Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Mego Licenses Announced! Firefly, Charmed and Wizard of Oz coming soon!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Werewolf
    It's not just the Reaction stuff. Funko's Game of Thrones and Firefly Legacy figures, which had very well done modern sculpts and articulation, moved slowly even on heavy discount. Even as popular as the shows are their figures didn't really move. Unlike the Funko Golden Girls figures which sold crazy good and are worth a ton on the secondary market, go figure.
    I saw only one character on heavy discount here (we get all of Funko's bombs in dollarama).

I'm not going to be gloomy about this and predict failure, it's a really cool thing that's happening.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by tmthor
      I think it has a lot to do with the fact that though many people watched the shows .....don't always collect figures.
      My sister loves Firefly. Watched the show religiously and owns the entire series on DVD. She has zero Firefly merchandise even though she collects toys.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
        I'm not going to be gloomy about this and predict failure, it's a really cool thing that's happening.
        I don't mean to be gloomy and I think the majority of licenses will be a huge success. I just think some choices like, Cheers or Firefly, won't be as strong of sellers as other.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Wizard of Oz? WIZARD OF OZ!? WOZ!!!?? Crikey, someone slap me, I'm in heaven.

Thanks, Marty.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
            Often invisible
            • Jul 18, 2002

I don't mean to be gloomy and I think the majority of licenses will be a huge success. I just think some choices like, Cheers or Firefly, won't be as strong of sellers as other.
            Cheers is going to be awesome! I'm still just sayin'....
            Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• scott metzger
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 9, 2007

Is there some doubt now about the SyFy story? Something about Paul leaving a comment on the story questioning it?

Comment

• scott metzger
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 9, 2007

It's not just the Reaction stuff. Funko's Game of Thrones and Firefly Legacy figures, which had very well done modern sculpts and articulation, moved slowly even on heavy discount. Even as popular as the shows are their figures didn't really move. Unlike the Funko Golden Girls figures which sold crazy good and are worth a ton on the secondary market, go figure.
                A lot of that may have been that, while well sculpted, the figures were not well made. The Magic the Gathering figures got a bad and deserved rep for poor quality control, and I don't know if Funko's later lines showed any marked improvement. A bad rep spreads fast among collectors, and I never recall hearing people ranting about how their 6" lines had improved. Golden Girls were a different kind of figure with a good QC track record, and were a lot cheaper, to boot.

Comment

• tmthor
                  God of Knock-offs
                  • Nov 29, 2005

Originally posted by palitoy
                  I saw only one character on heavy discount here (we get all of Funko's bombs in dollarama).

I agree we should wait it out and see what happens they could be a run away hit with people kicking themselves because they passed on it when they first saw them.

Comment

• sprytel
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 26, 2009

1. Firefly is awesome.
                    2. Even though it is not a show to the Mego era, I think Firefly's fan base might really respond to Mego figures. Sometimes it is about finding the right format for the property (and executing on it, of course).
                    3. Did you see that "I Dream of Jeanie" packaging!?!? Clever, collector-friendly packaging could go along way to selling some of these properties.
                    4. If other people don't want these, then: Awesome, more for me!

Comment

• Klosterheim
                      Persistent Member
                      • Mar 23, 2013

I think these will be amazing.

DC Legends of Tomorrow would be a great choice.

I'd like them to get a license for Highlander: The Series. I just realized that I want a Methos Mego along with a few other Immortals.

Comment

• The Bat
                        Batman Fanatic
                        • Jul 14, 2002

If they do Kristie Alley on Cheers...the sculpt could then be re-used do Lt. Savik from Star Trek:WOK!!!!!!!!
                        sigpic

Comment

• ribefex
                          Museum Patron
                          • Dec 19, 2008

I am very happy for the news of Wizard of Oz. I hope they make the Flying Monkeys and the Guards. If they have the same quality of the original Mego ones, they can be a great sales success - as can be seen by the great reception here.
                          In relation to the Munchkins, I would prefer that they do them in true Mego style, with the child body (which EMCE already has of its excellent Twilight Zone line).
                          And, in relation to the seven main characters, I would like if they improve the head of the Cowardly Lion, the only one that I think has not the same level of likeness. At least I hope they reverse his face-hair paint scheme.
                          Oh, as JediJaida said, it would be great if they improve the Witch's shoes, or put her socks on.
                          In any case, I´m very grateful for making them again!

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                            Muddling through
                            • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
                            Is Firefly an older series or is it current? I hadn't heard of it until today...then again, I'm the kind who tends to live in the past.

- Ian
                            Firefly is an American space Western drama television series which ran from 2002–2003, created by writer and director Joss Whedon, under his Mutant Enemy Productions label. Whedon served as an executive producer, along with Tim Minear. The series is set in the year 2517, after the arrival of humans in a new star system and follows the adventures of the renegade crew of Serenity, a "Firefly-class" spaceship. The ensemble cast portrays the nine characters who live on Serenity. Whedon pitched the show as "nine people looking into the blackness of space and seeing nine different things".[1]

The show explores the lives of a group of people, some of whom fought on the losing side of a civil war, who make a living on the fringes of society as part of the pioneer culture of their star system. In this future, the only two surviving superpowers, the United States and China, fused to form the central federal government, called the Alliance, resulting in the fusion of the two cultures. According to Whedon's vision, "nothing will change in the future: technology will advance, but we will still have the same political, moral, and ethical problems as today".[2]

Firefly premiered in the U.S. on the Fox network on September 20, 2002. By mid-December, Firefly had averaged 4.7 million viewers per episode and was 98th in Nielsen ratings.[3] It was canceled after eleven of the fourteen produced episodes were aired. Despite the relatively short life span of the series, it received strong sales when it was released on DVD and has large fan support campaigns.[4][5] It won a Primetime Emmy Award in 2003 for Outstanding Special Visual Effects for a Series. TV Guide ranked the series at No. 5 on their 2013 list of 60 shows that were "Cancelled Too Soon".[6]

The post-airing success of the show led Whedon and Universal Pictures to produce Serenity, a 2005 film which continues from the story of the series,[4] and the Firefly franchise expanded to other media, including comics and a role-playing game.[7][8]

the story was continued in the movie Serenity, which was actually my introduction to the show. it's a great show, mix of western and sci fi, great characters and cast. you should give it a shot

Comment

• glimpy
                              Loco Chango
                              • Feb 5, 2012

this should be very interesting
                              sigpic

Comment

• marcia29
                                • Jul 13, 2018

Firefly was a great show, and to see Mego grab this license is heartening. Maybe it will help generate interest in this show which was gone way too son.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎