Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you like Comics Magazines from the 70's/80's like Creepy, Heavy Metal...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Do you like Comics Magazines from the 70's/80's like Creepy, Heavy Metal...

it often comes up in conversation with friends of mine of similar age, how much we loved the old school magazines of the 70's and 80's. Skirting the comics code to present material for a "mature audience", in a larger-than-regular-comic-book sized format that really showcased the art. You don't really see this format used much any more, which is a shame.

What are the Comics Magazines that you were into back in the day?

I really love Creepy, Eerie, Vampirella from Warren, or things like Savage Sword of Conan from Marvel, but for me Heavy Metal and Epic Illustrated really blew everything else out of the water with their full colour format on nice slick paper.

for folks that are interested, please check out the Cauldron Magazine Kickstarter for our homage to those classic magazine format comics. Featuring Supernatural Tales of Monsters/Kaiju, Witches, and Barbarians. We were fully funded well under 24 hour, so this project is definitely going to print!

Here is the cover, and some sample interior art.

Last edited by samurainoir; Jul 11, '18, 12:01 PM.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

I never got into Warren mags as a kid (my parents were very strict about anything horror related) but I love them now. Same with Heavy Metal (I know have a complete run of the first 5 years of Heavy Metal). As a kid I was into the Rampaging Hulk mag (later just Hulk) and got into Savage Sword of Conan and Epic Illustrated in high school (Starlin's Dreadstar led me to track down Metamorphosis Odyssey in Epic Illustrated) and from there, I discovered a ton of other material that led me to branch out. Star* Reach is one I have gotten into as an adult, as well as the slightly smaller but still bigger than comic sized Hot Stuf' from SalQ productions.

I love the magazine format with the bigger pages that let's the art stand out, and I am always on the look out for off beat comics mags when I go to shows or flea markets. In the early 80s there a lot of attempts to launch these kinds of mags that only lasted 1 issue but had great creative line ups.

One of these was Fantasy Illustrated by NBM, that featured a P. Craig Russell cover and work by Steve Englehart, Don McGregor, Tom Sutton and others. I was lucky enough to have both PCR and Stainless Steve sign this at a show earlier this year...

Another favorite of these was Adventure Illustrated it's sister mag, that had a gorgeous painted cover by Jim Starlin...

I am also a big Will Eisner fan and love both the Spirit Magazine started by Warren and continued b Kitchen Sink Press and of Will Eisner Quarterly

I love all the Marvel mags, form Deadly Hands of Kung Fu to Marvel Preview to Unknown Worlds of Science Fiction and all the horror mags.

Eclipse had a short lived magazine anthology as well that had a killer line up of creators as well...

There's a pair of Kirby one shot mags in the 70s as well...

Spirit World...

and In the Days of the Mob...

A couple of modern Image series have used the magazine format to launch series of do special issues, particularly those by Ed Brubaker and Greg Rucka.

Brubaker did a couple of Specials in his Criminal series in magazine format with throwback covers...

and Greg Rucka and Nicola Scott did a magazine sized issue to launch their Black Magick series...

I have been lately getting more of the Warren mags too, especially 1984/1994, Warren Presents and a handful of Creepy and Eerie issues here and there.

I adore this format for comics, and will have to check out that kickstarter as well.

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Bruce Banner
      HULK SMASH!
      • Apr 3, 2010

Yeah, absolutely loved those 70s and 80s magazines... Creepy, Eerie, Savage Sword of Conan, Rampaging Hulk, Heavy Metal, Epic Illustrated, POTA, etc.

PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• LordMudd
        Persistent Member
        • Aug 22, 2011

I really liked Playboy's Little Annie Fanny, a perfect mix of sex and satire. It made you think about the way the public figures of the time were acting.

CCC.

Comment

• Marvelmania
          A Ray of Sunshine
          • Jun 17, 2001

It doesn't get any better than a werewolf that knows kung-fu!!!! I loved the old Savage Sword and Savage Tales magazines back then

Comment

• boss
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 18, 2003

I never have had an interest in these.
            Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• MRP
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by boss
              I never have had an interest in these.
              Not even this one...

or this one...

???

-M
              "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• boss
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 18, 2003

^I never saw those growing up. They would have gotten my attention.
                Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• cjefferys
                  Duke of Gloat
                  • Apr 23, 2006

I love the old comic mags! Warren, Skywald, Heavy Metal, Epic Illustrated, all the Marvel mags, even bottom of the barrel trash like the Eerie Pubs. Looking forward to seeing your book Ed, looks great so far!

Comment

• Hedji
                    Citizen of Gotham
                    • Nov 17, 2012

I love these. Especially the horror ones. You were always guaranteed a more mature, creepier vibe in black and white. They usually hired artists that were well suited for the medium as well. Having said that, I never collected any runs of them, just random issues here and there. They usually had fantastic painted cover art too.

Comment

• glimpy
                      Loco Chango
                      • Feb 5, 2012

Absolutely love all the Warren I have many magazines of Warren tucked away including a large amount of the paperback books sold in the back of these magazines under the name Captain company.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
                        Career Member
                        • Nov 22, 2011

They were ok. I leaned more towards Vampirella
                        "May fortune favor the foolish"

Comment

• samurainoir
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Dec 26, 2006

CAULDRON MAGAZINE kickstarter
                          we are close to being 300% funded!

The creative team discusses the influence Eerie, Creepy, Vampirella, Epic Illustrated, Heavy Metal, Savage Sword of Conan, and other 70's/80's Comics magazines.

some more preview art:

My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• cjefferys
                            Duke of Gloat
                            • Apr 23, 2006

Looking good man!

Comment

• spockoda
                              Museum Super Collector
                              • Jan 14, 2018

I like the painted covers of some of the Marvel mags of the 70's. I was two issues away from a complete run of Tomb Of Dracula ages ago, so of course Dracula Lives! caught my interest as well. I still have some of those. I bought a few POTA issues at a flea market around 15 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎