X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Really think there is a scalper's market for Al Bundy and Norm Peterson? Or Action Jackson for that matter.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Liu Bei
      Banned
      • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by thunderbolt
      Really think there is a scalper's market for Al Bundy and Norm Peterson? Or Action Jackson for that matter.
      In today's toy industry there are scalpers for almost anything, especially if it's in low production numbers. Realistically I don't think the Married with Children figures will be hit very hard by scalpers, but the Star Trek stuff (especially newer figures like Sulu) and Action Jackson I think will.

Another reason we might see scalpers/speculators pick these up is because Mego was recently featured heavily in Netflix's 'The Toys That Made Us." Anytime figures get mainstream attention you see a huge jump in interest. Look at what Remco's (and even Funko's ReAction) Karate Kid figures are going for on ebay thanks to "Cobra Kai." Anything scalpers/speculators even think there might be money in, they'll go for.

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

I doubt Aj will hold much interest. You can pick up vintage ones for 20 or less on Ebay so a 14.99 figure will hold no profit for a scalper.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Liu Bei
          Banned
          • Mar 31, 2018

I doubt Aj will hold much interest. You can pick up vintage ones for 20 or less on Ebay so a 14.99 figure will hold no profit for a scalper.
          You can pick up a vintage one that isn't mint for about $20. Compare that to one still on its card or MIB. Or look at how much an EMCE Star Trek figure on its card compares to a loose Mego one or even a loose EMCE one.

Anyway, I've got nothing invested in this discussion. I'll pursue it no further. We'll know the answer in a few weeks. I hope you're right and I hope I'm wrong.

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

I have a MIB one I tried to sell on ebay for 30 and it sat there for months till I gave up.

Comment

• Liu Bei
              Banned
              • Mar 31, 2018

I have a MIB one I tried to sell on ebay for 30 and it sat there for months till I gave up.
              Not sure why. The most recent listing sold for $109 (not including shipping):

The one before that sold for $60 (not including shipping):

The one before that went for $35 (shipping not included):

The non-bearded AJ's (like the one that Mego will be putting out at the end of July) seem to go for more than the bearded ones.

Regardless, I hope you're right. I hope that for once in their lives pathetic scalpers won't see this limited run as a chance to make money, and instead leave these toys for people who actually want them.
              Last edited by Liu Bei; Jul 14, '18, 5:13 PM.

Comment

• wise guy
                Career Member
                • Dec 29, 2014

The scalpers here like to go after specific figures and leave less valuable ones on the pegs.
                Star Trek will probably be targeted (like Blockbuster) while Cheers, and Married with
                Children, should be easier to find. I want a Jeannie figure so I hope she's easier to get

Comment

• hobub
                  Ghost of a Dead Indian
                  • Jun 18, 2001

Quick, somebody update Wikipedia. Mego “was” to Mego “IS” or add to the current plans. Someone with all the facts.

Comment

• cdhall
                    Persistent Member
                    • Aug 14, 2004

Originally posted by palitoy
                    Classic MEGO Figures Return Via Target Stores
                    by palitoy • July 11, 2018
                    The new line of collectibles hits stores and Target.com July 29...
                    https://wp.me/p3Loj6-2Ep
                    Somehow I missed this. Someone else said Aug 1st.
                    July 29 is Sunday morning, 3 days earlier.
                    I posted that Aug 1st is a Wednesday because I was trying to correct someone who said they’d be up on Sunday morning.
                    I guess Saturday night the 28th at midnight I’ll be online!
                    —-
                    “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Message, Spock?”
                    - Admiral Kirk

"...surely, the best of times."
                    - Captain Spock
                    https://youtu.be/tOtKcJtahKQ

Comment

• The Bat
                      Batman Fanatic
                      • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by cdhall
                      I guess Saturday night the 28th at midnight I’ll be online!
                      That's a good idea! I guess I will be too...I want that Romulan Commander BADLY!!!
                      sigpic

Comment

• Liu Bei
                        Banned
                        • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by The Bat
                        That's a good idea! I guess I will be too...I want that Romulan Commander BADLY!!!
                        I think something that we could all do, for whoever is willing, is maybe make a want list of what everybody here wants/needs, and then those of us who find extras can sell/trade with other members.

The ground rules would be something like this: If we sell to another member, there can be no sales for profit. We will only charge what we paid plus shipping to a fellow member. If it's a trade, it's a straight trade. Each side will cover whatever it takes to ship, unless someone has specific packing demands that run the total beyond expectations, in which case he/she would need to compensate the sender.

Does that sound like a good idea or not?

Comment

• glimpy
                          Loco Chango
                          • Feb 5, 2012

Just a couple weeks more
                          sigpic

Comment

• cdhall
                            Persistent Member
                            • Aug 14, 2004

Originally posted by The Bat
                            Maybe I’ll get 3 so I can swap or resell you one if you don’t get one.

I imagine the Marketplace will be jumping in August.

Ivaniski TOTALLY hooked me up a few years ago by going to FAO Schwartz for me and shipping me something (I forget but I recently saw a post on my gallery where I documented it and thanked him) so I would be happy to help The Bat beam the Romulan Commander into the The Batcave. I should PM you.

I expect they are releasing 3 Trek Figures at about $14.99 each (I don’t see how they make a 2 pack diorama from Sulu, Romulan Commander and Gorn Captain) so I was planning to have at least $90 ready to buy 2 each but I’ll pick up a 3rd Romulan Commander if I can and get it to you. I need to go check up on Ivaniski.
                            —-
                            - Admiral Kirk

- Captain Spock

Comment

• cdhall
                              Persistent Member
                              • Aug 14, 2004

And SDCC

Originally posted by hobub
                              Quick, somebody update Wikipedia. Mego “was” to Mego “IS” or add to the current plans. Someone with all the facts.
                              Someone needs to start a San Diego ComicCon thread here too and feed us pix and intel from the event.

Someone needs to take an extra person to San Diego and Facebook Live the whole thing!!

(Edit: This was my 950th Post! This morning at 4am Central the “server is too busy” and I couldn’t send PMs or post. It was frustrating. )
                              Last edited by cdhall; Jul 15, '18, 1:09 PM. Reason: Commemorate post 950!
                              —-
                              - Admiral Kirk

- Captain Spock

Comment

• The Bat
                                Batman Fanatic
                                • Jul 14, 2002

ALL good ideas guys. Maybe by working together with each other here at the Museum, we can all get the figures were after...and can BEAT the Scalpers.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎