.
      I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

• cjefferys
        Duke of Gloat
        • Apr 23, 2006

Usually I would keep the scales separate, but sometimes we would do a battle royale, with every figure no matter what size were divided into two teams. Each side got a Shogun Warrior to keep it fair. Those were fun battles!

Comment

• Makernaut
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 22, 2015

Strict adherence to scale, but I mixed Star Wars, Black Hole, Buck Rogers, Micronauts, etc. together and GI JOE, Johnny West, 6MDM, etc. together and all Mego and Mego-like together. Lone Ranger was on his own as well it should have been.

Comment

• Neutron X
            Persistent Member
            • Dec 22, 2007

For me I had Gijoes, Lone Ranger, Six Million Dollar Man and Big Jims All played with together. My Mego type 1 Superman was sometimes a Robot and fought my AHI Mummy. For some reason with my Gijoe hard hands figure I would remove clothes and head and he would be a robot for Big Jim's Rescue missions. I didn't really have most them all at the same time so play evolved as the toy collection grew. Many would break and go out of rotation too.

Comment

• Falstaff13
              Persistent Member
              • May 28, 2008

I was born in 1975, so my toy experience is far more '80s than '70s. I put the Gabriel Lone Ranger and the 9" Legends of the West together. All 3 3/4" were generally mixed, and then I decided to include them with Masters of the Universe. Using the logic that He-Man was from another planet, I figured the people of Eternia were larger than others, so my play made Eternia the battle location and combined MOTU and other 5" lines in that scale with everything else I had (Super Powers, the Empire Legends of the West, Indiana Jones, LJN's AD&D, plus the assorted and singleton GI Joe, Star Wars, and such). I did keep the 6" A-Team separate and, late in my toy days as a kid, got Bravestarr, who ended up by himself because of scale.
              Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
              Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Klosterheim
                Persistent Member
                • Mar 23, 2013

With the 3.75, I could mix in some Marx accessories, such as the ax in a tree stump, or even they yellow Marx rifle rack. I gave Dengar a sword by using a rivet from a rivet gun, used to use his card bubble as a stasis bubble as well.

Mixed in some Bionic 6 with the popular 3.75" toys.

A couple Remco Enemy figures were good.

A small pinball machine that turned into a robot.

Used 1979 Star Trek The Motion Picture Bridge chairs for G.I. Joe ARAH.

The list is near endless.

A metal cannon toy fit with them.

One of the best things, for 3.75" action figures, was a set of homemade Lincoln Logs style pine logs. I made a nice building with planks at the top, and in it's center was a pit, where the figures could stand on the top platform and fall into the square pit. Like the old arcade machine where two knights had a sword fight over a bottomless pit.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

If the scale was close enough, I would mix them together. Like I used some 3.75" Joes as new teen heroes in my Super Powers play. That's why they were shorter. I think I even threw in a Transformer or two, and just never turned them into vehicles.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
                    Career Member
                    • Nov 22, 2011

I'm old. When i was a kid. I had megos, GI Joe and Big Jim. That was it for figures. I had most DC, Trek and Marvel Mego figures. I made all kinds of playsets both in and out doors for my megos to have all their adventures. I also had the Mego Enterprise and Batcave playsets. My best friend Tom wasn't into figures so he didn't want to play with them. He was a Tonka kid. Man, Did I have fun. My youngest sister who was 2 years older than me would play with me. She always liked my female figures. Uhura, Wonder Woman, Isis, Batgirl, Catwoman, Supergirl and others. My Dad wasn't too cool with me having female figures. I do remember that. He refused to buy them for me. My Mom would have to get those and kind of sneak them to me. Dad would be like "Did you get another girl doll?" I was like "naw, I've had this one you probably don't remember it" Then I'd get the look.

Never understood why until I got older and realized he consider that and my special effects makeup hobby as feminine. So I played with female figures and FX makeup and I grew up just fine. Got married, had a couple of kids and I didn't care what they played with as long as it wasn't poison or satanic.
                    I miss my pop but he was old school for sure.
                    "May fortune favor the foolish"

Comment

• TrekStar
                      Trek or Treat
                      • Jan 20, 2011

My a Dad wasn't very thrilled that I played with megos, I had to remind him that it wasn't a doll,
                      its an ACTION FIGURE damn it, besides I didn't buy any of the female figures, although I did want Lt. Uhura
                      since she was the only one I needed to complete my Trek collection.
                      Last edited by TrekStar; Jul 18, '18, 8:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎