• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cornelius POTA
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2011

New Mego TARGET Reissue Questions / Marty

OK, lets talk new Mego facts here...

I start this thread to get everyone's opinion on the NEW Mego release on 7/29 and also help Marty Abrams future MEGO ideas.

1. ) What do you think the average age will be that buys?

2. ) Back in the day MEGO Corp advertised on NBC and various outlets. How will the current MEGO team get the word out ? Advertising ?

3. ) Will TARGET get behind MEGO Corp and do a advertising campaign on social media / TV commercials or lets say NBC, ESPN, etc ?

4. ) At $15 - $22 a pop, how much would you be willing to invest, and your expected return either as a collector or a re-seller ?

These are just a few Q & A I have.

Any input would be welcome.

I love MEGO and have a very huge collection dating back to the 1970's

I'm 56 years old and my name is ?

Corny

Mego POTA

Cornelius POTA sigpic MEGO of the Planet Of The Apes :ape:
    :smiley13: Cornelius is home.
    I'm in a groove and on the move collecting Mego POTA figures. PM me anytime.
  • Liu Bei
    Banned
    • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by Cornelius POTA
    OK, lets talk new Mego facts here...

I start this thread to get everyone's opinion on the NEW Mego release on 7/29 and also help Marty Abrams future MEGO ideas.

2. ) Back in the day MEGO Corp advertised on NBC and various outlets. How will the current MEGO team get the word out ? Advertising ?

3. ) Will TARGET get behind MEGO Corp and do a advertising campaign on social media / TV commercials or lets say NBC, ESPN, etc ?

4. ) At $15 - $22 a pop, how much would you be willing to invest, and your expected return either as a collector or a re-seller ?

These are just a few Q & A I have.

Any input would be welcome.

I love MEGO and have a very huge collection dating back to the 1970's

I'm 56 years old and my name is ?

Corny

Mego POTA

The average buyer will be an adult collector.

The best advertising will be word-of-mouth and internet. The internet sites they should advertise on are large vintage sites like this one, as well as dedicated toy sites like figures.com and toyark. Word of mouth can be boosted by sending well-known youtubers like Toy Polloi and Retroblasters some of the products for review.

I don't think you can count on Target to do the heavy lifting. Advertising on traditional media is expensive and largely useless. Netflix's "The Toys That Made Us" is already the best advertising Mego could get. Re-releasing Mego in conjunction with Marty's appearance will pay dividends, and is/was/would've been the most brilliant that could have been done, either by design or by serendipity.

$14.99 is extremely reasonable and I will buy all that I want, but they cannot and should not charge one penny more. The line will be on life-support the moment that happens.

Hope that helps.

P.S. I would recommend vintage-style blister cards for any vintage-style re-releases. Retro is huge right now, and what Mego is hoping to tap into it. If you are going in that direction, go all the way. You'll move more product with a vintage aesthetic.
    Last edited by Liu Bei; Jul 14, '18, 11:33 AM.

Comment

• tmthor
      God of Knock-offs
      • Nov 29, 2005

What if Mego were to advertise on channels like METV especially during scifi saturday? And on Cozi?

Comment

• EatTheseCrackersAgain
        • May 16, 2014

I've been looking for clarification and cannot find the official answer anywhere but may have missed it; will the new MEGO revisit all of the Trek line? While I appreciate Sulu, Romulan and the Gorn, I don't think I would jump into this line unless one can assemble the whole crew. I don't have any '70's Mego originals OR any of the Diamond EMCE figures so I'd love to have everyone, brand new, made by Mego themselves.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
          Eloquent Member
          • Jan 19, 2008

I don't think they will make all the old Trek figures, but I'd buy them if they did.

Comment

• dr_cyclops
            One eyed, wonder
            • Dec 17, 2009

Any and all Star Trek Original Mego would sell today. New figures not excluded. From villains to extras, this line should continue.

Comment

• spockoda
              Museum Super Collector
              • Jan 14, 2018

If they are built like Emce or Neca stuff I might be interested in some of these. If they're built like FTC and Bif Bang Pow stuff I'll likely pass. That is why I would have to see these "in the flesh" before making a determination. The nearest Target store(s) are a two hour round trip drive from me personally so that could be a hurdle for more than one reason. At least $14.99 each is better than the $25-$30 price tag of most of the previous 8 inch Mego-like figures regardless of the company.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

^Emce and BBP use DM bodies. Those bodies have had molding and rigging changes over the years. FTC and Neca are other things entirely.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Boywonder0
                  Persistent Member
                  • Dec 29, 2007

Originally posted by spockoda
                  At least $14.99 each is better than the $25-$30 price tag of most of the previous 8 inch Mego-like figures regardless of the company.
                  I bet you that the $14.99 price tag won't pass from being a promo...

Comment

• KOMonger
                    Banned
                    • Feb 17, 2015

Adult collectors of all ages, 20s thru 60s (?).

With 10,000 pcs per 8" character, I think the most feasible "advertising" is via Youtube. Some youtubers that come to my mind are The Fwoosh, thereviewspot and Toy Polloi. The former two both feature new-release news. The Fwoosh announces all the new stuff coming down the pipeline as well as does reviews of items new to his collection. thereviewspot mostly covers new stuff he's obtained in-hand. Toy Polloi, who has also covered Mego WGSH and Microman, is primarily about repairing vintage toys. He does do reviews of his personal collection as well, so this could still be advantageous. And then there's Count Stankus, another huge Mego fan, who has already posted news about all this as I write this!

I feel the most Target could be expected to do is to feature the figures in their weekly ad/s. Exclusives rarely get promoted outside of store circulars.

I am not scum. Seriously though, there are no guarantees for investing so my logical brain never plays that game. On the other hand, if fellow collectors needed help finding certain figures in their area (assuming online was sold out), I would like to think other fellow collectors would willingly seek them out in the wild for tradesies.

Comment

• scott metzger
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by tmthor
                      What if Mego were to advertise on channels like METV especially during scifi saturday? And on Cozi?
                      This is not a bad idea. FTC got some mileage out of actually having figures on the site's store and doing a Svengoolie figure. Might still be above the advertising budget to actually put an ad up, but if old Sven could have some of them lying around during the movies. might even be chances to cross-pollinate. Not sure if Me_TV shows Jeannie, but, if they did, Mego might be able to wangle a deal. Me-TV gives the Jeannie set a plug when they show the program, and Mego puts a blurb on all the Jeannie packages, "Watch Jeannie on Me-TV!"

Advertising is going to be minimal, probably limited to the web and Target ads. A big pic in the weekly Target ad when they first come out would do some good. Other than that, I think Mego will be relying on what Hasbro and everyone else relies on for most of their advertising: the property itself. For things like Trek and Charmed, there's new shows connected to them. Older stuff will have to rely on nostalgia and the web to spread the word. Target posting through Facebook and such is part of why they have a presence there. As I've said, 15 bucks put's the line right at the borderline for some potential kids sales. but this is an adult collector's line, and that's the market they'll really need to tap.

The final question is the conundrum for me. I'll definitely be getting a lot of the figures because, well, they're Megos. I'm not a huge Jeannie fan, but I have some fond feelings toward it and the set is very well done. Stuff like Cheers holds no interest for me as a property, and the body problems I mentioned in another thread will likely trim my potential purchases with such figures a good bit. 15 bucks for a usable body and head for custom fodder is a price I can pay with a smile, and I would easily get at least a full set of Cheers if I thought the heads were usable for something (I can think of a Kelsey Grammer Beast and Kirstie Alley Saavik right off). For me, a regular, human Mego head is pure custom gold, and the thought of brand new ones makes me giddy. But 15 bucks for a usable head and a body I likely can't do anything with is more problematic. Now, if charmed is indeed one of the properties and we get good, new heads for each of the Halliwells, that's going to be hard to pass on for multiple purchases. A brand new, usable Mego female headsculpt is something I hoped to be getting from FTC, but so far that has not happened, and the two sculpts I've seen close so far for Mego look terrific. But the EMCE female body has its own issues (truncated torso, male-like pins in the hips), and that means their use to me is limited beyond the initial figures themselves. Now, there are some duplicates that still have use; Trek figures can get a new head and add generic crew members as cannon fodder for evil aliens. If Mego gets PotA back, the same goes there; switching and repainting heads can give you a whole city of apes. So the value to me could be astronomical, but the reality right now is that the value is good, but sadly more limited than I had hoped, at least for now.
                      Last edited by scott metzger; Jul 16, '18, 9:38 AM.

Comment

• Brue
                        User without title
                        • Sep 29, 2005

the price is MORE than reasonable.

today's 4 to 6 inch plastic figures are $10 and up.

8" cloth outfitted figures were $15 to $20 twenty years ago. that is ZERO for inflation.

at that price, you will see kids get them as well as adults for figures that have current appeal (harley quinn).
                        the current appeal is what will keep these an adult collector figure for many figures (Jeanie).

Comment

• cdhall
                          Persistent Member
                          • Aug 14, 2004

Genius

Now I’ll buy one of each female to commission them on the Enterprise, but
                          Originally posted by scott metzger
                          ...Kirstie Alley Saavik right off...
                          Genius. Thanks!
                          —-
                          “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Message, Spock?”
                          - Admiral Kirk

"...surely, the best of times."
                          - Captain Spock
                          https://youtu.be/tOtKcJtahKQ

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍