X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Cassettes are cool again.

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• cjefferys
      Duke of Gloat
      • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
      I would tell anyone that may be interested in Vinyl, or just music in any form, this is the forum to check out:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/

I've been a member for the last 5 + years and I think jimbutsu is also a member there. I've learned a lot and the one thing I would tell anyone is that you need to learn how to read the runout groove of any record you buy when it comes to vintage/early pressings/first pressings. Chad said that his copy of Thriller was lifeless...it may be that he got a later pressing within the early pressings of the album. It sold something like 20 + million copies worldwide. Each time they make a new pressing a new master must be made for them to press with. It's also like a photocopy...further away from the original the less the sound quality. As I mentioned before...it's the reason why a lot of early CD's that were pressed here in the US sound awful is because they were using 2nd/3rd generation copies of original master tapes.

One thing I will not buy these days are re-issues/re-masters. Especially at some of the ridiculous prices they are asking for what to my ears is inferior product. I'd rather go out and hunt down an original.
      Yeah, that's a great forum, I've been a member there for quite awhile as well. And it is one of the most active forums I regularly visit, probably because it's mostly old people like us who prefer to use "old fashioned" forums like this rather than social media, etc.

RE Thriller: considering how well it sold, I'm sure there were tons of different pressings and re-pressings early on. So lots of variables involved as far as how good the vinyl might sound.

RE Re-issues/remasters -you are correct about a lot of them, but some do sound really good. For example, the new Metallica box sets have really good quality vinyl that sounds awesome. They even got the included vinyl picture discs to sound good, I was really impressed about that aspect because picture discs almost always sound crappy.

Comment

• jimbutsu
        Memory *is* RAM!
        • Apr 11, 2002

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
        I've been a member for the last 5 + years and I think jimbutsu is also a member there.
        Quit stalking me, creep!

Seriously, though, it's a good place for info, though it does have to be taken with salt from time to time. There's some folks in there who get out over their own skis when it comes to unbreakable laws of physics, especially with digital music.

As for the records skipping on the more "entry level" tables, I'm not surprised. Some of the cheaper tables being made today are not very good quality wise and anything less than idea record wise will probably jump around a lot. The thing to keep in mind with that is that it can be a result of a lower quality/not very good profile stylus, which means that there's a very real possibility with some lower end gear that the equipment is actually chewing up the records, even if they aren't skipping or sounding bad right away.
        "If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

Comment

• jimbutsu
          Memory *is* RAM!
          • Apr 11, 2002

Oh yeah - Thriller. I bet there are some pressings that just don't sound that good just for the simple fact that they made SO MANY of that record. If you don't want to spend your life hunting, a good rule of thumb is to look at the jacket - the very earliest pressings only had Quincy Jones listed on the back as a producer, but this was quickly changed with an addition of Michael below as a co-producer. The Quincy Jones ones should always sound good if they're in good shape (and nothing weird like switching out a disc happened).
          "If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎