X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SpaceAgent
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 21, 2009

Those of you unfamiliar with Target: If you get a Target credit card, you are entitled to a 5% discount on everything AND free shipping.

Comment

• SpaceAgent
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 21, 2009

Originally posted by jayraytee
      Well Star Trek and the DC heroes will sell. Nobody but us knows who action jackson is. The I dream of Jeanie and Cheers stuff, not too sure about unless collectors are drooling over them. The only ones I would be interested in are the super heroes and not in that size unfortunately. The limited numbers will probably help a lot otherwise I wouldn't see them all selling. Typical Target people won't be buying them, it will be collectors hunting them down. It is a huge let down for me that no Marvel figures are coming, I might buy one action Jackson for nostalgia sake.
      Did someone say no Marvel figures? I haven't seen that.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

DC Superheroes will be 14 inches and is limited to 8,000 of each.

Wave 1 is Batman, General Zod, Wonder Woman, and Harley Quinn retailing for $19.99
        Ooh, nice! Is General Zod based on the Reeve movies or some version from the comics?

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• scott metzger
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 9, 2007

Initial thoughts:
          The distribution: Right now, with the demise of TRU, the two biggest toy retailers with the widest reach in the US, to my knowledge, are Walmart and Target. If you couldn't get Wally World, Target is a solid second. This distribution is very good, both for availability and to keep the price point down. I did not expect a figure for 15 bucks; that's half what we've been paying for FTC figures. Volume makes a huge difference, and honestly puts these figures in a range even non-collectors might take a serious look at.

The properties: Trek is very solid. Diamond had some problems and had to stop the 8" figures, but Diamond didn't have a major retail presence to stoke interest, and Diamond has problems finishing/continuing things a lot. Most Target shoppers never even knew the Diamond line existed. Discovery, whatever you think of the series, has rekindled interest in more classic Trek. The DC figures should do well (I do sense some licensing problems in the "limited to 8000" part), and I'm figuring this means that, if FTC loses the DC 8" license, Mego will have an easy time getting it with their foot already in the door. If anyone knows licensing, it's Marty. The other licenses are a mixed bag, at least for me. Brady Bunch is instantly recognizable, and I think the Jeannie two pack is another solid idea; these shows have basically never been off the air since they ran. Cheers has no interest to me, but is another TV classic, one that has had no merchandising like this I am aware of (plus a Kirstie Alley figure has a number of possibilities in it, not the least of which is Saavik). Married with Children is not as odd a choice as it seems, as this is it's second line. I just hope it's a whole new line and not anything like what we saw before (please, oh, please, no macroencephallic heads; everything I'm looking at so far looks PERFECT, proportion-wise).

The figures: As I said, I see no evidence of the bloated head problems that have plagued FTC figures so far; everything looks like a classic, proportional Mego figure. I do, unfortunately, have a slight trepidation that might be quelled if I could see better pics of the figures. Some of the newer Mego bodies we've seen have had some issues. I hope two things here: the male bodies don't have a wonky left hip that juts out, and the female bodies don't have the oddly truncated torso I've seen in some Doc related repro bodies. The recent Diamond Marvel bodies seemed fine, and if those two specific problems don't manifest, I'm going to be very happy with these.

Overall, it's a promising start. I'm hoping for maybe a couple surprises at SDCC ("and add some new characters from fan-fave shows like “The Brady Bunch,” “Cheers,” “I Dream of Jeannie” and “Married with Children.” Like. Not necessarily limited to), but there's enough here to definitely make my wallet cry. Keep in mind, just because I have no interest in the property doesn't mean I won't buy a great Mego figure based on it.

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

Wow. Target's moving deeper into the exclusives realm.

14" Wonder Woman and Harley at 20 is a great price point...I would say this a middle finger to someone, but we're all above that around here...

Comment

• Brown Bear
              Still Old School
              • Feb 14, 2008

Kneel Before Zod!!!!!

Freakin awesome!!!!!
              Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• hedrap
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 10, 2009

Looking at the announced assortment, and it appears to be a Paramount/CBS license.

I think a great option would be Galaxy Quest as Amazon has a series in production.

Comment

• Brown Bear
                  Still Old School
                  • Feb 14, 2008

What version of Zod? Mego's version reproduced?
                  Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• cjefferys
                    Duke of Gloat
                    • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by drmego
                    DC Superheroes will be 14 inches and is limited to 8,000 of each.

Wave 1 is Batman, General Zod, Wonder Woman, and Harley Quinn retailing for $19.99
                    8000 of each? Man, I'll be checking out the Targets right across the border from me, but I'll probably be competing with some Toronto toy dealers.

Love the size and price point though!

Originally posted by Brown Bear
                    What version of Zod? Mego's version reproduced?
                    Good question.

Comment

• KOMonger
                      Banned
                      • Feb 17, 2015

Originally posted by scott metzger
                      ...The other licenses are a mixed bag, at least for me. Brady Bunch is instantly recognizable, and I think the Jeannie two pack is another solid idea; these shows have basically never been off the air since they ran. Cheers has no interest to me, but is another TV classic, one that has had no merchandising like this I am aware of (plus a Kirstie Alley figure has a number of possibilities in it, not the least of which is Saavik). Married with Children is not as odd a choice as it seems, as this is it's second line. I just hope it's a whole new line and not anything like what we saw before (please, oh, please, no macroencephallic heads; everything I'm looking at so far looks PERFECT, proportion-wise).
                      I just mentioned this in another thread already, but I love my set of Married With Children from FTC. I love caricatures so that may explain it. But Mego and Mego-like figures were never about being realistically-proportioned, looking at Neca and Mezco's takes on live-action characters clearly show how stylized Megos are. They're clearly different takes on the 1/9 cloth figures for, sometimes, different collectors.

Comment

• ovenmitt
                        Persistent Member
                        • May 26, 2009

I wish MEGO could be 1st toy company to offer all 7 Gilligan' s Island castaways.

Comment

• KOMonger
                          Banned
                          • Feb 17, 2015

If they use the same head-sculpts for Married With Children I hope to at least see different clothes. Maybe redo the No Ma'am t-shirts with printed text instead of the sticker.
                          I also thought it odd that Kelly had three different outfit versions while Peggy just had the one.

As for The Brady Bunch, another complete FTC set I have, what are the chances they can finally convince Robert Reed's estate to license his likeness.

CBS/Paramount licenses, eh? I personally would buy Get Smart!, Gilligan's Island (have FTC's 8-inchers), Wild, Wild West. Grounded for Life and NewsRadio are just a couple of my favorite sitcoms of all time but don't think they would work/sell.
                          Community, on the other hand? The entire cast, of course, but variants for Troy and Abed, not to mention the dean? Easy exclusives right there!

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by KOMonger
                            If they use the same head-sculpts for Married With Children I hope to at least see different clothes. Maybe redo the No Ma'am t-shirts with printed text instead of the sticker.
                            I also thought it odd that Kelly had three different outfit versions while Peggy just had the one.

These will be Mego Corporation sculpts, while there possibly could be some crossover with EMCE products, I think there is no way they would reissue an FTC product.
                            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                              Museum Paramedic
                              • Aug 31, 2005

The DC figures and Trek seem like good choices with a Universal appeal. Having them sold at Target will certainly get them seen.

- Ian
                              Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• MRP
                                Persistent Member
                                • Jul 19, 2016

If I remember, at the Mego Meet panel it was said there would be 20 figures in the initial release. How many of these do we now know for certain?

4 DC (WW, Zod, Bats, Harley)
                                3 Star trek (Sulu and the 2 others pictured on the packaging)
                                2 I Dream of Jeanie
                                1 Action Jackson

that makes 10, with other lines (but not specific figures mentioned). Does Broadway Joe count as 1 of the 20? Do we know what the other 10 are yet (and by we I mean general public not those behind the curtain)?

I am in on the 4 DC, and likely the 3 Trek. I am not much of a classic TV guy (at least in terms of merchandise), so the others have limited appeal to me but I am glad folks out there are interested in them, but I am curious how the initial 20 releases will be rounded out.

-M
                                "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎