X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

RIP Steve Ditko

One of comics' greatest creators, and perhaps its greatest enigma has passed.

Chris
    sigpic
  • emeraldknight47
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 20, 2011

Just heard about this. So saddened to hear of his passing. His artwork, while not as dynamic or lauded at Kirby's, was nonetheless a massive influence on the comic book industry in general. RIP, good sir. Peace and condolences to your family, friends and fans....
    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• MEMEGO
      Career Member
      • Sep 6, 2007

How sad this news is. May he REST in Peace.

Comment

• phil
        Persistent Member
        • May 11, 2007

I still like his version of Spider-Man the best. A skinny kid gets super powers and becomes a skinny kid in costume. I liked the way Peter Parker didn't change physically.

I also liked his Captain Atom and Blue Beetle stuff. His version of Doctor Strange is great!

Rest In Peace

Comment

• Blue Meanie
          Banned
          • Jun 23, 2001

RIP Spider-Man/Doctor Strange and all the other GREATS that you helped create. RIP Steve Ditko.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

RIP sir. I may not have always agreed with you, but I always admired you.

Such great characters: Spidey and his classic foes, the weird worlds of Dr. Strange, The Question and The Creeper. I loved Ditko's elastic dynamism and sense of design.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
              Eloquent Member
              • Jan 19, 2008

This makes me very sad. R.I.P.!

Comment

• Brown Bear
                Still Old School
                • Feb 14, 2008

Ninety is a good old age. Steve Ditko certainly made a significant impact on the world without a doubt. A huge loss.
                Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Hedji
                  Citizen of Gotham
                  • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                  I loved Ditko's elastic dynamism
                  I love the way you phrased that. His style was alive and refused to be limited by the confines of the medium. He could express human emotions in a way that was cartoonish, but accessible. I'll never forget reading the Ditko run on Spider-Man every night before bed. It seems an understatement to say our beloved Spider-Man would not be what he is without Steve Ditko.

Here are a couple of panels that held a lot of meaning for me, reading them for the first time as a 12 year old kid.

And the unforgettable sequence...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

^The 80s Marvel Tales sequential run of Lee/Ditko reprints made me a HUGE fan of Ditko's talents. It's STILL my favorite Spider-Man run!

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                      HULK SMASH!
                      • Apr 3, 2010

A true legend. His work shall endure eternally. R.I.P.
                      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• hedrap
                        Permanent Member
                        • Feb 10, 2009

^I'm with you on 80's Marvel Tales. Left a huge impression.

It's odd. I want to offer him condolences but he wouldn't want them because he saw it as a waste to focus on the past.

Man...what happens to that apartment could be the biggest story of the year. I'm worried that he has a will that stops anyone from trying to archive his property.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jun 20, 2011

I pulled out my ESSENTIAL SPIDER-MAN last night just to reminisce. Even in black-and-white, you can see what an innovator Ditko was in storytelling and style.
                          sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                            ^The 80s Marvel Tales sequential run of Lee/Ditko reprints made me a HUGE fan of Ditko's talents. It's STILL my favorite Spider-Man run!

Chris
                            That was my experience, as well. Those reprints were revelatory.

I wondered about his estate, too, Hedrap.
                            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                              Banned
                              • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by hedrap
                              ^I'm with you on 80's Marvel Tales. Left a huge impression.

It's odd. I want to offer him condolences but he wouldn't want them because he saw it as a waste to focus on the past.

Man...what happens to that apartment could be the biggest story of the year. I'm worried that he has a will that stops anyone from trying to archive his property.
                              You know what...you're probably right. The Daily News here in NY ad a really small obit. Pathetic really. I mean Len Wein had a one that was half a page in Newsday when he passed. I was a little taken back when they said he was found on June 29th...which makes it more and more in my mind that the apartment and whatever he may have had in it will not be archived. It doesn't mention in the obit if he was married or had kids which I found odd.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎