Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Back in the late 70's I used to have a Sgt Pepper 8-track that replayed the ending of the reprise …

Comment

• Marvelmania
      A Ray of Sunshine
      • Jun 17, 2001

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
      There's also the Paul McCartney and Wings Band On The Run in Quad (Purple casing) and Venus and Mars in Quad. Those can go for some serious $$$. Same goes for the early 8 tracks from Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. Again, it's all about the casing of the 8 track...not the typical black casing and collectible both by Led Zep collectors and 8 track collectors.
      Yeah it's pretty wild how that goes. I've got one of the pink Led Zep 8 tracks but that's the only one I have. Didn't know about the Paul McCartney and Wings tho, thanks for the info!!! In the past when I did sell some of my 8 tracks it seems that the buyers were always from Japan.

Comment

• jimbutsu
        Memory *is* RAM!
        • Apr 11, 2002

Y'all don't know nothing about top tier music reproduction -
        Shellac 78s are where it's at!
        "If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by jimbutsu
          Y'all don't know nothing about top tier music reproduction -
          Shellac 78s are where it's at!
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Target carries Walkmans again. Yeah, it's a budget brand. But who would of thought you could walk into a Target in 2018 and buy a Walkman.

BTW: My very old Kiss cassette still sounds really good.

Sony would make a mint if they'd reissue the original Walkman with a Guardians of the Galaxy Tie in.

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

It is shocking that they haven't done that, even in a limited release.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• cjefferys
                Duke of Gloat
                • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Marvelmania
                In the past when I did sell some of my 8 tracks it seems that the buyers were always from Japan.
                I'm not surprised at all, music in vintage formats, along with vintage clothing are even more popular in Japan than they are here. Great record stores over there!

Originally posted by Werewolf

BTW: My very old Kiss cassette still sounds really good.
                I stupidly threw out all my cassettes when I moved around 12 years ago, including a bunch of KISS ones. At the time they were just worth pennies on ebay and moving time is when I get rid of crap that's just taking up space. I regret this particular decision now. I still have a couple KISS 8-tracks though.

Sony would make a mint if they'd reissue the original Walkman with a Guardians of the Galaxy Tie in.
                They absolutely should have done that, but it's Sony, so I'm really not surprised, they mess up everything.

Comment

• spockoda
                  Museum Super Collector
                  • Jan 14, 2018

Are CD's too "sterile" of a listening experience for some people? I'm not quite old enough to have personally bought a lot of brand new vinyl records from stores back in the day so I'm not an expert on this but do people feel more "attached" to the buying and listening interactions with the records and cassettes?

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by spockoda
                    Are CD's too "sterile" of a listening experience for some people? I'm not quite old enough to have personally bought a lot of brand new vinyl records from stores back in the day so I'm not an expert on this but do people feel more "attached" to the buying and listening interactions with the records and cassettes?
                    To the listener that is used to it, records sound more "warm" compared to CD's cold sterile sound.

It's something you wont notice unless you've trained your ears --- which most people over 40 have done being brought up on records.

Also, many modern music producers tinker with the sound dynamics (see many Beatles remastered CD's).

This leaves the recordings sounding distorted and sloppy...

Comment

• noelani72
                      27inaleon
                      • Jun 25, 2002

I hear things in vinyl that I can't in a CD.
                      Vinyl, to my ear, has an entirely different depth.
                      I have all my records from before the end in 1986...and have been buying again for prolly the past five years now that I can get a minty Purple Rain.

I have also developed a distaste for some first pressing LPs from the 1980's...I have Pyromania and Thriller and I am not pleased with them one single bit...they have no life to them, just flat sound. Another one that upset my ear was the 2003/2004 KISS Symphony LP set. The vinyl isn't mastered worth a damn, but the iTunes download sounds far superior.

Comment

• jimbutsu
                        Memory *is* RAM!
                        • Apr 11, 2002

This is surprising to me - early pressings of Thriller are notoriously good sounding and very punchy.
                        "If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

Comment

• noelani72
                          27inaleon
                          • Jun 25, 2002

Originally posted by jimbutsu
                          This is surprising to me - early pressings of Thriller are notoriously good sounding and very punchy.
                          Intersting. I wonder if there were different versions pressed/mastered - as in AC/DC's Back in Black. The pressing we have was the one known for the best sound - and they aren't kidding. That thing has great punch.

Something I've not seen a lot of folks mention is this new age of players & vinyl and the skipping issue. I have a re-press Ozzy Diary of a Madman and on Crazy Train, that sucker will skip like there's no tomorrow unless I play it on my direct drive Audio Technica $300 player. Same LP has been played on three different players in the $70-$150 range (that are widely common in stores right now) and it skips. That's not the only new LP I have that does this. I sent three KISS LPs back to Amazon for the same reason...three of the exact same LP did the exact same thing unless I use a quality turntable. Weird.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                            Muddling through
                            • Oct 4, 2008

I use a vintage Magnavox console system with the original turntable. I figure it is late sixties. still sounds great. cost me $300 to have the turntable repaired but well worth it, IMHO

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                              Banned
                              • Jun 23, 2001

I would tell anyone that may be interested in Vinyl, or just music in any form, this is the forum to check out:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/

I've been a member for the last 5 + years and I think jimbutsu is also a member there. I've learned a lot and the one thing I would tell anyone is that you need to learn how to read the runout groove of any record you buy when it comes to vintage/early pressings/first pressings. Chad said that his copy of Thriller was lifeless...it may be that he got a later pressing within the early pressings of the album. It sold something like 20 + million copies worldwide. Each time they make a new pressing a new master must be made for them to press with. It's also like a photocopy...further away from the original the less the sound quality. As I mentioned before...it's the reason why a lot of early CD's that were pressed here in the US sound awful is because they were using 2nd/3rd generation copies of original master tapes.

One thing I will not buy these days are re-issues/re-masters. Especially at some of the ridiculous prices they are asking for what to my ears is inferior product. I'd rather go out and hunt down an original.

Comment

• glimpy
                                Loco Chango
                                • Feb 5, 2012

I still love the old crackling sound
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎