Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

sad news indeed. I also find it very sad he died alone and apparently has no family to mourn him. thank you for the joy you brought the world with your creations. RIP!

Comment

• hedrap
      Permanent Member
      • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
      You know what...you're probably right. The Daily News here in NY ad a really small obit. Pathetic really. I mean Len Wein had a one that was half a page in Newsday when he passed. I was a little taken back when they said he was found on June 29th...which makes it more and more in my mind that the apartment and whatever he may have had in it will not be archived. It doesn't mention in the obit if he was married or had kids which I found odd.
      No known immediate family.

You got a point about the dates. He apparently died even earlier than the 29th. This reminds me of how some actors have it legalized that no announcement can be made until a certain amount of time has passed. It reads like he kicked it, the smell set in and the cops were called. I'm wondering if after they found him, if they contacted whoever his legal rep/agent was, and that person had his will. The would give them enough time to clear the place out.

Ya know...the more I think about, the more likely that whoever is made responsible for his stuff won't burn it. Even people in the Ayn Rand society understand the level of value he now carries.

Then again, what was the old story? Ditko used his old artboards to cut and make new ones?

So how long before the movie? And who plays Ditko? I see Adrien Brody

Comment

• hedrap
        Permanent Member
        • Feb 10, 2009

The Ditko docu...apparently he did sit down with Gaiman for this, but they weren't allowed to use it!

Comment

• MRP
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 19, 2016

Steve had been producing new material released only through Kickstarter with a partner who handled the campaigns and business side of it for several years, and there was a current kickstarter in progress when he passed. Supposedly the art for it was done weeks ago, so I am not sure if that volume will be released or not (probate will have to determine that), but there were several previous campaigns of material Steve had done that were released in recent years but probably never reached anyone beyond the campaign supporters and the handful of shop owners who backed the campaigns at a level where they got shelf copies for their stores. I think a lot of what will happen to the material left behind will be determined by the type of partnership he had with his kickstarter partner-was it just someone who handled the marketing for what Steve did or did they have an actual business partnership that had some kind of articles of incorporation that outlined ownership and use of the materials produced for it. Robin Snyder is the one who handled the Kickstarters and here is a link o the most recent campaign...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...yder-and-ditko

which looks to be the 20th they did.

-M
          "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by hedrap
            No known immediate family.

You got a point about the dates. He apparently died even earlier than the 29th...It reads like he kicked it, the smell set in and the cops were called.
            I'm not saying it's intentional, but that's crass.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MEMEGO
              Career Member
              • Sep 6, 2007

Every time I look at this, I get saddened.
              He died alone, I hope he did not suffer.
              This should not have happened, but on the other hand,
              Perhaps he died as he wanted. this may be what he wanted and he was happy to be alone.
              Who are we to judge.....

Comment

• hedrap
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                I'm not saying it's intentional, but that's crass.
                I'm being objective to point out the irony of his objectivist lifestyle. I think it's incredibly unfortunate he died this way. More than anything, I wish he was like Steranko and had magically appeared every once in a while, but he took this whole self-centered thing way too far.

That's why I'm hoping for a Kubrick scenario; a vault of treasures he's been cataloguing away for decades. Spidey was unfinished business to him, so I wonder if like back in the 80's, he thumbnailed and scripted his final arc and jammed it in a folder. I really want to believe he exiled himself to build a trove for release after his death. The impact would probably change the history and future of the industry.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎