X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Pod Stallions 64: DUNE

Hell hath frozen over, we're doing the Dune show.

Long joked about as a "never gonna happen", the Dune show became our #1 listener requested episode and well, give the folks some spice!

We've brought in our pal and uber fan David Weiner of the awesome It came from Blog to join us and discuss not only the film but the book series.

David and Jason carefully explain why they love the film to Brian, who isn't quite taking the spice if you know what i mean.

Along the way we talk about the director, the cast, the upcoming remake, the TV mini-series, Saturn 3, the horribly misguided attempt to sell Dune products to children and Yor the Hunter from the Future frisbees (seriously).

It's actually one of our best shows ever, who'da thunk it?

Please join us on the Pod Stallions Facebook page and let us know what you think!
    give us spirited debate on our facebook wall.

Plenty more content on the PodStallions Facebook page!

PODSTALLIONS ON ITUNES
    PODSTALLIONS RSS FEED

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Iron Mego
    Wake Up Heavy
    • Jan 31, 2010

I've said it multiple times here, and any where else someone will listen, but I love me some Dune. Liked it when I saw it in the theater, and like it still to this day.

Gonna give it a listen tomorrow.
    Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Bruce Banner
      HULK SMASH!
      • Apr 3, 2010

Lynch's Dune is a hugely ambitious, sumptuous, flawed masterpiece. Inspired casting, without a doubt.

I urge anyone who hasn't read the first Frank Herbert Dune novel to do so. The original book is a masterwork of SF.
      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• sprytel
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 26, 2009

I'm only half way through the podcast, but I love that you guys did a Dune episode. I have a spot spot in my heart for that movie...

Tech support question: Brian's vocals seem much quieter than Jason's the past few episodes (and this episode, quieter than David's as well). When I'm in my car, I seem to struggle to find that sweet spot where Jason is not too loud, yet Brian isn't drowned out by traffic noise. Have others noticed the same thing, or is it something with my audio?

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Usually a use a modulator to even us out but that my initial checks sounded good so I passed on doing it. My bad.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• sprytel
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 26, 2009

No worries. The discussions on the podcast are great! If I have to fiddle with the volume a little every now and again, I'm not complaining...

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

They finally did it.

You maniacs!!!!

Can't wait to listen.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

The novel and movie have some really gross and deeply unpleasant visuals. Not to mention the whole thing is about a drug addicted society fighting a war over control of the drug. I am still absolutely amazed they thought it was a good idea to market this movie to little kids as the next Star Wars. They had action figures, coloring books, storybooks, View Master reels, trading cards, etc. The mind boggles.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Werewolf
                  The novel and movie have some really gross and deeply unpleasant visuals. Not to mention the whole thing is about a drug addicted society fighting a war over control of the drug. I am still absolutely amazed they thought it was a good idea to market this movie to little kids as the next Star Wars. They had action figures, coloring books, storybooks, View Master reels, trading cards, etc. The mind boggles.
                  Oh that's pretty much an obsession of mine and I explain that in my podcast. I'd love to have been sitting next to the LJN executives who put it on the line for this movie as they watched it for the first time.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                    I'd love to have been sitting next to the LJN executives who put it on the line for this movie as they watched it for the first time.
                    I'm actually kind of surprised (and relieved) LJN didn't make a plush version of that poor cat that came with the Sting figure. I wouldn't have put it past them. The very idea of a kid's toy line for that movie is pretty twisted.
                    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Falstaff13
                      Persistent Member
                      • May 28, 2008

I've always known of Dune and even read the first three novels, but I've never been that big a fan of Dune. That said, I loved the podcast--thought it was yet another great listen.
                      Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
                      Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• sprytel
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 26, 2009

I'm starting the campaign for a Dune Part 2 episode right now!

Comment

• Makernaut
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jul 22, 2015

Good timing on this. I haven't noticed "Dune" playing on television in years and BBC America has been airing it recently.

Comment

• Redmiller
                            • Jun 19, 2018

Love DUNE the movie, the books

Its funny, just last night my wife and I watched DUNE on TV, I have DISH, dont remember which station it was on.
                            She had never seen it, and thought all the Harkonnen Parts were GROSS!!! lol

Comment

• Hedji
                              Citizen of Gotham
                              • Nov 17, 2012

Just finished listening.

Loved it.

And now I have my Blu Ray and DVD of the Extended Cut (No Japanese laser disc, sorry! ) off the shelf and ready to revisit.

I think it's time someone customizes some AHI style Dune Parachutists.

One of the licenses that really helped me come to terms with embracing the film at age 13 was the Fleer trading cards. (Topps must've been like, "ummmm... nope!"). The cards were like flash cards to supplement the infamous glossary. I have to say, that although there was an attempt to market it to kids following the Star Wars paradigm, it didn't have the reach and depth of merchandise. I don't remember seeing the toys on shelves alongside Super Powers, GI Joe RAH, and the remaining ROTJ figures from Kenner. Their scale was different, the bodies awkward, and LJN was not a familiar brand name.

I remember seeing the film by myself Christmas of '84, and walking out uncertain if I had liked it or not. I felt it was a bit above my head, but there still were elements I enjoyed. Coming home with the program, glossary, trading cards, and Marvel comic helped me to cement my opinion - that it was epic, big, confusing, and flawed, yet still had elements of value, was visually impressive, and seemed to me a window to the world of "adult" sci fi, alongside ALIEN, Terminator (which I hadn't yet seen) and Road Warrior. I liked it, but then, I was (and still am) sort of undemanding of my movies. I don't ever remember walking out of a movie actively disliking anything as a kid, so I wasn't to discerning.

Suffice it to say, there were enough elements of Dune to spark my imagination and make me want to spend time with the comic, cards, etc. I still like it, but look forward to another interpretation. I think you guys are spot on that they need to simplify the story and make it more commercial, while still remaining true to the root story.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎