X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cdhall
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 14, 2004

Originally posted by TRDouble
    Oh man, I spent so much of my life toy hunting for Spider-Man Classics, Marvel Legends, DC Universe Classics, McFarlane Sports Picks, etc., etc., etc.! When I finally slowed way down on my collecting, it was a great feeling (a relief?) driving past a Toys R Us, Target, Wal-Mart, or even K-Mart with no desire to stop.

Now I find myself doing it again (to a much lesser degree) over the last few days after seeing early sightings of the Mego figures and getting that same feeling of disappointment when I walk all over the store, hoping to find what I know isn't there.

I have one more stop to make, my first and only "out of the way" stop looking for new Megos, then I am done. I might stop at my local Target, but I will just wait until Saturday night/Sunday morning. I am sure I will find some on the shelves (and probably most, if not all).
    Nope. None of that is fun. But it is kinda cool to see them in the stores to see that they are real. I keep wanting to stop at the endcap store I drive by everyday but today would have been the 3rd day in a row and there was no point. And it felt like a drag.

But if I drive by another one or two before Sunday I'll stop if it's justifiable. Since I'm on outside sales guy I can almost always justify stopping for the restroom or a new bottle of water. It was 109 Degrees here recently and broke a record.
    —-
    “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Message, Spock?”
    - Admiral Kirk

"...surely, the best of times."
    - Captain Spock
    https://youtu.be/tOtKcJtahKQ

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
      Career Member
      • Nov 22, 2011

Originally posted by Artistix
      It's awesome that Mego figures are back!

But I can't help but sigh a little...the hope for Nurse Chapel will rise again, & as usual is probably just a dream.

Tempted by Brady Bunch & Cheers.

I have the Classic TV Toys Married with Children figures, so don't think I'd need Mego versions that look far less like the actors. Still great to see the Bundy's included!
      I'm VERY hopeful we will see a Nurse Chapel and a Yeoman Rand. It would be a serious overlook on Mego's part if they don't delve more into female and alien Trek figures. There is still today a massive Classic Trek following.
      BTW, Your Avatar looks like a great Nurse Chapel figure. Did you customize that? Well done!!!!
      "May fortune favor the foolish"

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
        Career Member
        • Nov 22, 2011

Originally posted by JediJaida
        Wow! She's fantastic!
        I "think" that's a Barbie figure but, If Mego could get even close to that. I'm in.
        You're SO right JediJaida, beautiful figure!
        "May fortune favor the foolish"

Comment

• RonnyG
          Career Member
          • Apr 23, 2014

Originally posted by Capt_Kirk
          I "think" that's a Barbie figure but, If Mego could get even close to that. I'm in.
          You're SO right JediJaida, beautiful figure!
          It was me who posted that pic of the custom Endora doll. I think it is a Barbie, but she sure would make a great Mego figure, too, and I posted the pic to show the possibilities.
          I really should of gave credit to the person who created her, so here's the link: http://jewelsbyjulie.com/bewitched_endora.htm

Comment

• cdhall
            Persistent Member
            • Aug 14, 2004

Originally posted by theSamurai
            Just to be clear.. I don't post much because I don't always visit here daily/weekly, or have much to say when I do. But, I've been visiting here for a very long time (years and years). And I'm not new to this segment of the hobby or collecting in general. In fact, I've probably been doing it longer than most here.

With that being said, one of the reason I don't post is due to posts and replies like I've received. It's a strange vibe here at times, and there's a cool-kids table crowd thumping through the hallways for sure that I don't really strive to be part of. But, 'nuff of that.

All I wanted to do was share some info, so I have lots more to share, but since it's become an issue please PM me and I'll give those that want it all that I have.

I'll assume pmwasson and hedrap do not want any of it.

This seems a fair solution.

Best to everyone.
            Yeah, I left a few years ago because 2-3 people bullied me out of here. There were also 2-3 like Ivaniski who were just Princes among men. I have already taken some heat here again and after Sunday I may only come to look in on what's up. I think I have all the Megos I need now but I may keep up. If I have disposable income, this may be a good place to park it, maybe. My original goal is lost so I'm not sure why I bought the ones I just did. Except that I missed the Mirror Kirk and Spock by Emce(?) and wanted to right that wrong.

I also thought I may be getting some karma points for posting updates but while I was away for a day or two I missed a whole debate about jeopardizing licensing and I may go read that or just post a thought in a minute.
            —-
            - Admiral Kirk

- Captain Spock

Comment

• cdhall
              Persistent Member
              • Aug 14, 2004

So I was at a 4th Target in a new city/suburb today and scored a Drac for a buddy and learned some new stuff that may tie into the "jeopardizing the license" issue that I missed and that I haven't gone back to read.

I've been to 4 stores. 3 of them have stuff out early. All of them display in a different manner.

Today, store 4 had the Megos, some of the same Megos, at 2 (TWO) DIFFERENT Locations!!

If Mego struck a deal with Target to:
              a) Put these out on Sunday July 29
              b) Put these out in a specific manner/display/location

then Mego isn't getting what it signed up for. I don't know if that thought has occurred to anyone. I don't know what Mego negotiated and how, but they may not be getting it.

And I don't understand why they came out with Limited Editions, if I had money and motive, I could have bought 8 Mirror Dioramas and held them to scalp now.

I would have thought maybe coming back with "redos" so everyone could get what they want or "need" and then release limited editions later, that that would have been best for collectors but maybe not the best business strategy.

So anyway, I did previously scan the debate about jeopardizing and I love Paul. I think I bought the first 3D Chess set and posted photos and raved about him. He's great. I bought enough chairs for a project I was working on as I recall. I'm sure I have at least 6 chairs for the Enterprise.

But some of you know that I sell Legal and Identity Theft services and my background is in Radio-TV-Film and that I've always been aware of royalties and studios suing people and that is part of why I do that.

So if someone were making custom art based on an International Corporatioins Intellectual Property and not paying a license fee for whatever reason, I think the Axanar debacle (which I'm also only vaguely familiar with) demonstrated that those who live in glass houses should not throw sticks of dynamite.

My Entertainment attorney advised me in the 90s not to make a Star Trek Fan Film for EXACTLY the reasons Axanar was shut down some 15 years later. I still think I personally could have leveraged my idea for something but I don't think the guy that did Troops or any of the Trek Fan Film guys got a good ROI on their work so it was best perhaps that I waited until this year to do an original piece.

This museum is a wonder. Dr. Mego and Marty and all of you guys are great. I'm glad we met but my busy season is kicking in and I may be scarce. I hope to get that Drac to someone as my good deed and then I may move on.

This is a wonderful time. I hope everyone is taking it in. I would have missed this if I didn't know to come here and get the scoop. Now I have a full TOS crew for the playset my mom bought me when I was a kid. That is awesome. I need to show my mom now that I think about it.
              —-
              - Admiral Kirk

- Captain Spock

Comment

• hedrap
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 10, 2009

Just to be clear.. I don't post much because I don't always visit here daily/weekly, or have much to say when I do. But, I've been visiting here for a very long time (years and years). And I'm not new to this segment of the hobby or collecting in general. In fact, I've probably been doing it longer than most here.

With that being said, one of the reason I don't post is due to posts and replies like I've received. It's a strange vibe here at times, and there's a cool-kids table crowd thumping through the hallways for sure that I don't really strive to be part of. But, 'nuff of that.

All I wanted to do was share some info, so I have lots more to share, but since it's become an issue please PM me and I'll give those that want it all that I have.

Best to everyone.
                Look at your own words - you don't visit here daily/weekly. But you opted to undercut a number of people who've been involved in this development for sometime. It's their work, so it's their call.

If some goof at Target starts showing his scanner to whoever, that can't be helped. But coming here and not showing any deference to Doc, Pali or the other people who've been working overtime for this launch, is petty.

Do I know what's coming? Yeah, way more than you've posted, and I did it on my own while you're reading from a social media post. That's where you got Sulu/Uhura from.But I'm not holding open debate about it.

I'm sure some other toy site will post a spoiler list. At that point, Doc holds the cards because he has the prototype images.

Comment

• Liu Bei
                  Banned
                  • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by cdhall
                  Yeah, I left a few years ago because 2-3 people bullied me out of here. There were also 2-3 like Ivaniski who were just Princes among men. I have already taken some heat here again and after Sunday I may only come to look in on what's up. I think I have all the Megos I need now but I may keep up. If I have disposable income, this may be a good place to park it, maybe. My original goal is lost so I'm not sure why I bought the ones I just did. Except that I missed the Mirror Kirk and Spock by Emce(?) and wanted to right that wrong.

I also thought I may be getting some karma points for posting updates but while I was away for a day or two I missed a whole debate about jeopardizing licensing and I may go read that or just post a thought in a minute.
                  I don't think you or anyone else here has done anything wrong. I honestly don't see how talking about what's coming out when could jeopardize a license. I guess no one has adequately explained that yet. Would Mego and Target call up their factories in China and tell them to halt production and can everything because someone talked about it on the internet before an official announcement was made?

In every collector forum I've been a part of before (Star Wars, for example), leaks and speculation have been par for the course.

Comment

• J.B.
                    Guild Navigator
                    • Jun 23, 2010

Best to everyone.
                    Man, if only you'd chosen "Deep Throat" as your username, you would have had instant street cred and all of this nonsense would have been avoided.
                    You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                      Often invisible
                      • Jul 18, 2002

Sent to the cornfield.
                      Last edited by CrimsonGhost; Jul 27, '18, 12:27 AM.
                      Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Jan 19, 2008

Since when do we hate on the leakers? If they didn't sign an NDA, what's the problem?

Comment

• Teemu
                          Persistent Member
                          • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                          Since when do we hate on the leakers? If they didn't sign an NDA, what's the problem?
                          I don't get it either....leaks are exciting and keeps up the talk and interest.

Comment

• theSamurai
                            Banned
                            • Mar 27, 2017

Originally posted by hedrap
                            Look at your own words - you don't visit here daily/weekly. But you opted to undercut a number of people who've been involved in this development for sometime. It's their work, so it's their call.
                            Wasn't trying to "undercut" anyone. (Is this some contest or something more than a message board?) That would assume I had an agenda other than sharing info.

If some goof at Target starts showing his scanner to whoever, that can't be helped. But coming here and not showing any deference to Doc, Pali or the other people who've been working overtime for this launch, is petty.
                            Nothing you said in the above sentence pertains to me. I don't work at TARGET or get info from people/scanners there. Not sure why posting to a forum on MEGOs about what's coming out is "petty" but you're entitled to your views.

Do I know what's coming? Yeah, way more than you've posted, (Good for you, but again, I wasn't aware this was something to score.) and I did it on my own while you're reading from a social media post. (You assume an awful lot, I've never been to a social media page for MEGO.. ever.) That's where you got Sulu/Uhura from. (Wrong, but then you're wrong about most everything you've posted towards me.) But I'm not holding open debate about it.
                            Good, because this whole exchange based off a single post and the related animosity is unwarranted.

I'm sure some other toy site will post a spoiler list. At that point, Doc holds the cards because he has the prototype images.
                            (OK ??)
                            Last edited by theSamurai; Jul 26, '18, 10:17 PM.

Comment

• tmthor
                              God of Knock-offs
                              • Nov 29, 2005

I agree with this let's not hate on anybody.....as said elsewhere in this thread speculation of future releases is fun.....and yes top men have told me some of what is coming out.....I chose to keep my mouth shut (however I did slip a couple of times like saying I could not wait until August and I could not wait for the trek figures before they were announced) but some times people get so excited when they find out new info they want to share. I don't think they mean any harm.

Comment

• hedrap
                                Permanent Member
                                • Feb 10, 2009

I dunno. The guy doing most of the sculpts is the Museum's Norm. The guy deeply involved with the online promotions sorta runs this place too. The guy whose spent twenty years trying to make this a reality by keeping the brand alive, is personally friends with a lot of people here.

Maybe this is all too remote since you're too far to go to the Meet, but Mego's revival isn't some old toy exec deciding to get back in. It's a twenty year culmination of work and the main guy who pulled it off made good by bringing a number of his friends into the mix. That literally went down at the Meet. I wasn't part of it, but to hear about it first-hand...how can you not respect that? And if you can't respect it, then you can't appreciate what's been accomplished.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎