Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

7 years in the making! My most wanted Mego ever, Ghost Rider!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Remco Monster
    GLOWS in the Dark!
    • May 3, 2006

7 years in the making! My most wanted Mego ever, Ghost Rider!

That title isn't click bait, it really did take seven years to finish this custom. My goal was to make a Ghost Rider figure that looked like it was made by Mego in the 1970s, as close as I possibly could. I am very happy with the results.

1976, JCPenny Christmas Catalog photo.

There was no Mego figure I wanted more as a kid, or an adult for that matter, than Ghost Rider. I had been wanting to make one for a long time, and decided I needed a printed suit, so contacted Austin (megowgsh) and commissioned a suit, which turned out awesome. That was seven freakin' years ago!

Then came the problem of the head, which is the reason this took me so long to finish. I was never happy with the heads I planned to use. I first sculpted one, and cast it, and decided I wasn't happy. I then bought a more modern style one on eBay and began modifying it to look more vintage, but ultimately decided I wasn't happy with that one either. I did like the CTVTs skull head, but there were issues that kept making me overlook it. I didn't like that it had fangs, and figured if I tried cutting them off, it would just make a hole in the super soft vinyl head. The vinyl also posed the problem that it would be difficult to sculpt flames onto. I did like some of the customs I had seen using the modern Marvel Legends flames, but that just wasn't vintage enough for me. I just don't see Mego doing that in the 70s. So the figure ended up in constant limbo.

Three years ago I was determined to finally get this figure done. I then also decided I was going to make his motorcycle. I bought a beater CHiPs bike, painted it red, and made some stickers for it. I then contacted Anthony (Toyroom) to purchase a Ghost Rider figure box, and also to commission a Ghost Rider motorcycle box. I gave him a few suggestions of what I wanted, and he knocked it out of the park! I was really psyched when it arrived. So, BAM, the Ghost Rider motorcycle was done. I was still not happy with the head situation though, and again the custom GR figure ended up in limbo, and I never shared the motorcycle, because I looked at it as a package set. Wasn't going to share one, without the other.

Then, a couple weeks ago, I decided to look for a different head, or idea for one. I had one of those CTVTs skeleton figures, and figured I would try cutting out the fangs and see if it would work, and how it would look. After all, I could get another skeleton head for $2 if I ruined it. Well, the fangs cut away, and it looked great once I repainted the mouth. I then came across a Ghost Rider custom that Paul (LaserMego) had made (back in 2014) that used some yellow vinyl flames that he made. I loved the look and thought it looked VERY vintage and was the best vintage Mego GR flames I had seen by far. So I contacted him to see if he had one available. I also asked if he could make an orange flame a bit smaller, so I could use both and get more of a GR flame effect, and HE DID! I finally had my GR head and flames!!!!

Then it was a matter of his collar and hands. I fabricated his collar out of material cut from a CTVT cape, and painted his hands. The rest of the recipe is a vintage Mego body and CTVT boots.

Whew, that was long, but I had to tell the story and give credit, where credit is due. I hope you like the custom!

Again, big thanks to these Mego Museum custom legends, for without whom I could not have gotten the perfect Mego Ghost Rider I have wanted all my life.

megowgsh
    The Toyroom
    pmwasson

You guys are the best!
    Last edited by Remco Monster; Jul 11, '18, 3:49 PM.
  • Brown Bear
    Still Old School
    • Feb 14, 2008

In a word: Perfect! I don’t honk Mego would have done it any different.
    Awesome all around.
    Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

That is absolutely incredible. A true work of toy art...kudos to all involved and congratulations on realizing your dream.

Comment

• Grimjohn
        Persistent Member
        • Feb 28, 2011

You had me at Ghost Rider custom...I always love seeing Ghost Rider customs.

Very much what Mego would have done with the character, fantastic job by all involved. In fact, you've inspired me to make a set for myself.
        My Finished Custom Figures

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

It's fantastic, congratulations. You made some very good decisions to achieve the look you wanted. It's perfectly Megoesque, and that's my greatest compliment here. COTW, surely.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• supes
            For the love of Mego's!
            • Jan 19, 2004

He and his bike are pure freaking perfection!!!!!!!! One of my favorite things I own is the Ghost Rider Rack toy from the 70's. Thank you for sharing!!

For the love of Mego's

Comment

• pmwasson
              Maker
              • Sep 12, 2007

Turned out perfect!
              sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

great job all around, just perfect.
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• noelani72
                  27inaleon
                  • Jun 25, 2002

that's pretty great. Looks legit.

Comment

• sprytel
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 26, 2009

Absolutely wonderful.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

That is pure Mego perfection! Love the figure, the box, and esp. that red cycle!!!

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• Mego Milk
                        Custom Mego Maker
                        • Jun 3, 2007

Nice and MEGOee.
                        looks cool.

Comment

• hedrap
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 10, 2009

I salute you, sir. That's Mego perfect.

I have pieces of a GH in a bag. The skeleton head fangs are bothersome. I had mashed a Cheron Trek body with Chips gloved hands. The flame I was going to use came from an old adventure toy set, (Big Jim, Lone Ranger maybe). It was the bike that stopped me. Yours looks awesome! Congrats.

Comment

• comicmike
                            Persistent Member
                            • Sep 22, 2009

Man,I really love that!

Comment

• TrekStar
                              Trek or Treat
                              • Jan 20, 2011

Very cool custom, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...